Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Tight Ends - what's wrong ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Two games in, I'm still a little unsure why Bortles is choosing not to throw to our TEs.

Is it simply that they are not getting open ?

Have we decided they aren't good enough as pass catchers, so Bortles has been instructed not to throw to them ?

Are they too useful as blockers ?

Or does Bortles have more faith in Hurns, Greene and Robinson ?

Or maybe a combination of these ?
I'm going to lean they're blocking.

Blake said on that long pass to ARob for the td they shifted protection to keep Lewis in to block.

I think we'll see them open up a bit against the Pats since their DL is significantly weaker than Miami or Carolina
I think they've been instructed to stay as blockers more than they typically would be.
I suspect they  are saving that part of the playbook until Thomas returns

They're blocking, with limited release as a check down.

I think it's just a combination of things. Also, not mentioned, I think defenses are crowding the box which is where Marcedes pretty much lives these days.

I also find it curious that the screen game has vanished.
Mercedes is a better blocker than receiver at this stage, and without a legitimate TE to take pressure off him he just can't get it done. He needs to be replaced, but we have far more pressing issues and needs than to worry about him.
Cause its Marcedes. Pretty simple. I wouldn't throw to him either with the other options available.
Quote:Two games in, I'm still a little unsure why Bortles is choosing not to throw to our TEs.

Have we decided they aren't good enough as pass catchers, so Bortles has been instructed not to throw to them ?

maybe yes to all the above. The one pass he did make to Lewis was a drop. Without JT, our TE's are blockers who can (sometimes) catch the ball... sometimes. Seriously, who would you look to first to throw to? Our WR corps or one of the TE's? When Julius Thomas shows up, that will change I'm sure.
They did have two missed targets. One overthrow to Lewis near the end zone, and another overthrow to Lewis over the middle in the 4th qtr.
I would think they're blocking more. Could be a big reason why he is having more time in the pocket. I'm all for more protection!
Our tight ends suck outside of Julius. I'd be surprised if Lewis was on this team next year. If he is then it's with a very small contract
Quote:Two games in, I'm still a little unsure why Bortles is choosing not to throw to our TEs.

They're not very good
Marcedes is really nothing more than an extra tackle at this point
Lewis easily could have made two big plays yesterday if the balls were thrown on target.  The one catchable ball thrown his way was dropped.

We have tight ends?

Why throw to the TE's when you have an offensive weapon like Alualu?

Quote:We have tight ends?

Patience..The tight end is a relatively new concept. As more and more teams use them, I'm sure Bradley will too.
Quote:Our tight ends suck outside of Julius. I'd be surprised if Lewis was on this team next year. If he is then it's with a very small contract
Agreed, you can't replace everyone all at once.  Lewis took a payout to stay this year, doubt he's around much longer once they develop the younger TE's on the roster. 
Quote:I'm going to lean they're blocking.

Blake said on that long pass to ARob for the td they shifted protection to keep Lewis in to block.

I think we'll see them open up a bit against the Pats since their DL is significantly weaker than Miami or Carolina

Did you see the number that RE did against the Bills now going against Young, part of the reason Young did okay was he had Lewis helping on double teaming Miamis RE.

The one time I saw him pass to M. Lewis he dropped it, and Blake looked frustrated afterwards.....

I dont expect a  lot of passes to Lewis which is confusing based on PreSeason TE play, but with the Oline needing help they will probably have him block to allow Hurns & Robinson to get down field (especially with Pats having weak DBs this year)!
Pages: 1 2