Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 1 quarter into the season what are the Jags top 5 position team needs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
These could change as the season goes on but I will do one every quarter to see how much they change.

I feel QB will wait at least another year with Bortles slowly improving. Pass rush I think will be good when Marks and Fowler come back.

1. Number 1 WR (Dont see one in the draft, hopefully Lee can get healthy and A Rob and Hurns continue to improve as they both have)

2. MLB (We need a MLB that can cover and play the run and Poz will be 31 next week)

3. Safety (I like the way Brown played when healthy but would be nice to have star at either safety position.)

4. CB (Need a shutdown corner and I think VH3 can be that guy)

5. TE (we need another reliable TE to take Lewis place or to backup JT)

Wildcard: kicker

What are yours?
1. Safety

2. Cornerback

3. MLB

4. DT/DE

5. WR

I am doing needs based on this year to fix things for HC Gus Bradley;

#1.) Elite or at least Great heck I'll settle for healthy good CB!

#2.) Fast FS doesnt even have to have good hands just be fast enough to scare the QB as he has to cover a lot of ground.

#3.) If Marks comes back like before no need for DT, and if Thomas comes back healthy no need for TE (but both need to return sooner than later), really good LT

#4.) I hate to say it as he has tons of potential and maybe its the young WRs, lack or run game, the oc, etc, but for now I'll just say QB, because who knows if the team had a Tom Brady maybe these young WRs would look better?

OL,DL. If there was any flaw (that I can see) in the way Caldwell has attempted this rebuild, is that he hasn't done it from the inside out. Finding elite talent in the trenches is something he's struggled with since this rebuild has begun. He put a rookie QB behind an inexperienced OL and the result was 50+ sacks. If your line has above average talent across the board you can let your young QB lean on the running game. We're not able to do that with present personnel.

Same can be said on the other side of the ball except he's relied on older vets to generate a pass rush and this season is showing the results of that philosophy as evidenced by yesterday's game. Zero pressure generated by the front 4. Yes he spent our first round pick on Fowler, but he waited until the 6th round before picking another DL player when there was talent available in earlier rounds. And seriously, was 1 guy really expected to make that much of a difference in the sack total with our best DL still hurt from last year and the rest of them another year older?
1. #1 WR

2. MLB

3. Elite pass rusher

4. CB

5. Safety
No specific position just pass rushers.

Be it DE, DT, OLB,or MLB, if t hey can get to the Qb, I'll take it!

Head Coach
1. LEO

2. LEO

3. LEO

4. LEO

5. (surprise) MLB

6. OLB

You have to put receiver somewhere in there obviously. Realistically Bottles probably won't be in danger of losing his job, but if he doesn't improve I would probably put QB as a top need. Unfortunately the QB class doesn't look great this year

1- A true #1 WR (don't see it happening next year)

2- MLB/OTTO (Poz still has gas in the tank but time to look for his replacement. Could play OTTO until then. Basically need a "do it all" LB)

3- LT (free agency, move Joeckel to LG)

4- LDE (pass rusher, move Odrick inside)

5- FS (Brown playing well but let's get a ballhawk)

Other- TE (let Lewis walk via free agency and add a guy like Fleener)
1. Leo ...Clemons/Branch not the answer

2. LT ...Joeckel is not good

3. WR ...a true #1 to complement Hurns and ARob

4. K ...inconsistent and low % at Marist and now NFL

5. FS ...need a ballhawk

Wait...did we magically fix our pass rush?!?!?!

DL - we need way more young talent across the defensive line. Mainly, a guy who can rush the passer.

#1 WR - love Robinson, but until he starts beating double teams, we need a #1 WR.

LT - Joeckel sucks. I think he's reached his ceiling. It's a shame. The rest of the offensive line isn't too bad. Actually, much improved.

Young MLB - Poz is all over the place, but we could definitely use a young MLB to eventually take his place.

CB or S - if our CBS could stay healthy, we would be ok there. Out of the group, I don't see a #1 CB though. Maybe Colvin can become that guy. Cyp played pretty well against Indy... but we could use a true playmaker at FS.
Definitely Pass Rush is the Jags No. 1 need.

Oh, and a new head coach/coaching staff can also be a top 5 need
Quote:Head Coach

This...  
1. Pass Rusher

2. Pass Rusher

3. Speed at receiver

4. Speed at linebacker

5. Pass Rusher

Quote:3. WR ...a true #1 to complement Hurns and ARob

A "true #1 receiver" isn't a complement. What the team really needs is someone like John Brown in Arizona. Someone that can stretch the field. Robinson is on pace for 1300 yards. He is developing into a potentially great receiver. They basically need what Lee is unable to provide.
I think they’re hoping that Dante Fowler can still be an effective pass rusher from the edge next season, but more pressure through the middle would certainly help.

So I'll go...

DL 
CB - we've been shown up on CB depth a number of times now
MLB - Poz is still good against the run, but getting older and not the best on pass coverage
WR - No an elite prospect on the horizon, but as SDR says, we need someone to do what Lee is failing to do)
FS - although maybe Sample or Brown can claim the role first ?

Having said all that, most of us have gone for defensive players.  And yet our teams biggest weakness is its inability to make big scores (and to score TDs).  So you'd think it was the offense that needs the most help.
I'm amazed that with the lack of push in the running game, lack of protection, people still dont realize our offensive line is full of holes.

The center and left side could use some upgrades.

1. Safety

2. CB

3. DT

4. Kicker

5. O-line
Pages: 1 2