Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Just re-watched the game and A-Rob....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Should have had over 200 yards receiving. Those 3 plays where he was hosed (no call blatant PI, BS PI call on him, Yeldon playing defense) would have resulted in a 200 yard day for him. Crazy, the man couldn't be stopped. We can only hope he keeps playing this dominant and attacking the ball. If he can play with this much effort and intensity all week in and week out he will be one of the best receivers in the NFL and every bit as good as Blackmon could have been for us.

Lee is also capable of having games like this. Hopefully A-Rob's breakout motivates him. We should have two guys who can both go off for 100+ yards any given Sunday depending on who the defense decides to target that day. We also have Hurns who can have a big game out of nowhere and Greene who is a good move the chains slot guy (although he had drops this week).

If we can get the run blocking tightened up Yeldon will be a back that can consistently get 85+ yards on the ground. Seriously, in two years this offense should be something special. Bortles just has to continue developing and we have to continue having games like this week where he isn't under siege constantly.
PI not being called wouldn't affect his total yards.
What worried me was it seemed like Bortles reverted back to being way too cautious in the 2nd half, instead of throwing it deep to Robinson whom was beating his coverage or taking a chance on Lee or Hurns deep.

Unless you're watching the All-22 how do you know Robinson was beating his coverage or wasn't being double teamed? Also you can't throw the ball deep on every down. You have to have a rhythm. They didn't have a rhythm because the running game was getting stone walled and putting them in bad field position and when he tried short passes they were being dropped at in-opportune times.
Quote:What worried me was it seemed like Bortles reverted back to being way too cautious in the 2nd half, instead of throwing it deep to Robinson whom was beating his coverage or taking a chance on Lee or Hurns deep.

I didn't see the film or anything but I'm sure Miami started to roll coverage towards AR15 after he abused their corners in single coverage for 30 minutes. I thought Olsen and Blake made the necessary adjustments but the offense didn't execute well enough (drops mainly). The most important thing in my opinion was we didn't abandon the ground game and it paid off in the end. Much better called game than week 1.
They shouldve tried to give the ball more to Corey Grant on the outside, they only handed off once to him up the middle & he was tackled as the ball was being handed to him.

Quote:I didn't see the film or anything but I'm sure Miami started to roll coverage towards AR15 after he abused their corners in single coverage for 30 minutes. I thought Olsen and Blake made the necessary adjustments but the offense didn't execute well enough (drops mainly). The most important thing in my opinion was we didn't abandon the ground game and it paid off in the end. Much better called game than week 1.

Agreed!  They need to hand the ball off like 20 times a game (when possible) for success!
I thought last Sunday that A Rob...
Quote:What worried me was it seemed like Bortles reverted back to being way too cautious in the 2nd half, instead of throwing it deep to Robinson whom was beating his coverage or taking a chance on Lee or Hurns deep.

He still hears the zone blocking finesse man Fisch in his head when scanning the field. It's gonna take a while to recover his aggression.
Quote:I didn't see the film or anything but I'm sure Miami started to roll coverage towards AR15 after he abused their corners in single coverage for 30 minutes. I thought Olsen and Blake made the necessary adjustments but the offense didn't execute well enough (drops mainly). The most important thing in my opinion was we didn't abandon the ground game and it paid off in the end. Much better called game than week 1.

I agree with everything you said, but I want to take issue with the last sentence.  

Week 1, if Myers hits all his kicks, and Bortles doesn't throw a pick 6, we are tied.  Drive for the game winning FG at the end, and it's a win, and I'd bet you wouldn't be criticizing the play calling then. 

It's funny how when we win, "the play calling was good," and when we lose, "the play calling was bad."  99% of the time it's the execution that makes the difference, not the play calling. 

I just get tired of people criticizing the play calling, when they don't sit in on the meetings where the coaching staff agrees on a game plan and decides what plays they think will work and what plays won't.   I agree with what Bortles said.  It's like kindergarteners criticizing college students. 

Part of Robinsons amazing game was the fact that Bortles started looking deep and throwing. That was exciting and encouraging after seeing so many dump offs and short throws last week and for the previous 4 years. Lee looking impressive too. Greene still dropped two which is disturbing. But all in all..we won because we were actually agressive. I can stand a L if we actually play agressive instead of losing but being so conservative
Quote:PI not being called wouldn't affect his total yards.

Why wouldn't it? They mistakenly called PI for a push off on the CB, but on replay he didn't touch the CB...the CB merely slipped

1. 1-10-JAC 20 (10:28) 5-B.Bortles pass deep right to 15-A.Robinson to JAC 37 for 17 yards (21-B.Grimes). PENALTY on JAC-15-A.Robinson, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at JAC 20 - No Play.
  2. 1-20-JAC 10 (10:06) 24-T.Yeldon up the middle to JAC 14 for 4 yards (53-J.Jenkins).
Quote:Why wouldn't it? They mistakenly called PI for a push off on the CB, but on replay he didn't touch the CB...the CB merely slipped
  1. 1-10-JAC 20 (10:28) 5-B.Bortles pass deep right to 15-A.Robinson to JAC 37 for 17 yards (21-B.Grimes). PENALTY on JAC-15-A.Robinson, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at JAC 20 - No Play.
  2. 1-20-JAC 10 (10:06) 24-T.Yeldon up the middle to JAC 14 for 4 yards (53-J.Jenkins).
I meant the PI call that didn't come when it should have. That would have been a penalty, not extra yards for Robinson. Obviously the offensive PI call that was made when it shouldn't have been would have given him the extra yards for the pass he caught.
Quote:I agree with everything you said, but I want to take issue with the last sentence.  

Week 1, if Myers hits all his kicks, and Bortles doesn't throw a pick 6, we are tied.  Drive for the game winning FG at the end, and it's a win, and I'd bet you wouldn't be criticizing the play calling then. 

It's funny how when we win, "the play calling was good," and when we lose, "the play calling was bad."  99% of the time it's the execution that makes the difference, not the play calling. 

I just get tired of people criticizing the play calling, when they don't sit in on the meetings where the coaching staff agrees on a game plan and decides what plays they think will work and what plays won't.   I agree with what Bortles said.  It's like kindergarteners criticizing college students. 

Even if the Jaguars were to have won without those mistakes, that doesn't necessarily mean the playcalling was flawless. The fact remains that TJ was off to a great start week one, but then we hardly saw him after that. TJ finished the game with a 4.3 average on 12 carries. He should have had twice as many carries.

I understand why the running game gets scrapped after a team falls behind by a bit, but I'm talking about well before they fell behind. Actually, I think Oley has done a great job playcalling overall, but I do think he overlooked Yeldon after a great start week one, and I further think he realized as much and addressed it by sticking with Yeldon week two. This has nothing to do with whether they won or lost.

Quote:I meant the PI call that didn't come when it should have. That would have been a penalty, not extra yards for Robinson. Obviously the offensive PI call that was made when it shouldn't have been would have given him the extra yards for the pass he caught.

Oh yeah. They way you phrased it made me think of the wrong play. You're right though... WRs don't get credit for penalty yards.