Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: JuliusThomas good comments in article in today's TU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Quarterback Blake Bortles and receivers Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns are in their second year. Bortles has thrown for 1,630 yards with 13 touchdowns and seven picks. Robinson (488 yards and five scores) and Hurns (460 yards and four touchdowns) both remain on pace to go well over 1,000 yards with double-digit touchdowns. Tight end Julius Thomas caught seven passes for 78 yards and a touchdown in his first full game back.

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The Jaguars rank 12th in the NFL in passing yards with youngsters and a newcomer leading the way.

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The offense has something to build on under first-year coordinator Greg Olson.

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">“You see that we can move the ball,” Thomas said. “We can make plays. I don’t know if I’ve seen a lot of teams that are able to complete as many passes as we do down the field.”

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Bortles has completed 24 passes that have gained at least 20 yards. The only quarterbacks with more are Cincinnati’s Andy Dalton (28), Arizona’s Carson Palmer (27) and San Diego’s Philip Rivers (25).

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Robinson and Hurns have combined for 17 such completions.

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">“They deserve a lot of credit for playing above their years,” Thomas said. “We’re asking a lot of those guys, young quarterback and young receivers. … I’ve been extremely impressed with those young guys being reliable. That’s what it means to be a veteran, being in the right place at the right time.”

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Thomas wasn’t at the right place at the right time on Bortles’ pick six on Sunday. Still, that chemistry will build after being disrupted for several weeks following Thomas’ hand injury in the preseason opener.

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">“It’s not something that’s going to happen next week or the week after that,” Thomas said. “It’s going to be something that we continue to build. You don’t just get a great rapport with somebody after one season. … It’s coming along.”

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The whole article was about, since the defense is broken,the offense must do more

He's right that the Offense has improved but needs a stronger OLine & Running game to help out the Passing attack.

Quote:He's right that the Offense has improved but needs a stronger OLine & Running game to help out the Passing attack.

I agree. Once that line is beefed up, I think this becomes one of the better offenses in the NFL.
2 more years of rebuild. 2018 well be in the playoffs.
We've been so defense orientated the past decade that I forgot that an offense can win games too.
When you go back to before the season, it wasn't uncommon to see both the whiners and the sensible members of the board both have a poor season outing. Most expectations were minimal to being having at least 5 wins, to some who say probably 9-7 or 10-6. Unrealistic but we can all dream right? If you wish to dig through it I said I'd be satisfied with a 5-11 record, and seeing improvement as a team. 

The worst thing that happened, and it's showing, is losing Fowler. Granted we don't know what he would have production wise if he was healthy at this point, but I'd like to think that he'd have at least 3-4 sacks, but not only that, he would have opened up more opportunities for other players to get sacks as well. The plus with it is, next year we'll have him back with essentially 15-16 months to rehab it. All the while, he's been studying film, absorbing the playbook, etc. When the off-season comes and he can start doing stuff with his knee, he can really start to practice individually and build on his knowledge. So we'll have an experienced rookie who has a strong understanding of the NFL and plenty of time to rehab and gain faith in his knee. 

Alas, we'll also have a high pick in the next draft of course, which can be utilized to pick up an elite defensive player be it a DE, CB, or LB. I did not expect much out of the season, and none of you should have. What you wanted to see, was how Blake Bortles prepares and trains, if he's improved, and if he's doing better. The stats don't lie, garbage time or not, he has improved. And he'll continue to improve. You wanted to see the WRs get better. With the exception of Lee, we've gotten tons of production out of the 2 Allens from the last draft. Julius Thomas, after building chemistry with Blake, will even be more dangerous than his 7 catch 78yd performance with 1 TD. 

One more year. I know that's a tiresome statement, and unbearable for many, but I've watched football all my life, played it, and coached it. This team will seriously be legit after just 1 more season. Tough it out, good things come from those who wait. 

I am thinking we overpaid for jt. Still only seeing him for a few games tho. He is not a gronkowski more a finesse type te who will have to have the right scheme. I prefer a gronk type te who can break tackles dont think jt will ever be that. But hey I am admittedly pretty tough on the team right now.
Quote:I agree. Once that line is beefed up, I think this becomes one of the better offenses in the NFL.

Its funny how Blake actually played better against the Texans while under pressure than when he wasnt, I guess he's used to it from last year.

A lot of potential in Hurns & Robinson so the team has that going for it... they just need to get a running game (which I never thought I would ever say or type with all the years of Fred Taylor & MJD).
Quote:I am thinking we overpaid for jt. Still only seeing him for a few games tho. He is not a gronkowski more a finesse type te who will have to have the right scheme. I prefer a gronk type te who can break tackles dont think jt will ever be that. But hey I am admittedly pretty tough on the team right now.

Did you really think they were getting a Gronkowski? There is nobody in the league like Gronk. JT looks to be exactly what most knew he was, a receiving TE.