Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars Patriots Offensive & Defensive Stats Through Week 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

raweyejag

Jaguars Offensive and Defensive average yards per game are better than last year even though only 2 weeks

Jags Defense

9th Overall Defense Average Yards Per Game 324.5( 2014 Last Year Ave Per Game 370.8)
20th Pass Defense AYPG 251.0 (LYAPG 243.7)
5th Rushing Defense AYPG 73.5 (LYAPG 127.1)
Patriots Offense
2nd Overall Offense AYPG  434.0
1st Pass Offense AYPG  366.0
28th Rush Offense AYPG  68.0
Jags Defense SHOULD have difficulty(understatement) covering Pass but should do excellent against poor Patriot rushing offense

Jags Offense
21st  Overall Offense AYPG  330.5 (2014 LYAPG 289.6)
18th Pass Offense AYPG 221.0 (LYAPG 187.6)
17th Rush Offense AYPG 109.5 (LYAPG 102.1)
Patriots Defense
29th  Overall Defense AYPG 406.5
22nd Pass Defense AYPG 259.5
28th Rush Defense AYPG 147
Jags Offense SHOULD be able to run on Patriot Defense and Pass match up  is close but edge to Jags
Pats fan here.

I wouldn't look too much into the stats. Belichick game plans each week specifically for the opponent and takes advantage of their flaws. 

For example - against Pittsburgh, we dropped 6-7 into coverage on the majority of defensive plays, and played mostly 250lb DL because we were trying to stop the pass. Hence, Pittsburgh was able to run the ball consistently. 

Another example - we did not run the ball much in either game, because there were matchups to be exploited in the passing game. So while we did not accumulate many rushing yards, Dion Lewis who has started at RB for us in the first 2 games is averaging 5 YPC, and has 258 all purpose yards, which I believe is top 5 in the league. We threw 59 times in the Buffalo game.

Against the Jags, I assume we see more of the same. I expect Belichick to employ a pass heavy offense, since it looks like the Jags have been pretty good against the run. 

Jags seem to be playing fairly well this year. Should be an interesting match up. Will Julius Thomas be playing?

No Julius still out. We desperately need him back as our TW production has been nil during the first 2 games.
I just hope We try to cover Gronk unlike the Steelers attempt

raweyejag

Quote:Pats fan here.

I wouldn't look too much into the stats. Belichick game plans each week specifically for the opponent and takes advantage of their flaws. 

For example - against Pittsburgh, we dropped 6-7 into coverage on the majority of defensive plays, and played mostly 250lb DL because we were trying to stop the pass. Hence, Pittsburgh was able to run the ball consistently. 

Another example - we did not run the ball much in either game, because there were matchups to be exploited in the passing game. So while we did not accumulate many rushing yards, Dion Lewis who has started at RB for us in the first 2 games is averaging 5 YPC, and has 258 all purpose yards, which I believe is top 5 in the league. We threw 59 times in the Buffalo game.

Against the Jags, I assume we see more of the same. I expect Belichick to employ a pass heavy offense, since it looks like the Jags have been pretty good against the run. 

Jags seem to be playing fairly well this year. Should be an interesting match up. Will Julius Thomas be playing?
Latest Update is no go for JT for this week maybe next week. Appreciate you not attacking post like Panthers fans last week. I only post stats to show tendencies obviously that is "why we play the games".  I will say it amazes me that opposing fans post on Opposing teams website. I guess that is new social media...I am old no tweeting or facebook for me :mellow:

Run.The.Football.

Quote:Latest Update is no go for JT for this week maybe next week. Appreciate you not attacking post like Panthers fans last week. I only post stats to show tendencies obviously that is "why we play the games".  I will say it amazes me that opposing fans post on Opposing teams website. I guess that is new social media...I am old no tweeting or facebook for me :mellow:
That sounds like a big loss. NE usually struggles with TEs. Although they contained JT fairly well last year vs Denver when they put Chung on him.

How has your Oline played? NE added a few pieces to the front 7 over the offseason, and they recorded 8 sacks last week vs Buffalo (they have 11 through the first 2 weeks.) That's the strength of the defense now, whereas last season it was the secondary. 

raweyejag

Quote:That sounds like a big loss. NE usually struggles with TEs. Although they contained JT fairly well last year vs Denver when they put Chung on him.

How has your Oline played? NE added a few pieces to the front 7 over the offseason, and they recorded 8 sacks last week vs Buffalo (they have 11 through the first 2 weeks.) That's the strength of the defense now, whereas last season it was the secondary. 

Improved from last year with addition of Parnell, Jermey and Wisniewski, Stefen and talking heads have indicated as much especially after Dolphins and Suh left town. I did take notice of Patriots sacks and thought they need to  stick to their assignments
The Pats D does look to have some weakness we might be able to take advantage of....but I cant see our D holing Gronk and company....

I honestly like the match ups outside of Tom Brady, lol. Gronk will get his, and Brady is in the conversation for GOAT. Hard game, but the Pats aren't invincible. I just hope for a close, exiting game like NFL games should be. 

raweyejag

Quote:I honestly like the match ups outside of Tom Brady, lol. Gronk will get his, and Brady is in the conversation for GOAT. Hard game, but the Pats aren't invincible. I just hope for a close, exiting game like NFL games should be. 

We have proven we are susceptible to TE catches and Brady to Gronk will certainly be seen a lot. I agree I just want it to be a competitive game like last week. More experience against good teams.
The Jags only shot to win this game is to out score the Pats.

Which means scoring a TD on every possession.

Receiving the ball first.

and having possession last.

Stats after 2 weeks are skewed based on opponents. While the Jags face the Phins and Panthers, the Pats faced Pitt and Buffalo.

We will need long drives.

We will need a little luck.

A bad bounce or PI call in our favor.

But I don't expect us to be blown out or look like a college team facing the SB winner.

Quote:I honestly like the match ups outside of Tom Brady, lol. Gronk will get his, and Brady is in the conversation for GOAT. Hard game, but the Pats aren't invincible. I just hope for a close, exiting game like NFL games should be. 

Don't sleep on Edelman. We've seen him get open and have big games against some excellent secondary units in high profile games. He's very consistent, and sometimes even double teaming him doesn't work, as we saw last week in Buffalo.

Lewis can pose matchup problems as well, because he can gain chunks of yards on the ground as well as in the receiving game. He's a more talented  and productive version of Vereen.

Quote:We have proven we are susceptible to TE catches and Brady to Gronk will certainly be seen a lot. I agree I just want it to be a competitive game like last week. More experience against good teams.
Last year we were susceptible to TEs. They killed us.

This year, Olson and Cameron didn't get much.

Our D looked pretty darn good against Carolina, and I don't think any of them really had a great day offensively.

The Phins did well when matching up LBs on slot guys... but overall we smothered them much of the game.

This week is a true test for where our D is.
Quote:The Jags only shot to win this game is to out score the Pats.

Which means scoring a TD on every possession.

Receiving the ball first.

and having possession last.

Stats after 2 weeks are skewed based on opponents. While the Jags face the Phins and Panthers, the Pats faced Pitt and Buffalo.

We will need long drives.

We will need a little luck.

A bad bounce or PI call in our favor.

But I don't expect us to be blown out or look like a college team facing the SB winner.
Believe me, you don't wany ANY "Luck" on your side when facing NE. Wink

It would be a nice time for Yeldon to "Break Out"

I'd go a Dime package all game and see if you can force them to run.

I'd go heavy on Offense and RUN the FOOTBALL

Pats Fan Here said "Belichick game plans each week specifically for the opponent and takes advantage of their flaws"

There's a novel idea.  Why didn't we think of that?  Wait... we did....just haven't been able to execute that...ugh

23 - 20 Pats.....but that means we have a chance at the end!
Quote:Believe me, you don't wany ANY "Luck" on your side when facing NE. Wink
I know he's a really good QB. And I know hindsight is 20/20...

but I'm not getting the hype on the guy.

Turnover machine... not actually good enough to make up for Oline fallacies. 

shoulda sucked for luck...

-shrug- wahtevs... 
Quote:I just hope We try to cover Gronk unlike the Steelers attempt

Im sure Surge Brown wants to have another shot at shutting down Gronk, since last year he got "bounced outta da club" and all
We allowed 0 sacks last week. I don't think the Patriots will get 8 sacks at all. Jaguars offense can compete with Patriots defense because we will run the ball and control the time of possession to keep the ball away from Brady. Jags have been playing really good defense, so playing the Patriots will be a test for us. Remember we are missing many key players such as Marks DT and Thomas TE.

Quote:Latest Update is no go for JT for this week maybe next week. Appreciate you not attacking post like Panthers fans last week. I only post stats to show tendencies obviously that is "why we play the games".  I will say it amazes me that opposing fans post on Opposing teams website. I guess that is new social media...I am old no tweeting or facebook for me :mellow:

I don't mind it.

In fact, it can be fun and informative with the right fans posting.

I just wish we won more, then we'd have a little more smack to run.