Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is Yeldon better than Robinson?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Yeah I know it's kind of irrelevant given that Robinson is hurt but comparing the two backs given their respective circumstances as starters it just seems Yeldon was given the starter role on default due his draft selection.

Denard Robinson was a 5th round pick, QB converted to a RB. So I'm giving him a pass on his 2013 rookie season as he never played the position. But in 2014, he had 135 attempts for 582 yds, 4.3 average, 4 TDs and a long of 40 in 9 starts. He had a nice little stretch in the season where he was averaging 90+ yds a game until he got hurt.

TJ Yeldon was a 2nd round pick. He has a little over half the number of attempts of Denard in 2014, with 81 attempts for 291 yds. His average is 3.6 ypa with a long of 36. 0 TDs in 6 starts.

I know it's early but I don't see anything that indicates Yeldon will be the long term answer at RB. I also know we've also had line issues this year but one could argue they were worst last year and we didn't have much of a passing game. I want to like Yeldon but in his time here I haven't seen much that would indicate he was worthy of a 2nd round selection.

I hope they address this position again but we are talking about Dave Caldwell, the same guy that actually kept a roster spot for Toby Gerhart.

I know Some will disagree, that's okay but I personally don't enjoy mediocrity.
Yes
Robinson certainly doesn't seem as durable and Yeldon has better hands, has better cuts and is a better blocker. Robinson is a better open field runner and is faster.

If we can keep Robinson healthy I think we'll have a solid 1/2 punch in the backfield, they're very different style running backs. I don't ever see DRob being a 3 down back.

Funny and a bit pointless but we could be 3-2 with DRob in the backfield. Last week after Yeldons big run to get us in FG range Gerhart came in as relief and ended up losing 5 yards making getting that first down hard. This week they put Grant in as relief and he ended up fumbling into the endzone. Robinson would have most likely been the relief guy in these situations and is better than either of those guys.

Yes

Quote:Yes

Based on?
Quote:Based on?

Our eyes
yes and Robinson can not block

Yeldon is the more complete back.  Robinson is more of a change of pace back in my eyes.

They compliment each other really well if we could just get them on the field together
Yes.

Based on vision, instincts, feet, tight space elusiveness, power, hands, and pass protection.
Quote:Yes.

Based on vision, instincts, feet, tight space elusiveness, power, hands, and pass protection.
that sums it up well. plus his last name looks cooler on the jersey.
Quote:Yes.

Which has translated into?
Quote:Which has translated into?

Being productive despite having 0 run blocking.
Being the best natural running back we have had behind only Taylor and MJD.
Him being a better back?

Yeldon lacks experience, if he continues as he has I fully expect a very good year for him next year.

It would help if the OL could run block better.

Robinson is a good compliment but Yeldon has the ability to be the main guy.
Quote:Being the best natural running back we have had behind only Taylor and MJD.

Are you serious?
Quote:Are you serious?

Honest question. Do you watch the games?
Quote:Honest question. Do you watch the games?

I see Yeldon missing blocks and gaining very little per attempt. But apparently our running game is improving. Ok.
Quote:I see Yeldon missing blocks and gaining very little per attempt. But apparently our running game is improving. Ok.

What are you talking about? You asked who is better and seem to be upset that everyone knows that Yeldon is clearly much better.
Quote:I see Yeldon missing blocks and gaining very little per attempt. But apparently our running game is improving. Ok.

All accounts I've seen and heard say that he blocked well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4