Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Selling out games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Someone on Facebook is claiming the Jaguars are the only team that failed to sell out week one, but no link was provided and I'm unable to verify this online. Has anyone heard as much? I figured it's wrong because the game was aired locally, but apparently the FCC eliminated the blackout rule last year. I presume it's still the case that games are shown even if not sold out, although I'm hoping to confirm this as well.

Quote:Someone on Facebook is claiming the Jaguars are the only team that failed to sell out week one, but no link was provided and I'm unable to verify this online. Has anyone heard as much? I figured it's wrong because the game was aired locally, but apparently the FCC eliminated the blackout rule last year. I presume it's still the case that games are shown even if not sold out, although I'm hoping to confirm this as well.
I doubt that is true.

This was in the St. Louis Post dispatch as of Friday.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/...32919.html

They had about 40,000 tickets sold.

Here are ESPN's week one attendance figures.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Rams had 51K attend the game.  Their stadium capacity is about 66K.. 

Quote:Someone on Facebook is claiming the Jaguars are the only team that failed to sell out week one, but no link was provided and I'm unable to verify this online. Has anyone heard as much? I figured it's wrong because the game was aired locally, but apparently the FCC eliminated the blackout rule last year. I presume it's still the case that games are shown even if not sold out, although I'm hoping to confirm this as well.

Here you go, looks like Jax had the 3rd lowest % but quite a few teams didn't sell out:  http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance
Quote:Here you go, looks like Jax had the 3rd lowest % but quite a few teams didn't sell out:  http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Actually at just over 90 percent it's the 4th lowest, but only because the Redskins have a huge stadium to fill. If there was only one team, it must have been the Rams. I'm wondering what percentage sold they're calling a "sell out" if it's something less than 100 percent. Only four teams actually topped 100 percent.

Funny... we have one of the smallest markets with one of the larger stadiums and what seems like a perpetually bad pro football team. (sarcasm font engaged) I'm shocked at the thought that we might not sell out our home games given the product that's being put on the field.  Expect more... well yeah; we can't hardly get less!

Quote:Actually at just over 90 percent it's the 4th lowest, but only because the Redskins have a huge stadium to fill. If there was only one team, it must have been the Rams. I'm wondering what percentage sold they're calling a "sell out" if it's something less than 100 percent. Only four teams actually topped 100 percent.

Is the 85% rule still in effect for blackouts?
I think blackouts are a thing of the past

Honestly, these numbers (IMO) are always misleading for our fanbase simply because of the visiting teams impact, and why Khan plays games in London to recoup some numbers. Yes, we've been terrible and our fans have done a good job of supporting in spite of it. But its still not good enough for long-term sustainability.

I heard quite an audible "Luuuukes" when Kuechly made plays, and cheers when the Panthers made plays/stops.

Carolina is only a drive away from Jax, and you can bet that the attendance #s will show good numbers vs. Miami despite the fact that there will be TONS of Phins fans in the stadium

Maybe this is just me but it always seems when watching a Jags game on TV they make it a point to show the entire stadium to see if it's full.

My family lives around the STL area and they keep the cameras located on the field the whole time. Never see the crowd and I've been to plenty of Rams games and it never looks sold out.
Jags have not sold out a game in 8 plus years. Neither has many other organizations. I noticed many empties at many games during this weeks openers. It is not a Jax only problem.

The upper decks at the Carolina game were at about 60 % capacity from the looks of it. I think I saw a tweet from the Jags that announced 60 thousand plus distributed but that amount surely was not in attendance. Kinda sad to see.

I don't really blame anybody who does not go to games. It is really hard going to a football game knowing that there is a good chance you will see your team lose.

Quote:I don't really blame anybody who does not go to games. It is really hard going to a football game knowing that there is a good chance you will see your team lose.
Not only lose, but have the game be over by halftime.
Quote:I don't really blame anybody who does not go to games. It is really hard going to a football game knowing that there is a good chance you will see your team lose.
I don't blame folks either, it's their prerogative. I also won't blame Khan when he packs bags. Winning is nice,(so I hear) but not our main catalyst for going to the games, because of that we don't find it "hard" to go. But that's us.
Even if they move, we can still watch them on tv. Nothing will change for most of you that go to a game every 2 years by getting your tickets off craigslist.
Quote:I don't blame folks either, it's their prerogative. I also won't blame Khan when he packs bags. Winning is nice,(so I hear) but not our main catalyst for going to the games, because of that we don't find it "hard" to go. But that's us.

I still go. But fan apathy sets in after enough losing. The Patriots and Seahawks used to play in front of half empty stadiums too.
Quote:Not only lose, but have the game be over by halftime.

Actually most of the home games last year were close at halftime and the second half played out like this past game.

raweyejag

Quote:Is the 85% rule still in effect for blackouts?

No for now. FCC stopped federal approval last year and NFL did not enforce blackout rule. This year owners voted to suspend blackout rule for 2015. My guess would be it is the end but owners will continue year to year votes to monitor attendance.

ONLY 18 teams have played home games so we won't end up 3rd from last. 2 teams attendance not yet reported their attendance.
Quote:No for now. FCC stopped federal approval last year and NFL did not enforce blackout rule. This year owners voted to suspend blackout rule for 2015. My guess would be it is the end but owners will continue year to year votes to monitor attendance.

ONLY 18 teams have played home games so we won't end up 3rd from last. 2 teams attendance not yet reported their attendance.

The blackout rule here was gone when Khan bought the team. He would not allow blackouts like Weaver did.
I was at the game and It seemed about 80% full to me. Does the cabanas/pool area account for attendance as well? I noticed a lot of the 1st half that there were a TON of people in the pool area/Bud Zone/Standing near railings. I think if everyone was sitting down, the stadium would've seemed 'full'

But until the product on the field improves twofold, we won't be selling out or even hitting the 95% cap range

Quote:I was at the game and It seemed about 80% full to me. Does the cabanas/pool area account for attendance as well? I noticed a lot of the 1st half that there were a TON of people in the pool area/Bud Zone/Standing near railings. I think if everyone was sitting down, the stadium would've seemed 'full'

But until the product on the field improves twofold, we won't be selling out or even hitting the 95% cap range
The people who spend the game in the Bud Zone in the SEZ, or the FanDuel area in the NEZ mostly have seats in the stadium that they've vacated for the decks.  The cabana areas are sold separately. 
Pages: 1 2