Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: PFF Game Analysis Jags Colts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

raweyejag

Jacksonville Jaguars

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— Despite coming out on the losing end, this may have been the best performance of QB Blake Bortles’ (+4.0) career. He came out on fire with accurate downfield throws on a deep crossing route and a “go” route before moving out of the pocket to deliver a strike for the first touchdown of the game. Bortles has always flashed this ability, but it’s his consistency that has been an issue, and this was one of the few games that his accuracy and decision making was solid from start to finish. It’s an encouraging sign for Jaguars fans if Bortles can continue to spread the field and throw the ball as accurately as he did in this one.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— Another positive for the Jaguars was the play of strong safety John Cyprien (+2.7) who put together one of the better all-around games of his career. Drafted to play the “Kam Chancellor” role in the Jacksonville defense, Cyprien showed flashes of that, closing quickly in the both the run game and against the pass. He gave up five receptions, but for only 18 yards, as he often made the quick tackle in the flat and overall he finished with team-highs in both tackles (12) and stops (6).

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— The starting defensive line graded negatively across the board, as they weren’t great against the run and only created three pressures on a collective 144 pass rushes. The backups picked up the slack and the Jaguars defense was able to scheme up enough pressures to keep the Colts’ offense honest, but the starting bunch of Chris Clemons (-2.1), Roy Miller (-1.7), Tyson Alualu (-3.8) and Jared Odrick (-4.4) failed to make a big impact.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Top Performers:

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Dan Skuta +4.3

Blake Bortles +4.0

Ryan Davis +2.9

John Cyprien +2.7

Allen Hurns +2.1

Indianapolis Colts

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— Did the offensive line really improve overnight or was it scheme and style that helped them look better? Probably the latter, as it starts with QB Matt Hasselbeck and his playing style compared to that of starter Andrew Luck. Hasselbeck is a quicker decision-maker and he gets rid of the ball much quicker than Luck (2.37 seconds in pocket was 9th-fastest in the NFL this week) as 72 percent of his passes came out in 2.5 seconds or less. Compare that to 2.6 seconds in the pocket for Luck and only 55 percent of his passes coming out in 2.5 seconds or less, and there’s a good indicator as to why Hasselbeck was pressured on only 10 of his 50 dropbacks.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— Starting defensive ends Kendall Langford and Henry Anderson had strong outings, finishing at +3.0 and +3.3 respectively. Langford picked up a sack, hit and a batted pass on his 33 rushes while grading at +1.0 against the run, while Anderson continued his strong play against the run with a +2.3 grade and three stops. He also tacked on five hurries and a batted pass on his 43 rushes.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— Cornerback Darius Butler was a frequent target of the Jaguars’ passing game, surrendering 10 catches on 12 targets for 134 yards and a touchdown. He was burned deep by WR Allen Robinson for a 48-yard gain early in the game and he lost track of WR Allen Hurns in the scramble drill for a touchdown. Butler finished at -2.7 in coverage and -2.5 overall.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Top Performers:

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Jack Mewhort +3.2

Hugh Thornton +3.2

Kendall Langford +3.0

Anthony Castonzo +2.9

Henry Anderson +2.3

Well, this week I agree with the grades given out but that doesn't mean I trust PFF any more than as a generator of random numbers. Bortles DID have one of his best games, in my opinion.
Tell you what, though. Skuta looks like a steal.  The guy is great.

Skuta was all over the place. wish Odrick would step up his game

PFF lost all my interest when they gave Rodgers a negative grade
Quote:PFF lost all my interest when they gave Rodgers a negative grade

Dude he only threw five touchdowns. If I was the HC I'd have second thoughts if that is really the kind of QB I want on my team. /s
I was checking out the Bears V Raiders grades earlier. The Bears allowed 70 yards rushing on 22 carries for a 15.9 team rushing grade for the defense.

Jaguars defense?

Allowed 60 yards on 24 carries for a 4.6 PFF grade.
Didn't they get rid of their premium stats (and are now transitioning to a 1-100 player ranking system)?

Quote:I was checking out the Bears V Raiders grades earlier. The Bears allowed 70 yards rushing on 22 carries for a 15.9 team rushing grade for the defense.

Jaguars defense?

Allowed 60 yards on 24 carries for a 4.6 PFF grade.

#becausejaguars
Quote:#becausejaguars
#becausepff
Basically the whole defensive line seems to be negative numbers. They can't get any pressure on the QB like we did last year. Really missing Marks and Fowler, the DL is far from its potential. 

Quote:Jacksonville Jaguars

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— Despite coming out on the losing end, this may have been the best performance of QB Blake Bortles’ (+4.0) career. He came out on fire with accurate downfield throws on a deep crossing route and a “go” route before moving out of the pocket to deliver a strike for the first touchdown of the game. Bortles has always flashed this ability, but it’s his consistency that has been an issue, and this was one of the few games that his accuracy and decision making was solid from start to finish. It’s an encouraging sign for Jaguars fans if Bortles can continue to spread the field and throw the ball as accurately as he did in this one.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— Another positive for the Jaguars was the play of strong safety John Cyprien (+2.7) who put together one of the better all-around games of his career. Drafted to play the “Kam Chancellor” role in the Jacksonville defense, Cyprien showed flashes of that, closing quickly in the both the run game and against the pass. He gave up five receptions, but for only 18 yards, as he often made the quick tackle in the flat and overall he finished with team-highs in both tackles (12) and stops (6).

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— The starting defensive line graded negatively across the board, as they weren’t great against the run and only created three pressures on a collective 144 pass rushes. The backups picked up the slack and the Jaguars defense was able to scheme up enough pressures to keep the Colts’ offense honest, but the starting bunch of Chris Clemons (-2.1), Roy Miller (-1.7), Tyson Alualu (-3.8) and Jared Odrick (-4.4) failed to make a big impact.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Dan Skuta +4.3

Blake Bortles +4.0

Ryan Davis +2.9

John Cyprien +2.7

Allen Hurns +2.1

Indianapolis Colts

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— Did the offensive line really improve overnight or was it scheme and style that helped them look better? Probably the latter, as it starts with QB Matt Hasselbeck and his playing style compared to that of starter Andrew Luck. Hasselbeck is a quicker decision-maker and he gets rid of the ball much quicker than Luck (2.37 seconds in pocket was 9th-fastest in the NFL this week) as 72 percent of his passes came out in 2.5 seconds or less. Compare that to 2.6 seconds in the pocket for Luck and only 55 percent of his passes coming out in 2.5 seconds or less, and there’s a good indicator as to why Hasselbeck was pressured on only 10 of his 50 dropbacks.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— Starting defensive ends Kendall Langford and Henry Anderson had strong outings, finishing at +3.0 and +3.3 respectively. Langford picked up a sack, hit and a batted pass on his 33 rushes while grading at +1.0 against the run, while Anderson continued his strong play against the run with a +2.3 grade and three stops. He also tacked on five hurries and a batted pass on his 43 rushes.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">— Cornerback Darius Butler was a frequent target of the Jaguars’ passing game, surrendering 10 catches on 12 targets for 134 yards and a touchdown. He was burned deep by WR Allen Robinson for a 48-yard gain early in the game and he lost track of WR Allen Hurns in the scramble drill for a touchdown. Butler finished at -2.7 in coverage and -2.5 overall.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B', Gotham, sans-serif;">Jack Mewhort +3.2

Hugh Thornton +3.2

Kendall Langford +3.0

Anthony Castonzo +2.9

Henry Anderson +2.3

yep seems about right after watching that game. I thought Chris Clemons got pressure a few times but the Refs messed him up.  He still got a FF I think?

raweyejag

Quote:Basically the whole defensive line seems to be negative numbers. They can't get any pressure on the QB like we did last year. Really missing Marks and Fowler, the DL is far from its potential. 

Yep HARDLY ANY SACKS LIKE LAST YEAR
Is it just me or does Ryan Davis always seem to put up good numbers whenever the PFF analysis comes out? I wouldn't mind seeing him as our starting LEO instead of Clemons or Branch. He had 6.5 sacks last year with less snaps than most of our other defensive ends and already has 2.5 sacks this year so far.

Quote:Is it just me or does Ryan Davis always seem to put up good numbers whenever the PFF analysis comes out? I wouldn't mind seeing him as our starting LEO instead of Clemons or Branch. He had 6.5 sacks last year with less snaps than most of our other defensive ends and already has 2.5 sacks this year so far.
He is better at interior rushing he is not a great bend the corner guy. Also I think they have concerns about his ability to play the run. Although I feel like at his size (6'2'' 270) he should be big enough to hold the edge but I guess not.

Quote:Is it just me or does Ryan Davis always seem to put up good numbers whenever the PFF analysis comes out? I wouldn't mind seeing him as our starting LEO instead of Clemons or Branch. He had 6.5 sacks last year with less snaps than most of our other defensive ends and already has 2.5 sacks this year so far.

He's getting most of his production rushing from the inside in our NASCAR package. He's not all that great when asked to line up at LEO.