Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: There are 0 playmakers on defense. 1 int all year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Last year the offense was the problem.  This year it's the defense.  For some odd reason the Jags stars will not align.  Two weeks in a row when the team really needed to get the opposing offense off the field they have failed.  The only int was by the MLB.  The rare chance they can recover a fumble the challenge or penalty goes the other way.  The defense IMO is the weakest area of this team.

Holding your hopes up for Marks is a long shot.  He is a good player but no star player recovering from major surgery.

When the whole season they've been playing soft zone coverage with no blitzing and barely any pass rush, thats expected
The worst defensive line in the league backed by one if the leagues worst linebacker corps, David Caldwell needs to devote alot of resources in reshaping both of these units next offseason.
Because Caldwell sucks at drafting defense.
Quote:Because Caldwell sucks at drafting defense.

And free agent signings
The D-line was supposed to be the strongest, deepest position on the roster.  The LB corps was supposed to be fixed with the addition of Skuta.  The secondary was supposed to be fixed with the addition of House and Brown.  

We're just lucky we have a defensive-minded coach who is getting maximum productivity out of every player.  

I agree.  Actually, with how bad the pass rush has been, they have probably over achieved up to the bucs game.   We do not create havoc, cause turnovers or strike any fear in our opponents.  That's a big problem.  I do not think the CB's have had one pick this year.  

So the big chunks of yardage in the preseason weren't a tip off for this year? My assessment was way off. I figured we would only be weak against the run because of our poor linebacker group. Total missed on the dreadful secondary. It is a good point that the team can't line up the three phases.

House, Colvin, Cyprien, Brown...all terrible.  

Quote:House, Colvin, Cyprien, Brown...all terrible.  

House played well.  Had some big stops.  Are you just naming players or did you watch the game?
Quote:House played well.  Had some big stops.  Are you just naming players or did you watch the game?

Sure, every play.  The secondary is awful
Like I said in a previous thread, Cyp is a bum. Complete bust. Has a knack for bad angles and overrunning plays.
Quote:House, Colvin, Cyprien, Brown...all terrible.  

lol

House played fine today. Colvin has played well most of the season and he's been playing on a bum shoulder. Cyprien has been inconsistent this year. Brown had his first bad game as a Jag.
Quote:Sure, every play. The secondary is awful

Hard to be good when you're instructed to stand 10 yards away from the WR
Quote:Sure, every play.  The secondary is awful

What does that have to do with House?  He had a good game.  He got hurt and didn't finish.  Again, criticism is fine, but whining for the sake of whining regardless of what actually happened is annoying. 
Quote:Like I said in a previous thread, Cyp is a bum. Complete bust. Has a knack for bad angles and overrunning plays.

I'm not seeing it either. This is year 3 and forget making splash plays; he fails to make gimme plays on a regular basis. Not a horrible player but he has to face some real competition from a late round pick or cheap FA signing.
Quote:I'm not seeing it either. This is year 3 and forget making splash plays; he fails to make gimme plays on a regular basis. Not a horrible player but he has to face some real competition from a late round pick or cheap FA signing.

Did you see that play when he blitzed today? Untouched and still overran the rb and missed the tackle because he was too far behind. This has been typical of him.
Quote:Did you see that play when he blitzed today? Untouched and still overran the rb and missed the tackle because he was too far behind. This has been typical of him.

Yeah, I saw it. Some players just seem to be in the right position to make plays. Not him. He just seems to be a half second off, or a couple feet out of position. His football sense, or whatever you want to call it, is off.
Skuta and Brown I still believe have been pretty solid FAs for us. But yes our D is pretty lackluster without Marks and I really wish we could have seen DFj play this season.

I know everyone loves to fire Gus, and yes barring some unforeseen turnaround I think he'll get the ax. But I've always felt like Dave gave him a rough deal. The positives thread (and overall watching this offense) made me realize something...Dave has ignored the defense largely with his draft

1st year:

Luke

Cyp

2nd year:

Blake

Lee/Robinson

3rd year:

Fowler (hurt)

Yeldon

In three years and with 7 picks in the 1st two rounds, Caldwell has spent two of those on defense (one of them being hurt in Fowler). This is supposed to be our core. Even if we extend to 3rd round, you'll add

Gratz

Linder

Cann

That's 3 out of our first 10 picks.

You wonder why there are no playmakers on defense?

That's probably why.

Pages: 1 2 3 4