Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles' Rating in Different Sets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was looking through some stats and I found some that I think are pretty interesting. These all have to do with Bortles in different formations and situations.

In two WR sets, Bortles has a QB rating of 111.2 which ranks 11th of the 30 qualifying QBs. He rates higher than Tom Brady, Cam Newton, and Russell Wilson among others in this category.

In three WR sets, Bortles has a QB rating of 85.8 which ranks 16th of the 31 qualifying QBs. He rates higher than both the Manning brothers and Matt Ryan.

In four WR sets, Bortles has a QB rating of 49.3 which ranks 34th of the 35 qualifying QBs. He rates higher than only Kaepernick in these sets while players like Rodgers, Brady, and Roethlisberger have more than doubled his rating.

Looking at these numbers it seems pretty easy to see where Bortles and this offense are currently failing. It is in obvious passing situations and I think there are a couple reasons for this.

1. Bortles isn't a fully developed passer yet. In four WR sets, we are likely in 3rd and long type situations where first downs need to be converted or else the ball is going to the opponent. These plays require more time to fully develop as WRs need to run near or past the first down markers. Oftentimes LBs and safeties are going to be playing further away from the line of scrimmage since there is really no threat of a run. These formations are also likely to remove play action which Blake has thrived on. Blake is going to have to go through more reads whilst looking off LBs and DBs who are cluttering the passing lanes. He isn't at a point to do that consistently and it shows up in the QB rating.

2. Our WR depth isn't good right now. It would be safe to say that the majority of the two WR sets are Robinson and Hurns. They are good players and the can get open fairly regularly and defenses have to account for them on the field. As we have to play players like Harbor, Lewis, Washington, and Walters at the additional WR spots, the caliber of pass catchers on the field goes down. Right now, I'd say Walters is the third best available pass catcher on the teams and that isn't a good thing. We're missing four of our top six pass catchers (Thomas, Lee, Greene, and Benn) and it is showing up when we have to play their replacements.

I'm sure it's a combination of both of these among other things, but I thought it was a pretty interesting look at how our offense has functioned in different situations early this season.

Pretty interesting analysis. It makes sense to me, and would explain some of our troubles. As long as we don't hit 3rd and long (especially in the second half) we tend to move the ball more consistently
i think you mean passer rating?

One thing that I think is missing in this analysis is the Down and Distance situation. Specifically, how far does the Offense need to go to continue the possession?

Quote:One thing that I think is missing in this analysis is the Down and Distance situation. Specifically, how far does the Offense need to go to continue the possession?

I agree, but I couldn't find anything relating passer rating to either of those. I'm making the assumption we aren't using too many four WR sets on early downs or short yardage situations.