Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who is the better head coach?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
IMO, JDR is probably the best of the bunch.

JDR is the best of the bunch for me as well.

I don't think that hiring Bradley over Arians was a mistake. I think that, at the time, Bradley was seen as a very dynamic, promising young coach by several teams (remember, he'd be coaching the Eagles now if Kelly had said no), and that fit what the Jaguars were after. Arians is an older, more cerebral coach, and although time has proven him to be a very good HC, there were many more questions about his long-term prospects in 2013 than there were Bradley.

Hindsight being 20/20, Arians has absolutely, without question, proven to be the better coach, and I wish he was here, but I honestly think that he would have been viewed by the fanbase as another Mularkey, and that's exactly what Khan and Caldwell wanted to avoid.

Quote:JDR is the best of the bunch for me as well.

I don't think that hiring Bradley over Arians was a mistake. I think that, at the time, Bradley was seen as a very dynamic, promising young coach by several teams (remember, he'd be coaching the Eagles now if Kelly had said no), and that fit what the Jaguars were after. Arians is an older, more cerebral coach, and although time has proven him to be a very good HC, there were many more questions about his long-term prospects in 2013 than there were Bradley.

Hindsight being 20/20, Arians has absolutely, without question, proven to be the better coach, and I wish he was here, but I honestly think that he would have been viewed by the fanbase as another Mularkey, and that's exactly what Khan and Caldwell wanted to avoid.
That is a reasonable answer to the second question, the only reason I would disagree is that he was essentially Indy's head coach the year before, and won coach of the year honors if I remember correctly.
JDR

No

1.  Of course I'm gonna pick JDR...  Is Marrone worthy of becoming the next HC of the Jaguars?  I don't know...  I'd prefer us actually spending money on getting the best coach available.  I don't think Marrone is that...

2.  Caldwell is building team that is the most talented overall in the AFCS...  He's doing a bang up job

OK, so I'm noticing something interesting.... Gus Bradley only got one of the six votes in question 1, but there are 3 people saying it wasn't a mistake to hire him over Arians.

Arians is lightyears ahead of the 3 mentioned in question 1, so how does that work?

Quote:JDR

No

1.  Of course I'm gonna pick JDR...  Is Marrone worthy of becoming the next HC of the Jaguars?  I don't know...  I'd prefer us actually spending money on getting the best coach available.  I don't think Marrone is that...

2.  Caldwell is building team that is the most talented overall in the AFCS...  He's doing a bang up job
Why do you say no, that it wasn't a mistake to hire Bradley over Arians? I'm just curious?
You can agree with dave's talent acquisition, but that doesn't mean Gus was a good hire. Right now, it appears to be far from such.

Quote:OK, so I'm noticing something interesting.... Gus Bradley only got one of the six votes in question 1, but there are 3 people saying it wasn't a mistake to hire him over Arians.

Arians is lightyears ahead of the 3 mentioned in question 1, so how does that work?

Who knows if Arians even wanted to come here. Like of course in retrospect it would've been nice but that's always a slippery slope. I doubt many people were calling for Arians to be the next head coach here at the time. He had never been a coach before.
Quote:You can agree with dave's talent acquisition, but that doesn't mean Gus was a good hire. Right now, it appears to be far from such.

He might've picked Gus because he knew he had the style of personality that would resonate well with all the young players we have. Maybe he is awful at the X's and O's but there's no doubt the players are continually playing hard for him and not giving up on the team like in Miami.
Quote:Who knows if Arians even wanted to come here. Like of course in retrospect it would've been nice but that's always a slippery slope. I doubt many people were calling for Arians to be the next head coach here at the time. He had never been a coach before.
Again, I'd argue that his success in Indy as the interim coach for the vast majority of 2012 was much more experience than what Gus Bradley had
Quote:He might've picked Gus because he knew he had the style of personality that would resonate well with all the young players we have. Maybe he is awful at the X's and O's but there's no doubt the players are continually playing hard for him and not giving up on the team like in Miami.
I agree with this. I think the goal was to try to provide a "college" atmosphere to make the transition easier for them all and to maintain their confidence. However, I think we are at the point where this style isn't really effective anymore. They need more of a strategist.
Quote:I agree with this. I think the goal was to try to provide a "college" atmosphere to make the transition easier for them all and to maintain their confidence. However, I think we are at the point where this style isn't really effective anymore. They need more of a strategist.

Caldwells thinking very easily could've been that they need 3ish years to overhaul the roster so a guy like Gus is a good fill in and if he ends up doing well then great we can keep him and if not then once are roster is ready to compete which will be the beginning of next year by all accounts then we can find a new coach then.
Quote:Caldwells thinking very easily could've been that they need 3ish years to overhaul the roster so a guy like Gus is a good fill in and if he ends up doing well then great we can keep him and if not then once are roster is ready to compete which will be the beginning of next year by all accounts then we can find a new coach then.
I mean that's the optimistic view. Could also explain why he wanted to hold off on blake playing (didn't want him ruined).
I think Gus was the ultimate "Yes" man. It would have probably been incredibly difficult to find a high functioning coach who would be willing to put up with the crap roster they had in years 1 and 2.

IIRC, Arians was hired by the Cardinals (or at least was on the way to be) before Khan hired Caldwell. Is that incorrect?

I knew he was who I wanted from the beginning, but I was happy with the Bradley hiring at the time.
Quote:Why do you say no, that it wasn't a mistake to hire Bradley over Arians? I'm just curious?

Cuz I don't play the 20/20 hindsight game.  

What I do play is the "right now" game.  Right now, it's clear that any coach would have been a better call than Bradley...  But if I was to say, Oh yeah, Arians was the man...  We could still be at this same exact place.  There's too many variables to determine it.  Maybe you're right.  Maybe Caldwell would have been better served not hiring Bradley.  But how can we actually really say that?  Arians took over a vet team.  That team had the entire roster already built.  It's very easy to surmise that Bradley could be the darling now, and Arians the garbage of our team.  

Senarios suck because they are laden with hypotheticals.

There's too many variables, and it's too much to actually type through.  

Just so we're clear.  I'm pretty negative about Bradley, but I still think he has a chance to win.  But it's doubtful.  However, when the decision to hire Bradley came down the pike, one could not fore-tell how the front office dictated to him his terms.

I honestly don't care about the first 2 seasons.  Those first 2 seasons were a clear blow up.  Which, if any GM ever tells us we need to do, we should pitch fork them.

But it's about this season.  We're 1-4, we should be 3-2...  That's all coaching.  The talent is there.  That's the bottom line.
Quote:You can agree with dave's talent acquisition, but that doesn't mean Gus was a good hire. Right now, it appears to be far from such.

meh...  Gus may not be a great HC...  He's clearly lost during the actual 60 minutes on Sundays.  But you gotta like the fact that the offense is not stiffled.  The D sucks...  That's what kills all of us.

Gus should be better than that.  He should realize that his scheme ain't working and figure out something better.  He can't.  He should probably be fired.  But let's see what happens over the next 2 weeks.

A win over the Tin Horns and a win in London, and he saves his job until the end of the season.  If he loses either of those games, we should just tear of the band aide...
Bill Belicheat was the Browns coach from 1991 - 1995.

Wonder if the Browns fans were posing a similar poll on The Dawg Pound Message Board ?

Perhaps it went like this .... Who's a better coach, Bill Belichick or Marty Shottenheimer

Quote: 

Perhaps it went like this .... Who's a better coach, Bill Belichick or Marty Shottenheimer

Dude...  If we could get Marty right now, I'd totally drool all over myself...

I know that it's an easy hate.  But Marty Schottenhiemer was a great coach
Marty is like 100 years old and I don't believe ever won a playoff game.  He was a good mediocre coach.

JDR I admit I wanted him gone but he is Tom Landry compared to gus.

Pages: 1 2