Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags Sign Tyrus Thompson to Practice Squad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
According to Pro Football Rumors, the Jags signed former Oklahoma OLT Tyrus Thompson to their practice squad. Thompson was taken in the 2015 draft by the Vikings with the 9th pick in the 6th round.

More information on this player may be found here:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/t...id=2552367

As a draftnik, I can tell you that this is a good signing.

We'll see
Very high ceiling on this kid.  Early day two talent, but he's a bit of a head case and his technique is very undisciplined.  Good stash.

I believe this guy has a higher upside than Sam Young or Austin Pasztor. This signing is akin to gaining another draft pick in the 2015 draft class. Many draftniks rated Thompson every bit as good as his teammate Daryl Williams who was taken in the 4th round I belive by the Panthers.

Essentially the Jags just acquired their future swing OT, who can play either OLT or ORT.

Doug Marrone got himself a project.

Most draftniks had him higher than Williams.  I had him as a 3rd rounder on my big board if anyone cares.

According to The Daily Norseman (SBNATION), the Vikings waived Thompson three days ago. He was originally waived injured earlier this month and not claimed on waivers. The Vikings put him on their IR, but apparently gave him an injury settlement, which is why he became available to the Jags as a potential Practice Squad player.

Not sure the extent of his current injury.

After further research, Tulsaworld.com states that Tyrus Thompson suffered a concussion in the Vikings final preseason game, which may the injury that allowed the Vikings to place him on I.R.

Perhaps Thompson cleared his concussion protocol which allowed the Vikings to waiver him from I.R.

Vikings loss is the Jaguars gain.

So......

Championship?
Quote:So......

Championship?

Super Bowl without a doubt.
It's a PROCESS and NOT an EVENT!

One thing for sure,  Tyrus Thompson has size/ wingspan that many Offensive Tackles can only dream about.  

Joekel's days are now numbered. Smile
Quote:Most draftniks had him higher than Williams.  I had him as a 3rd rounder on my big board if anyone cares.

I always wondered why people had Williams over Thompson when Thompson was the starting LT. Maybe he is a head case but I am glad we get a chance verify. It can't hurt!

Im down for giving him a shot. Love the up side. Not much of a risk.

Interesting draft write-ups such as this...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">A top-level athlete with impressive movement skills and strength, Tyrus Thompson can dominate at the point of attack. Thompson is a versatile, attacking player with experience at left and right tackle. He has the length, size and athleticism to physically dominate defenders when he gets his hands on them. His footwork is good enough to allow him to recover if beaten to the edge, and he uses his size well to cut off inside and outside rushes. He can get to the second level and dominate in the run game...

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/24297...ngs-rookie

They also graded him as a "future starter." Conference coaches named him 1st Team All-Big 12 as a senior LT.

He had lackluster combine results as he was still overcoming foot and hamstring injuries, and this may help to explain why he fell. As to why he was waived, I noticed this quip from nfldraftscout's news log...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">...Thompson didn't adjust to a move to guard before suffering a concussion in the final preseason game. (Sep 6, 2015)

He's definitely big measuring in at this year's combine at 6' 4 7/8", 324 lbs (Vikings listed him at 6-5, 330) where he did an impressive 29 reps on the bench. His hands measured 10 1/4" and his arms measured 34 7/8". He was born in Germany as his father was a US Army paratrooper.

Marrone could clean up his technique and make something out of him. Good stash for sure.
Any footage of him from the preseason?
Quote:I always wondered why people had Williams over Thompson when Thompson was the starting LT. Maybe he is a head case but I am glad we get a chance verify. It can't hurt!

As for as him being a "head case," it's not like he was getting into trouble. It's just that some scouts questioned his effort on the field.

Apparently they signed Jordan Tripp as well. Fifth round pick out of Montana last year by Miami. Kind of a workout wonder from what I remember.

<div><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye'>@mike_e_kaye</a>
</div>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(252,252,252);">Not sure if this is out there: <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Jaguars'>#Jaguars</a> signed LB Jordan Tripp and OT Tyrus Thompson to practice squad and released OT Patrick Miller.

OT Patrick Miller? I don't recall them signing him.

The Dolphins waived-injured Tripp during their cut-down to 53. He sprained his ankle in the first preseason game. Tripp (6-3, 236) played in 13 games for the Dolphins last year mostly on Special Teams. Drawing some praise for his motor and ability to tackle, Tripp backed up at MLB and SLB although his actual game reps on defense were limited. At his combine, he led LBs in the 3-cone and short shuttle. As a side note, he can long snap in case of emergency.

Good job DC Smile
Pages: 1 2