Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Should Gus start calling defensive plays?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I said last week, Olson is fine, the offense needs to execute, and they did. 31 points should be plenty for an offense.

The defense is a different story. Gus is a good DC, he's built a defense of his type of players that seem to have the talent. Arians, Kelly, and Peyton are coaches who call offensive plays. Rex Ryan calls the defensive plays for Buffalo and previously NY.

Would the Jags defense be better with a play caller who knows more about how to properly scheme this defense? It sure seems Babich doesn't do a good job.

I'm not saying he demote himself to DC, but when the current one is working, maybe start making those calls yourself.
I thought he already did? I know he took over that role last season.

Quote:I thought he already did? I know he took over that role last season.

I couldn't find anything saying he does this year. If I'm wrong well then idk what to do lol
Until we figure out that our front 4 can't get to the qb and we actually bring pressure on 3rd and long consistently, we are going to get the same results.  Whoever is doing the play calling should really consider bringing more pressure.  Especially against weaker offensive lines and rookie quarterbacks. 

Gus is already listening to the band play while the ship is sinking. He should try anything and everything he can to stop the bleeding.

Quote:Gus is already listening to the band play while the ship is sinking. He should try anything and everything he can to stop the bleeding.

The problem is that it isn't his scheme. His scheme is to rush 4 and get pressure that way. Gus already doesn't make in-game adjustments, do you really expect him to radically alter the defensive scheme he has practiced and prepared all season/off-season long?
Quote:The problem is that it isn't his scheme. His scheme is to rush 4 and get pressure that way. Gus already doesn't make in-game adjustments, do you really expect him to radically alter the defensive scheme he has practiced and prepared all season/off-season long?

This is why I feel sorry for him even though I shouldn't. Marks and Fowler are a major factor in what he is trying to do defensively and losing them has not helped.

The problem is being stubborn enough to stick to your scheme when you clearly don't have the personnel do so.

Gus should be wearing the Jaxson De Ville costume and be jumping off the light posts.
Quote:Until we figure out that our front 4 can't get to the qb and we actually bring pressure on 3rd and long consistently, we are going to get the same results.  Whoever is doing the play calling should really consider bringing more pressure.  Especially against weaker offensive lines and rookie quarterbacks. 

Yes, we're lacking beef in the middle (DTs), end pass rushers (DEs), and a solid MLB.
Quote:This is why I feel sorry for him even though I shouldn't. Marks and Fowler are a major factor in what he is trying to do defensively and losing them has not helped.

The problem is being stubborn enough to stick to your scheme when you clearly don't have the personnel do so.

Look at who played yesterday. Look at the injuries on D. They don't have the personnel to make any scheme work at the moment. It's no excuse, they should play better, but I'm not going to sit back and say that Marks Clemons Poz Fowler and whoever else is out or has been hurt hasn't had a major impact on the D.
Quote:Yes, we're lacking beef in the middle (DTs), end pass rushers (DEs), and a solid MLB.
All positions that we have an injured intended starter.

Edit: I don't think it's a stretch to say Marks Fowler and Poz were our 3 more important players going into this season. On D anyway.
He doesn't know. He needs to look at the tape first.