Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This Week in the AFC South-Week 5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A quarter of the way through the season, the AFC south is a picture in mediocrity.  The defending division champs, Indy, got thumped by Buffalo and the Jets to start the season, and eked out two wins against division opponents Tennessee and Jacksonville, who outplayed them throughout the game only to give it away with penalties and missed FGs.  Tennessee started out great, blowing out Tampa in the debut of the top two picks in the draft, then came back down to earth.  Jacksonville lost at least one game they should have won, and got crushed by New England, while Houston and their much ballyhooed defense has looked like anything but a playoff team holds down the AFCS cellar with my Jaguars.

On to this week's games.

Indy
(2-2) at Houston
(1-3)-The Colts, fresh off a win against the Jaguars in a game they probably should not have won without Luck, go down to Houston with their QB against the Texans, who gave up 42 to a red hot Atlanta team.   Houston has managed to rank 7th in total offense and 22nd in total defense.  Oddly enough, turnovers in this instance are a most misleading stat.  The Texans are -6 in after 4 weeks and are 1-3.  Indy is -9 in the same stat yet are 2-2.  With Luck back, I have Indy beating Houston 27-17.

Jacksonville
(1-3 at Tampa
(1-3)-My Jaguars have the chance to win the mythical Florida State Championship by winning against Tampa having already beaten Miami earlier in the year.  In a battle of two more flawed teams, I have to go with the better QB-Bortles, who may be getting Thomas back this week.  Jacksonville wins 23-17 over Tampa.

Buffalo
(2-2) at Tennessee
(1-2)  Tennessee has had extra time to prepare for Rex Ryan's Bills.  Not sure if they can handle that defense with a rookie QB, even with that extra time.  What may help Tennessee is that Watkins and mcCoy are banged up for Buffalo, but ultimately I think Buffalo wins 26-14.

Last week:  2-0

Overall:  6-7 

Indianapolis at Houston - Houston seems like they are off the rails. I'm not certain just what it was that caused that game in Atlanta, but a part of me thinks that there are just a bunch of different parts doing their own thing instead of a team playing together. So, was Mallett's day (12 of 27, 150 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT) a symptom of this or was it what caused it to happen? I have no idea but I don't think that a team in that kind of condition is going to fare very well. Luck "should" be back but I'm getting close to the same vibe out of them that I am from Houston. Maybe Luck stabilizes things a bit and walks away from there with a 'W'.

Indianapolis takes another AFC South Division win.

Jacksonville at Tampa Bay - Winston isn't looking so good, is he? Granted, Carolina has a pretty good Defense but he sure didn't help things out a whole lot. With the way that Yeldon is coming along and the emergence of the Tight Ends, I think Jacksonville finally gets a road win. Man, it sure would be nice if they did.

Jacksonville wins the In-State title game.

Tennessee at Buffalo - I don't think Mariota is going to be ready for Sexy Rex. Granted, Buffalo has some pieces missing, but I can just see that Defense taking Tennessee apart bit by bit.

Buffalo wins this one.

Last week: 1 - 1

Overall: 5 - 6

Hey Bullseye, you need to have them edit the week on the thread title. Simple mistake, no worries man.

Last week: 2-0

Overall: 7-6

This week is pretty tough to pick IMO. All three of these games could literally go either way. But, I'm gonna stick with the AFCS "status quo" and expect the same 'ol, same 'ol until they prove me wrong.

INDY over Houston

BILLS over Tenn

BUCS over Jags

The Jags have lost 11 straight road games. They'll have to finally buck that trend before I pick them to win on the road (even if it is against Tampa).
Quote:Hey Bullseye, you need to have them edit the week on the thread title. Simple mistake, no worries man.

Thanks dude.

Thanks TravC59!

I think this week bodes well for Jacksonville's offense.

If the theme of Bortles working best off play action is true, he should have success against Tampa.  They are only 30th against the run this year.  Maybe Yeldon can have another 100 yard game and open things up.

If Thomas returns and can contribute, that effect should be even greater.

Last week 1-1

Overall 5-8

Colts over Texans

Jaguars over Bucs

Bills over Titans

Overall: 6-3

Jacksonville

Houston

Buffalo
Last week 2-0

Overall 6-3

Tampa - this one is a toss up, but will give the edge to Tampa being at home. 

Houston - Tennessee and Jax couldn't figure out how to hammer that final nail, but I think Houston does us all a favor and finds a way to win.

Tennessee - No McCoy, no Watkins, and JMac returns this week.  I think Mariota ends up running for his life all day, but the Titans D holds its ground and the O scores enough points to win...barely.

Colts over Texans

Bucs over Jags

Titans over Bills

Another tough week IMO. I can see all 3 of these going either way.

Quote:Last week: 2-0

Colts over Texans

Bucs over Jags

Titans over Bills

Another tough week IMO. I can see all 3 of these going either way.

We gift wrapped you that game against your garbage dolts and you're picking the Bucs over us? Jameis has been a pick 6 machine. Convinced you aren't being objective. Keep trollin and go worship Luck's shoulder. Watt's probably going to dislocate it completely.

Colts over Texans - I honestly think that this is a difficult game to pick.  If Luck is back the Colts win.  If not, the game is almost a replay of Sunday.

Jaguars over Buccaneers

Bills over Titans - This would normally be a "no brainer" for me, but the Bills have a few injury issues at RB.

1-1 last week

6-7 overall

2-0 last week. 6-7  overall. With that being said i will take for this weeks picks.

Texans -they will do what jags couldn't. beat a back up qb.

Jags- have to beat bucs.

bills

Quote:We gift wrapped you that game against your garbage dolts and you're picking the Bucs over us? Jameis has been a pick 6 machine. Convinced you aren't being objective. Keep trollin and go worship Luck's shoulder. Watt's probably going to dislocate it completely.

Not everyone has to agree with you, sweet cheeks.

Like I posted in the other thread, we tried to gift wrap it for you, but you returned it. Colts fumbled on the 2 yard line (about to score) and the 50 yard line. Not to mention we had our backup QB playing.

Fortunately for you, Bucs are just as bad as the Jags. It'll be a close game.
Quote:Not everyone has to agree with you, sweet cheeks.

Like I posted in the other thread, we tried to gift wrap it for you, but you returned it. Colts fumbled on the 2 yard line (about to score) and the 50 yard line. Not to mention we had our backup QB playing.

Fortunately for you, Bucs are just as bad as the Jags. It'll be a close game.

Ha. Your running back did it against the Jets too. Not our fault your dinosaur back can't hold onto the ball. We had nobody out either, right? Nah, we weren't missing Julius Thomas, our starting free safety, Marqise Lee, Denard Robinson, our best lineman, Paul Posluzny for the 4th quarter, etc etc. I would have rather gone against Luck since he's been playing like trash.

You didn't gift wrap anything. Your team is just old and overrated.
Quote:Ha. Your running back did it against the Jets too. Not our fault your dinosaur back can't hold onto the ball. We had nobody out either, right? Nah, we weren't missing Julius Thomas, our starting free safety, Marqise Lee, Denard Robinson, our best lineman, Paul Posluzny for the 4th quarter, etc etc. I would have rather gone against Luck since he's been playing like trash.

You didn't gift wrap anything. Your team is just old and overrated.

What does fumbling in the past have to do with this game? You're reaching.

QB is by far the most influential position in football and when you have one as good as Luck NOT playing, it plays a HUGE part. And shockingly, the Jags couldn't capitalize. We were also out with some key players as well.

We tried to hand you a gift and the Jags denied it.
Quote:What does fumbling in the past have to do with this game? You're reaching.

QB is by far the most influential position in football and when you have one as good as Luck NOT playing, it plays a HUGE part. And shockingly, the Jags couldn't capitalize. We were also out with some key players as well.

We tried to hand you a gift and the Jags denied it.

How is that reaching? You're saying you were going to score no matter what? How about Josh Evans who knocked it out? Our defense is just more talented even without Marks and Fowler. We literally kept your drive alive on 3rd downs all the way to the endzone.

Are we talking about the same Luck who has been terrible this year?

Hah, awe man is that what Colts fans gotta tell themselves? Man, the fall from grace for you guys is slowly becoming reality and hard to handle.

Last Week 2-0

Overall 8-5

This week's selections:

Houston over Indianapolis

Jacksonville over Tampa Bay 

Last week 1-1

Overall 8-5

Colts Def Texans (idk)
Bills Def Titans [looking forward to watching the titans hopefully get destroyed. Titans destroyed my 99 playoffs, music city bs over my bills and afc champ game over my jags)
Jaguars Def Buccaneers (i said i wouldn't pick them anymore but this be thee jag life do or die)
Quote:Last Week 2-0

Overall 8-5

This week's selections:

Houston over Indianapolis

Jacksonville over Tampa Bay

D6 looks like we are tied for 1st. Plus you didn't pick the bills vs titans game.
Quote:D6 looks like we are tied for 1st. Plus you didn't pick the bills vs titans game.

Thanks, astrorenegade.   I totally forgot that game. 

In addition to Houston and Jacksonville,  I'm picking Buffalo to win in Week # 5.    A rookie QB against Rex Ryan's Defense is a dangerous combination for the QB.
Pages: 1 2 3