Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Current Jags to build around and players to target in off-season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's time for loyal Jaguar fans to look towards the future. Looks like the team will have a new coach next season and possibly a new G.M., although Shad may give Caldwell 1 more year. That being said, which current players on the roster should be kept and which free agents/draft choices should be targeted?

Players to build around (foundation): Bortles, A. Robinson, Hurns, Thomas, Linder, Parnell, Cann, Yeldon on offense

On defense: Marks, Fowler, T. Smith, Colvin.

That makes 12 current players, and to be fair, still not sure about Bortles (inconsistent), Fowler and Cann.

Players to keep for depth and potential starter: Bowanko, Denard, Walters (reliable in slot), Greene, Joeckel(see below)-   on offense.

On defense: Abry Jones, Skuta, Sample, Davis, Cyprien (until his contract runs out- must improve), Michael Bennett, Poz (until

they get more speed at this position

Player to target in free agency:

1. T.Y. Hilton- could be available. Speedy weapon to complement the two Allen's.

2. Tashaun Gipson- Team desperately needs free safety.

3. Nigel Bradham- Linebacker upgrade.

4. Coby Fleener- Upgrade at 2nd tight end.

5. Bruce Irvin- another Leo. Had 2 sacks yesterday. Will be 28.

Draft:

The first pick will be in the top 6 again. It comes down to either a left tackle (Tunsil or Stanley) or a shutdown corner ( Hargreaves). This will depend on how Joeckel performs the rest of the season. If he doesn't improve his pass protection, they may have to go for the left tackle. With Fowler, Irvin, a healthy Marks, Bennett and Skuta they should take pressure off our corners. Gipson will also help greatly.

For the remainder of the draft, they need to take the BAP at cornerback in round 2 and take the BAP on defense for the last 5 round, Can the Jags win with these players moving forward?

Bortles

Yeldon/Robinson

Robinson/Hurns/Hilton/Greene/Walters

Parnell/Tunsil/Linder/Cann/Bowanko

Thomas/Fleener

Fowler/Marks/Irvin/ Jones/Bennett/Davis

Smith/Bradham/Skuta/Poz

Gipson/Sample or Cyprien

Colvin/House/2nd round pick in 2016

Shad will have to pay big bucks to get most of those free agents, but he has no choice. If Bortles does continue to develop, I believe the above roster would be capable of contending for a wild card next season and continue to improve after that? Your thoughts (other than recommending I be committed)?

First things first, the Jags have to get the next coaching hire right. I would prefer an established guy who can get the ship steering in the right direction. Problem is, I don't know who that guy is outside of the typical longshot names that are always thrown out like Cowher and Saban.

In the Free Agency I would go hard after Alex Mack and a secondary guys like Tashuan Gipson, Eric Berry, or Janoris Jenkins.

Draft-wise I would go defense heavy. I am torn between Bosa and Hargreaves but I lean more Bosa. A D-Line consisting of Bosa, Fowler, Marks, Odrik, and Davis could be real nice and it would also allow Fowler to move around more. We also need to get a young LB to take over for Poz.
Hilton was re-signed

Their is a thread about this at NFL at Large
it's only October and we're already on the clock.... SMH!!! :no:

At least Caldwell will get to pick first.

We dont need another freaking expensive WR we have 5 or 6 guys - Hurns and Robinson are set, Walters proved he can be a slot, and healthy Lee can be our explosive guy and Greene coming back would be a solid back up, plus Stearling should be a nice guy next year

Pass rush and play makers

Dream would be to get Gipson, draft Hargreaves plus you get Marks and Fowler back a year from ACL injuries 

Then go out and get a bunch of pass rushers in the draft and free agency 

If this team doesn't show some serious potential by the end of the year you aren't going to get any good, young free agents to come here without making them the highest paid player in the NFL

Honestly, the entire offense besides LT and LG have really solid potential. The defense is a disaster and Dave should go balls to the wall this offseason finding playmakers on defense.

First 3 picks in the upcoming draft should be defensive lineman/linebackers and then should really shoot for Irvin.

Fowler, Irvin, top 10 DE/DT and everything changes.
I think we're good on receivers. We need to put heavy focus on the coaching staff and the defense; then the O-line. We need defensive playmakes. I like going after Gipson. I wouldn't mind moving back in the draft and getting Jaylon Smith. Hopefully, Fowler ends up being a beast. I wouldn't mind going after Irvin as well. We need a lock down corner; preferable two. This zone crap we're playing is horrendous. We need some lock down coverage players. Finding them will be an issue though. House/Gratz are not them. Colvin is still up in the air. They are good depth though.

GO JAGS!!

My mistake about Hilton. Still think we need a speedy receiver. Can't count on Lee at all.

I know the expectation is that Dave will keep his job as of now, but if Khan starts hearing that Dave is seriously considering taking another LT with a high 1st (possibly #1 overall even) he should fire him that very second.
Joey Bosa or Jalen Ramsey.

Aldon Smith

Josh Norman or Sean Smith

Eric Berry or Rodney McLeod

Elite defense.

Bosa/VH3 in the draft

Then sign these guys in FA

Aldon Smith

Bruce Irvin

Eric Berry

Tashaun Gipson

Josh Norman

Now you're talking about an elite defense
Quote:Bosa/VH3 in the draft

Then sign these guys in FA

Aldon Smith

Bruce Irvin

Eric Berry

Tashaun Gipson

Josh Norman

Now you're talking about an elite defense
No to Josh Norman. Even Carolina fans are still weary about his success so far. Good player, but he's going to get paid like a top 3 CB when he's not even close.