Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: An interesting stat from last game I hadn't seen mentioned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Quote:This was Bortles' second career fourth quarter game winning drive, and he led an offense that gained over 375 yards with no turnovers, or sacks, (one was nullified by a Miami defensive penalty) for the first time since December 2000. Certainly, the Jacksonvile faithful will take any journies back in time to those halcyon days for the franchise. Sunday was one of them for Bortles and his team.
http://profootballspot.com/index.html/nf...-2-r12803/

Wow. That's significant in my opinion. Bortles had maybe the most competent game by a Jaguars QB in a very long time last week.

Quote:http://profootballspot.com/index.html/nf...-2-r12803/

Wow. That's significant in my opinion. Bortles had maybe the most competent game by a Jaguars QB in a very long time last week.

In all honesty all this stat really makes me wonder is how the game would have went if Bortles had some adversity to face. The only times he had any was dropped passes, and there weren't nearly as many as we're used to. 
Uh constant holding penalties and the running game getting shutdown didn't help him either. Not to mention he had to march the team downfield form his own 10 yard line to put them in position for the winning field goal.

Also a QB isn't supposed to be constantly under siege in the first place.

Actually, there was some pressure on BB5.  He just did a good job moving around in the pocket...  A few of his deep throws he was being hit as he released it.

Also, as I re-watched the 3rd Quarter...  The the offense came out aggressive in the second half...  Our first 3 drives were stalled because of penalties and un-timely drops...  The offensive play calling those first 3 drives in the 3rd Quarter were rather aggressive.  

I'm pointing this out in order to maybe help us re-think the meme that the offense get's conservative or that we don't adjust well in the 2nd half...  I thought the play calling was actually really good in the 2nd half.  It was the execution that was lacking (and that AR15 pass interference call that was just a bad call) that caused drives to stall out.

Just something to consider.

Quote:In all honesty all this stat really makes me wonder is how the game would have went if Bortles had some adversity to face. The only times he had any was dropped passes, and there weren't nearly as many as we're used to.

I'm not sure why you wonder about the Jags at all.

"Yeah, this is the same Jags every single year. I'm done with this team. Meanwhile, Mariota throws 4 TD's with a subpar receiving corp? Move to London, LA, or San Diego... I'll pay attention to the Sharks, who knows what it's like to win something."
Did he catch mariota 2nd game or the fact that winston kept giving them [BLEEP]. On the opp. Side of the field.

If blake started at the 45 or opp. 40 every drive im sure hed throw 4 tds too lol.
Quite a step up from the "historically bad rookie season."

Quote:Quite a step up from the "historically bad rookie season."

Lets see how he contiues against a weak d in a hostile road game. I def excited
I hope he keeps it up. I hope we keep our turnovers low as well as the sacks. I would love to see Blake stand tall all season long.

I'm wondering who to credit the most for the zero sacks...

-Young stepping in for Joke after a week of practice with the starters?

-Our OL coach who may be one of the best after being a head coach last year?

-Oley who last year as OC of the Raiders made Derek Carr one of the least sacked QBs in the league?

-The flat out talent with Parnell consistently taking names, Linder owning Sue and the Wiz, etc, etc?

-Bortles for his outstanding pocket presence and feel for the game?

According to every else, the Dolphins D just didn't come play and had a bad game, but I think there's a bit more to it than that.

That's one of Blake Bortles' best traits. The ability to step his game up in pressure situations. We saw it in college and now the NFL. He never seems to get rattled in late game situations.