Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hoping for Better
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
From jaguars.com...

----------------------------

Not Quite Enough

They fought, scraped and made it close for a long time.

For the Jaguars, it wasn’t enough, and when an impressive defensive performance couldn’t overcome a struggling second-half offense, the Jaguars missed an opportunity, losing to the Indianapolis Colts, 16-13, Sunday afternoon.

Afterward, Head Coach Gus Bradley talked of a continuing trend of the Jaguars not quite being able to make a key play at a key time.

But he also talked about a step in a positive direction.

“I hate to be standing up here with another loss, but there are some things that showed up today that I’m pleased with,” Bradley said after the Jaguars outgained the Colts, 431-326.

“There are some positives that can be taken away from this game.”

The Jaguars (1-3) outscored the Colts 13-10 in the first half, but squandered several opportunities in the second half to take the lead.

Quarterback Blake Bortles

had one of the best statistical games of his career, completing 28 of 50 passes for 289 yards and a touchdown. His eight-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter to wide receiver Allen Hurns made it 10-3, Jaguars.

Jaguars second-year wide receiver Allen Hurns caught eleven passes for 116 yards.

Bortles’ 289 yards were a career-high for the second year quarterback.

At the time, the Jaguars had dominated statistically, but after Jacksonville struggled in the second half, the Colts (2-2) tied the game in the fourth quarter at 13-13 with a 32 yard field goal.

“I think it was a positive step forward for us in a lot of areas,” Jaguars guard Zane Beadles said. “We’re not happy with the result. There’s no sugarcoating that. I honestly believe everybody who came in today truly in their heart believed they were going to beat this team. We believed that all the way to the end.”

The Jaguars’ defense, which sacked Hasslebeck three times, held the Colts to only 60 rushing yards and gave the Jaguars a chance to win in overtime.

The Colts drove 53 yards for a 27-yard field goal by Adam Vinatieri that clinched the victory, and instead of taking the lead in the AFC South, the Jaguars had their third loss in four games.

Afterward, Bradley talked somewhat reluctantly about progress, and said while the Jaguars again found a way to lose when they could have won, in a sense Sunday was a step in a positive direction.

“There was progress,” Bradley said. “That’s hard to say on a loss, but you have to say what it is.”

---------------

Now that wasn't really the article from jaguars.com.  It was from October 29, 2012.  I simply changed Mularkey to Bradley, Gabbert to Bortles, Packers to Colts, etc. and made some very minor changes so it read ok.  Otherwise, I copied and pasted.  It puts things in perspective. :whistling:

I think this team has more talent but on a lot of fronts it's the same old song and dance.

my head hurts

Whats the point of this thread. Teams have up and down periods. This is not new information. How long have you been following the league if I may ask?

It puts things into what perspective exactly?

Quote:Whats the point of this thread. Teams have up and down periods. This is not new information. How long have you been following the league if I may ask?

The point is that many want to claim the Jags are better and the arrow is clearly pointing up.  While I don't disagree on every count, it shows that we aren't far from where we were 3 years ago.

I'm not sure why the # of years I've followed the league matters (~28 years).  Are we comparing football resumes now?  This is a fan forum/discussion thread.  Not an application to be an NFL GM.
Quote:It puts things into what perspective exactly?

It's not disturbing that Mularkey and Bradley were getting about the same results?
You actually went through the article and changed the names of the players and coaches?

We're 1-4?

Quote:We're 1-4?
Fixed! :thumbsup:
Quote:The point is that many want to claim the Jags are better and the arrow is clearly pointing up.  While I don't disagree on every count, it shows that we aren't far from where we were 3 years ago.

I'm not sure why the # of years I've followed the league matters (~28 years).  Are we comparing football resumes now?  This is a fan forum/discussion thread.  Not an application to be an NFL GM.
I know what this board is thanks. I wondered because you do not seem to understand how the team is improved. If you truly believe what you are typing I sure couldn't and won't try to convince you otherwise because you wouldn't listen.
Quote:You actually went through the article and changed the names of the players and coaches?
That's what's disturbing.
Quote:I know what this board is thanks. I wondered because you do not seem to understand how the team is improved. If you truly believe what you are typing I sure couldn't and won't try to convince you otherwise because you wouldn't listen.
Wow, I look forward to chatting on a forum all about how much better we are as we sit at the bottom of the division yet again.  Someday, maybe we can see that we've improved on the field and not just on a forum! 
So in 52 weeks, we've had two performances that were vaguely similar?

Breaking.
Quote:That's what's disturbing.

Some people have unique hobbies I guess.
Quote:Wow, I look forward to chatting on a forum all about how much better we are as we sit at the bottom of the division yet again.  Someday, maybe we can see that we've improved on the field and not just on a forum! 
As I said, if you don't see improvement of this team from 3 years ago you don't know a damn thing about football....period...end of story.
Quote:So in 52 weeks, we've had two performances that were vaguely similar?

Breaking.

This thread put it into so much perspective, I had to go change my shorts
Quote:As I said, if you don't see improvement of this team from 3 years ago you don't know a damn thing about football....period...end of story.

Well, since you put it so boldly, and are obviously a football guru, then you must be right.

Carry on...
The team is ranked 18th overall in Offense & Defense (not below 28th like the last few years) so obviously their is improvement & you can't blame an easy schedule because they lost to the Panthers (undefeated), Patriots (undefeated), and lost to the Colts in overtime (which shouldve been a win like the Panthers game they lost it more than the other team really won it, but had you asked if they wouldve went into OT & lost it against the colts prior to the season starting you probably wouldve said no a loss to Colts... of course you wouldve expected Luck to start in the game & not an over the hill has been QB.

That being said being 1-3 isnt the end of the world, but they have to defeat the Bucs its an obivious win that they need to get with confidence.

Quote:Whats the point of this thread. Teams have up and down periods. This is not new information. How long have you been following the league if I may ask?

Well the Jags down period has gone on too long, it's past time for some of that up period.

It doesn't take that long to turn it around in the NFL anymore, there are plenty of examples of that, but you have to get the right HC and GM for that to happen.

Quote:As I said, if you don't see improvement of this team from 3 years ago you don't know a damn thing about football....period...end of story.

Yeah...we've changed from historically bad to just regular, normal bad.  At the rate we're going, in another 3 years we may even be mediocre!
Pages: 1 2