Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Losing Culture and National Reputation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Winning is the obvious answer, but what can be done to change the losing culture and reputation that comes along with the Jaguars?

New ownership hasn't done it. 300 foot scoreboards and swimming pools haven't done it. Volunteering your home games to London hasn't done it. Drafting guys more popular GM's see as franchise players hasn't done it. New coach and GM hasn't done it. New uniforms and "look at us, we are different" helmets haven't done it.

What will do it?

This team seems to have a stigma around it that just prevents it from getting better. Bad bounces on forced fumbles, tipped balls that land where nobody happens to be, injuries to high draft picks, multiple draft picks that were "steals" not working out, waiting until things are long overdue to take action. What will change our luck? Is it just a matter of getting rid of anything and anyone that can be associated with the bad times? Getting a new marketing department whom doesn't make us look even worse with silly marketing slogans? 

In the history of the NFL, which franchises have been as snake-bitten as ours and recovered to be a respectable franchise?

What is it going to take for this team to turn the corner?
I would say the Bengals (Bungles years) were once as bad and maybe the Saints(Aints years).  But I agree, there is a culture of losing and it is disheartening to say the least.

When you ask about turning the corner, one needs someone to steer.
Losing is a disease.. as contagious as polio. Losing is a disease.. as contagious as syphilis. Losing is a disease.. as contagious as bubonic plague. Attacking one, but infecting all. But curable. Now, I want you to imagine you are on a ship at sea... gently rocking.. gently rocking.. gently rocking...
Quote:Losing is a disease.. as contagious as polio. Losing is a disease.. as contagious as syphilis. Losing is a disease.. as contagious as bubonic plague. Attacking one, but infecting all. But curable. Now, I want you to imagine you are on a ship at sea... gently rocking.. gently rocking.. gently rocking...

So, what is the vaccine?
Wonderboy.. [BLEEP]. Wrong sport.
Quote:So, what is the vaccine?

Nick Saban.
Quote:I would say the Bengals (Bungles years) were once as bad and maybe the Saints(Aints years). But I agree, there is a culture of losing and it is disheartening to say the least.
Yup. The Bungles had just about a decade of futility (what the Jags are currently going through in year 7). Although, during that span the Bungles did post an 8-8 record or two.

Anyway,, Cincy finally broke out of it when they got a guy who's great at drafting (Marvin Lewis,, they didn't have a GM). Even though the Bengals had early draft picks for years,, it didn't necessarily translate into wins. Lewis kept drafting solid, year after year, and the past decade has seen that come to fruition (yes,, no playoff wins, but constant competitiveness and ability to beat the upper-tier teams with fair consistency).

Anyway, for the Jags,, coaching aside, they need to put together some more solid drafting for the next 4-5 years. The draft picks that'll stick from the past 3 years are still young (you can see this teams core slowly,,very slowly,, coming together). A few more solid drafts, and the Jags will be out of their decade of futility with a nice offensive and defensive core.

Well,, they will need a coach that can produce those drafted cores into win results. But, if DC can hit on a few more players from the next 2-3 drafts (particularly on defense or the O-line), Jags will be solid AFCS contenders again.

More cowbell
Quote:Nick Saban.

I think Khan definitely needs to make a sexy, big higher for the next head coaching job. I am not sure Saban is that guy as he will be 64 years old and would want full control of the team operations. Still it would be nice to get a guy in here to change the whole perception if the team but I am not sure who that guy could be.

Bill belichick. Pay the man Khan. Give him an offer he can't refuse. Thanks!
Not bothered by yesterday's loss. We're on track for another top 5 draft selection. Keep finding ways to lose
Quote:Bill belichick. Pay the man Khan. Give him an offer he can't refuse. Thanks!

Would Bill refuse a $30 million/yr contract offer?
Quote: 

<div>Winning is the obvious answer, but what can be done to change the losing culture and reputation that comes along with the Jaguars?

New ownership hasn't done it. 300 foot scoreboards and swimming pools haven't done it. Volunteering your home games to London hasn't done it. Drafting guys more popular GM's see as franchise players hasn't done it. New coach and GM hasn't done it. New uniforms and "look at us, we are different" helmets haven't done it.

What will do it?

This team seems to have a stigma around it that just prevents it from getting better. Bad bounces on forced fumbles, tipped balls that land where nobody happens to be, injuries to high draft picks, multiple draft picks that were "steals" not working out, waiting until things are long overdue to take action. What will change our luck? Is it just a matter of getting rid of anything and anyone that can be associated with the bad times? Getting a new marketing department whom doesn't make us look even worse with silly marketing slogans? 

In the history of the NFL, which franchises have been as snake-bitten as ours and recovered to be a respectable franchise?

What is it going to take for this team to turn the corner?

</div>
A great QB(not just good) and a average to above average defense....See the history of the saints and falcons

We're not the only one's; just the most current.

Detroit's horrible years. Remember San Fran a decade ago; they could barely scrape together 3 wins? Cincinatti wasn't that good for a while. Most teams go through this. It just seems like we've been in this forever............ It's hard to see any kind of change and progress with this stinkfest.

Vaccine? Find the right coaching staff. The current one is unfortunately, not it. Find more playmakers on defense. We currently have none..... Get more consistent play with O-line and get rid of players like Slowby.

We should be at worst 3-3. Instead, we are now 1-5. This really comes down to coaching and our playcalling. Some of it is burdened to dumb throws by Bortles or costly mistakes/penalities as well. But that could be attributed to coaching as well. We'll see I guess.

GO JAGS!!

Quote:Would Bill refuse a $30 million/yr contract offer?

If I were Khan I'd give Bill 50mil a year,49% control of the team and Kismet II.....if someone invented an anti-aging device.

Probably a good reason I'm not an NFL owner.
Quote:If I were Khan I'd give Bill 50mil a year,49% control of the team and Kismet II.....if someone invented an anti-aging device.

Probably a good reason I'm not an NFL owner.

Hahahaha
What changes a losing culture?

Winning?

What changes media perception?

Winning in the playoffs.

We gotta worry about winning some games first before we worry about national media perception

cuz even the browns can win 7 games and still look like a joke, we gotta be a playoff team to change perception

It will change when we get lucky and draft the next Tom Brady in the 6th round.

Quote:It will change when we get lucky and draft the next Tom Brady in the 6th round.

DC and GB would waive him before he even got a chance.
Pages: 1 2