Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Olson is a fine OC. We need to execute.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It's been beaten to death, but here's a stat I found. Red Zone efficiency from 2014

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/re...2015-02-02

Oakland is number one.

This offense is moving the ball, we're getting to the red zone. There was a thought going around that poor plays were being called in the red zone resulting in us not scoring. I don't think that's it. You don't forget how to call efficient RZ plays in one year.

This lies on Bortles and the offense just not executing. Which happens, especially for a young team. Olson had Carr, but he also had veteran recievers. Bortles even said the focus in practice this week is red zone and eliminating mental errors. I really think this offense can be pretty darn good with just some more growth.
You could give this team an Abrams tank and two Howitzers and they'd have a tough time getting any execution right.

O'Hallorans take:

@ryanohalloran: On red zone issues, #Jaguars OC Greg Olson was blunt (and correct): "“Really, it’s been execution more than anything."

@ryanohalloran: Olson (con't): "I think we’re targeting the right people when we look at the scheme but the execution part has to clean up.”

@ryanohalloran: What I saw on #Jaguars first RZ trip Sunday -- Jacobs (first down) was beat in pass pro, Yeldon blocked the wrong guy (third down).

@ryanohalloran: On third #Jaguars RZ trip (FG), Cann pushed back on first down, Parnell beat on second down, setting up third-and-7 throwaway.
Not trying to be funny, but didnt they score the least amount of points in the NFL last year?  Seems like the numbers would be skewed if they aren't scoring much anyways.  

Quote:Not trying to be funny, but didnt they score the least amount of points in the NFL last year? Seems like the numbers would be skewed if they aren't scoring much anyways.
Yes. But there's something to be said for making the most of those opportunities. I believe the stat said they converted 70%. If we got a td on 70% of our 11 redzone trips, we'd have scored 54 points. That's not including long fgs, deep passes etc. That's 13.5 per game, plus all those other points, we'd be closer to 20 a game

Edit:

Quick math, a td on 70% of RZ drives plus all points scored this season from outside the redzone is 83 points, or just shy of 21 per game. That's a 3-1 record right now. And that's not including if we scored a fg on the other 30%
Bortles throwing balls 30 feet in the air isn't helping. The guy has got to throw it low enough for ARob to try and make a play.

Quote:Bortles throwing balls 30 feet in the air isn't helping. The guy has got to throw it low enough for ARob to try and make a play.

Agreed. That comes back to execution.
Hopefully things change with Julius comes back. He is supposed to be our redzone threat.
Agreed. Outside of a play here or there, I don't really have any complaints about the Olson as OC. Too many drops passes and penalties are stalling our drives, not bad play calls.

Missed blocking assignments and dropped passes are retarding the offenses growth.
Ive been hearing that for the past 7 years about executing. It gets tiring
Can we line up the players who drop passes or miss blocking assignments.. then execute them for failing to execute?
IDK some of his playcalls in the redzone are horrendous

Quote:IDK some of his playcalls in the redzone are horrendous

Examples?
Heading towards week 5 the Jaguars Offense is currently ranked 18th (which I think is the highest in the last few years but not positive)

When Olson was the OC of the Raiders 2013 - finished 23rd overall offense, 2014 - Raiders had the 32nd ranked Offense. (jags finished 31st last year)

So I wouldnt say that he has great stats, but he isnt truly to blame (not solely).

By which method?

Firing squad?

Lethal injection?

Electric chair?
Quote:Examples?
All the ones the players don't execute.
Quote:By which method?

Firing squad?

Lethal injection?

Electric chair?

Maybe no extra popcorn when watching game film.

Still rings in my head when asked if there were any concerns after the Colts giveaway..Gus replies..none.
I agree with the OP. Olson is far from the problem.

I really like the way his Offense moves, at least from what I've seen so far. There's a lot of "across the formation" motion and eye candy for the Defense to watch. That and the two Tight End sets that he keeps throwing out there appeal to the Old School football fan in me.

Pages: 1 2 3