Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A fun Oscar topic...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the Oscars coming on tonight I thought of an interesting topic of discussion that could be kind of fun. Or not, knowing this crowd.  Ninja  I'm also on muscle relaxers thanks to tweaking (NOT twerking!) my back yesterday so I'm a little.... whatever this morning. 

Anyway, I don't watch movies just because they're nominated or win any awards, I watch if they have had a good cast, I like the director's previous work, the story interests me, etc. That being said one of the strangest movies I've ever watched that won several awards was No Country For  Old Men. I mean, that movie..... I got to the end and was like- WTHeck did I just watch? And I watched it again. 

So the question would be, what award winning movies have you watched that were the weirdest, saddest, most annoying, best, funniest, whatever. What movie do you think should have won an award and didn't, or did and shouldn't have?

Mine so far are NCFOM for the weirdest and The Pianist for a different and heartbreaking view of WW2. I'm sure I'll think of more later. 

I view the Oscars quite a bit different than most... I see them as an ego stroke for lesser known movies that have seen little screen time because the masses were not enthralled by their "greatness".

This does not mean that the movies/actors are not worthy of recognition, just that the general audience does not care about, nor do they understand, the awards or the prestige that they represent.

I have seen plenty of Academy Award winning movies that were trash on many levels. I have also seen many movies that deserved recognition, but didn't even receive Academy recognition.

In short, it is a bunch of narcissists, striking each other's egos, secretly hoping that they get to work with someone who commands a higher pay day to potentially up their personal take.
Pretty much why I don't watch the awards shows. If your movie didn't do it for me I don't care what everyone else says, especially the people who choose which movies, actors and directors I am going to like just because they said so.
Well them announcing the wrong movie for best picture was certainly an interesting and unexpected moment.

OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was glad to see Casey Affleck won for Best Actor. I loved him in Gone, Baby Gone. I haven't seen Manchester By The Sea, but it's on my Netflix que. In fact, it's the only Oscar nominated film that I want to see besides Arrival and Hidden Figures.

I'll be honest.  I didn't watch.

Quote:I'll be honest.  I didn't watch.

I didn't either, but judging from the mornings headlines, we missed another wardrobe malfunction on the red carpet from an "up and coming" actress. Rolleyes
Luckily I have the internet...so I should be able to figure out what you are talking about.

Quote:Luckily I have the internet...so I should be able to figure out what you are talking about.

Apparently it was "take your kitty to the oscars" night.
Interesting.

1)  Steve Harvey's tweet this morning was great.  Something along the lines of I went to bed early last night, did I miss anything?

2)  I agree that the Oscars is a way to make the lesser known movies feel better about themselves and generate some sort of viewership for it.  If it was really that earth shattering, more people would watch it.

3)  The dress that the girl wore with the wardrobe malfunction was painfully obvious that something bad was going to happen.  I could imagine that being planned in some way.  I've never seen a "wardrobe malfunction" like that in real life, those things only seem to happen when there are lots of photogs around.

Quote:1)  Steve Harvey's tweet this morning was great.  Something along the lines of I went to bed early last night, did I miss anything?

2)  I agree that the Oscars is a way to make the lesser known movies feel better about themselves and generate some sort of viewership for it.  If it was really that earth shattering, more people would watch it.

3)  The dress that the girl wore with the wardrobe malfunction was painfully obvious that something bad was going to happen.  I could imagine that being planned in some way.  I've never seen a "wardrobe malfunction" like that in real life, those things only seem to happen when there are lots of photogs around.

How could that not have been planned? No woman in her right mind would put that dress on and think no one would notice her business end was showing.
Quote:How could that not have been planned? No woman in her right mind would put that dress on and think no one would notice her business end was showing.

Interesting you say "business".

It is straight up trashy, though.
I don't watch them so I guess I have to look up this train wreck.

Quote:How could that not have been planned? No woman in her right mind would put that dress on and think no one would notice her business end was showing.
I just looked it up and yeah..... that was totally on purpose. 
I couldn't find anything on the news websites...and I'm at work, so there will be no NSFW stuff going on here today.

Quote:I didn't either, but judging from the mornings headlines, we missed another wardrobe malfunction on the red carpet from an "up and coming" actress. Rolleyes

Darn. I've never heard of her and she isn't even pretty. Sad Why couldn't it have been Emma Watson?

Quote:I just looked it up and yeah..... that was totally on purpose.

Screams desperation, doesn't it?
So what did she do?  Bring her pet beaver to the Oscars?  Is that allowed?

Quote:So what did she do?  Bring her pet beaver to the Oscars?  Is that allowed?

You didn't miss much.  She is proud of her pet beaver and wanted to show it off.  Word has it that many guys in attendance were throwing $1 bills at her.
Pages: 1 2