Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Telvin Smith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
2nd in the nfl in tackles. At least someone is putting in the work on defense.  Pro bowl here we come woohoo!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player...talTackles

He would have a better year if the rest of the Defense would step up and do their jobs!

Telvin Smith is da man.

It was sad that he had run from the line across the field to make that one tackle when no one else would...

Quote:It was sad that he had run from the line across the field to make that one tackle when no one else would...
Yeah that really bothered me. I was seriously wondering if some of these players want it as much as he does. Sucks that he plays with such poor tackling teamates
That is a sign that the HC needs to be let go, when the players give up on the field.

Good point DewIT. Let's also not forget our coach giving up on calling timeouts in the 4th quarter.

Quote:That is a sign that the HC needs to be let go, when the players give up on the field.
I agree. My only problem is that The offense is progressing under olsen, and I would hate for bortles to have to restart another offense for the 3rd straight year under a new head coach

If and its a big If GM Dave Caldwell is retained and HC Gus Bradley is let go, when the GM ( i assume) picks the next HC he can't let be known that OC Olson will be retained along with OL/Ast HC Marrone but to me if you are going to bring in a new HC you have to let him make those kind of choices or why bring him in?

Unfortunately, his coverage skills are horrible.
Quote:If and its a big If GM Dave Caldwell is retained and HC Gus Bradley is let go, when the GM ( i assume) picks the next HC he can't let be known that OC Olson will be retained along with OL/Ast HC Marrone but to me if you are going to bring in a new HC you have to let him make those kind of choices or why bring him in?
I understand that. Thats why I was stating that I was still apprehensive about it all. 4 offensive playbooks in 4 years is going to hinder any quarterback. Just look at what happened to big ben 2 years ago. He was given a new offensive coordinator and it took 2 years till he was comfortable enough to showcase that high powered offense. I feel as though Bortles is the answer and I want him to have the best chance to succeed for our teams sake.

Well, if GM Dave Caldwell fires Gus he could make Marrone the interm HC in which he retains OC Olson & if he can turn things around to make the team get at least six or eight wins maybe they keep him for another year to see if he can do better than Gus?

Wouldnt be my desired HC but its one way to retain the Olson as the OC, but you might lose the DL coach who is best friends with Gus for example... could cause a fall out...

Get a proven defensive coach and keep Olson and Marrone to run the offense
Quote:Well, if GM Dave Caldwell fires Gus he could make Marrone the interm HC in which he retains OC Olson & if he can turn things around to make the team get at least six or eight wins maybe they keep him for another year to see if he can do better than Gus?

Wouldnt be my desired HC but its one way to retain the Olson as the OC, but you might lose the DL coach who is best friends with Gus for example... could cause a fall out...

1. Marrone did pretty well in Buffalo without a viable starting QB. He'd be an improvement, but I don't think I'd want him as a long term head coach for the Jags.

2. Hire Missouri's DL coach. They seem to have a star pass rusher or two every year.

Quote:Good point DewIT. Let's also not forget our coach giving up on calling timeouts in the 4th quarter.
Gus needs to prove it, i agree.  My question is this though,  If you were watching the same game that i was, then what makes you think that we would have somehow stopped the Bucs from pushing the ball down the field?  Are people even watching the games?  I mean we were getting abused by the run because we have holes at LB and S, not to mention DL issues.  We probably would've only gotten the ball back by chance with no timeouts and little to no time left down a TD as well. 

My problem was with not going for it on 4th down when we punted.  Thats it and i can live with that knowing we were exposed on Defense due to holes and mistakes.  I see the agenda by alot of people on here though and it only grows stronger the more we lose.  Winning cures everything.

Quote:Unfortunately, his coverage skills are horrible.
At the moment they aren't great,luckily he has the physical attributes to make huge improvements in them if he sets his mind to it. 
Quote:1. Marrone did pretty well in Buffalo without a viable starting QB. He'd be an improvement, but I don't think I'd want him as a long term head coach for the Jags.

2. Hire Missouri's DL coach. They seem to have a star pass rusher or two every year.

As to number one, why wouldn't you want Marrone as long term HC, assuming Bradley isn't?

He coached Buffalo to its first winning season in ten seasons without the benefit of a starting QB.  He left Buffalo because of a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave if Ralph Wilson was not the owner.

Here, he'd have Bortles and at least two good WRs. 

I think he is familiar enough with Bortles strengths and weaknesses to transition to his offense with the least amount of disruption to Bortles/greatest amount of continuity short of retaining Olsen as offensive coordinator.
Quote:Unfortunately, his coverage skills are horrible.
I think horrible is a little harsh. I think he's better than Poz is coverage and will surely get better.
He's fun to watch isn't he? He reminds me of Derrick Brooks from top to bottom. Like someone already pointed out. If they can just get some pressure with the front four the entire secondary would benefit and so would the linebackers. Especially Telvin. He's got incredible range and speed and he could make some plays back in coverage if we could just get after the QB here and there.

Quote:2nd in the nfl in tackles. At least someone is putting in the work on defense.  Pro bowl here we come woohoo!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player...talTackles

Poz was up there as well before missing the game last week. It's shocking how much he was needed.

The thing is, this is more of a sign that the DL is not doing its job. They really need Sen'Derrick back in there and at the top of his game. Simply put, if our defense is entirely healthy they're not that bad, but there's close to zero defensive depth on this team. With few exceptions, when we're down any starter it's huge, and that goes for our LEO Fowler as well which is a huge loss all season long. There does seem to be some depth in the secondary, but that's a little misleading as they tend to need all of their dbs healthy to field an effective secondary for an entire sixty minutes. Up front we're not doing ourselves any favors when Alualu is forced to play, and Roy Miller looks like he's a bit overwhelmed at times. I'm almost wondering if Abry Jones should take over the starting role for Miller, but there's still a hole at the 3-tech as long as Sen'Derrick remains out.

Pages: 1 2