Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Safeties
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bench Cyp

Sample needs to get healthy

And what happened to Brown?
Quote:And what happened to Brown?

The pass rush.
Apparently they benched Brown for Evans, but I wonder if he wasn't really ready to go yesterday.

We have a collection of left fielders playing safety.
In a limited role, I actually don't think Evans has played that bad this year. Cyprien and Sample have not been good.

Quote:In a limited role, I actually don't think Evans has played that bad this year. Cyprien and Sample have not been good.

I have said it for a year now: Evans is not nearly as bad as is commonly believed.

He is not great. But solid IMO.
Quote:In a limited role, I actually don't think Evans has played that bad this year. Cyprien and Sample have not been good.

Quote:I have said it for a year now: Evans is not nearly as bad as is commonly believed.

He is not great. But solid IMO.

He's actually been better this season since he's starting to wrap up on tackles, but he still has no business playing free safety. He's a box safety whose been miscast. I don't think Brown has played poorly this season and I'm not sure why they'd bench a true free safety for someone who can't really roam sideline to sideline.
Evans plays with passion. Would like for him to use better judgement sometimes.
Can you talk TroyPolamalu out of retirement?

ProFootballFocus review of SS Cyprien after the Texans game

Safety John Cyprien’s (-5.5) bad form continued yesterday afternoon, as he was the lowest-graded defender on his team. While he did miss two tackles on his way to a run defense grade of -2.3, he had issues in the passing game too, as he earned the same grade for that aspect of his play. Cyprien was targeted five times by quarterback Brian Hoyer and allowed four receptions for 65 yards and a touchdown, leading to a passer rating of 158.3

Quote:ProFootballFocus review of SS Cyprien after the Texans game

Safety John Cyprien’s (-5.5) bad form continued yesterday afternoon, as he was the lowest-graded defender on his team. While he did miss two tackles on his way to a run defense grade of -2.3, he had issues in the passing game too, as he earned the same grade for that aspect of his play. Cyprien was targeted five times by quarterback Brian Hoyer and allowed four receptions for 65 yards and a touchdown, leading to a passer rating of 158.3

Ouch!

I do question the accuracy of PFF, but this agrees with what I saw yesterday.

Quote:ProFootballFocus review of SS Cyprien after the Texans game

Lest we forget his brilliant helmet-first dive tackle of a sliding quarterback.