Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Surprising stats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Awkward moment when you look at the NFL passing leaders and Blake bottles is 10th in yards, above both Peyton manning and Aaron Rodgers
Could it be because we're behind and we get garbage time yards?  

Quote:Could it be because we're behind and we get garbage time yards?  
No we're in every game except for one and maybe just maybe bortles is improving as a player. 
Bortles is actually having a good year, he's cut down on the interceptions and he's making good throws. People are mad about the results and rightly so but Bortles is not the problem and has looked good - if he could play in the second half of games like he does in the first half he'd probably be top 5 in yards this season.

More of his yards have been in the first half of games though.

[Image: Q6lh8vQ.png]
Quote:More of his yards have been in the first half of games though.

[Image: Q6lh8vQ.png]
Good point - there has to be a reason the team collapses in the 2nd half of every game.  

Obvious non football fan comment.

smh
This is why my biggest issue isn't with the OC and certainly isn't with Bortles. Bortles and the offense can move the ball up and down the field and even though they've had more trouble moving the ball in the second half, they still move it. It's been a few years since we've even had that much production from the offense. Yes, he most definitely has to improve his TDs and red zone efficiency. But the improvements he's made in the last 12 months have me believing Bortles will have no problem taking the next step with his game.

Maybe if we weren't so busy racking up over 90 yards/game in penalties and using those penalties to kill drives, some of the "fans" on this board would appreciate Bortles more. He may not be the next Rodgers, Manning, or Brady. But he's almost as good now at the beginning of his second year as 2007 Garrard with none of the RB talent that Garrard had taking the focus off of him. 

If Bortles can continue to improve despite being chained to the Gus bus, we'll be set at QB for a long time. Right now, Bortles has earned the benefit of the doubt. And if you want to ignore how raw he was coming out of college and how often Caldwell mentioned that being BB5's biggest issue, then your faulty perception is on you. 

raweyejag

I agree Bortles is going to improve but you can't just look at total yards he is last of all starters in % of completions in NFL and that can lead to a lot of 3 and outs. His rating is 27th which is also shows he isn't where he should be. I know there are dropped passes and stupid penalties which affect outcome of game but how can most of our problems which occur on the field be the coaches problems? I am not necessarily a Gus or Dave fan but my point is fans did the same thing with Coughlin and see where that got us. You can't keep starting over or you will always be churning the roster to infinity.

Blake has been doing pretty well overall. Just think what his stats would be like if he was able to keep the first half momentum going? If he had the weapons he is suppose to have? His Oline has kept him pretty clean over all which has helped. I also like that he so far has been able to keep the INT down.

Glad to see him improving even if some people are too blind to see.

He is not the problem anymore.
now dig up completion % and TDs passes and get back to me

Unfortunately because of the W/L record the obvious improvement of the team is not reason for discussion. They are better, they just aren't winning yet.

hmmmmm, I wonder whose shoulders that falls on ^^^

Red zone efficiency needs to improve and the Jags will be on track.

Quote:hmmmmm, I wonder whose shoulders that falls on ^^^
IMO? The players.
awesome, man.

you're right, it's the players. they're undisciplined as a team because of themselves. they call crazy plays, make bad situational decisions, and use untimely times-out.

it's the players

Bortles is a huge part of the problem. In the 3rd quarters of games this year, he has barely managed to complete 52% of his passes, 6.4 YPA, 68.8 QB rating. In the 4th quarters, he completes a pathetic 44% of his passes, 4.9 YPA 57.9 QB rating. In 4th quarter games where the team is within 7 points (as in, they aren't in garbage time), he only manages to complete 40% of his passes, 4.4 YPA 54.2 QB rating. So absolutely he is part of the problem. As I mentioned in another thread, when the pressure is on and the snaps become meaningful, Bortles wilts.

Hell even in the OT loss to the Colts he only completed 1/6 passes for 14 yards. 

Quote:awesome, man.

you're right, it's the players. they're undisciplined as a team because of themselves. they call crazy plays, make bad situational decisions, and use untimely times-out.

it's the players
They also miss tackles, miss kicks, snap low, drop passes, commit penalties, throw bad passes, drop coverage's, miss blocks, run bad routes or is that Gus as well?
nice deflection.

tell us, who is responsible for the players being undisciplined?

and by your logic, no coach should ever be fired because #players

lest you forget that Gus proclaimed that the roster was built

Pages: 1 2 3