Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Richard Sherman Starts Press Conference by Speaking About the Black Lives Matter Movement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Story  I think it's the most he's ever said to press at one time. I'm glad it was on this subject.

<p class="" style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">"In case you haven't noticed by now, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman is a guy who isn't afraid to speak his mind. But earlier this afternoon, he started a press conference by revealing that he did not write a Black Lives Matter post that was published a few days ago, even though his name was connected to it. He does have some thoughts on Black Lives Matter, though, so he shared them with reporters. And while there are going to be some people who don't like what he had to say—specifically with regards to his thoughts on black-on-black crime—Sherman didn't hold back.

<p class="" style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">You can watch the beginning of his press conference here:"

<p class="" style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">The video isn't that long and there's a transcription below it of what he said. 

Quote:Story  I think it's the most he's ever said to press at one time. I'm glad it was on this subject.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">"In case you haven't noticed by now, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman is a guy who isn't afraid to speak his mind. But earlier this afternoon, he started a press conference by revealing that he did not write a Black Lives Matter post that was published a few days ago, even though his name was connected to it. He does have some thoughts on Black Lives Matter, though, so he shared them with reporters. And while there are going to be some people who don't like what he had to say—specifically with regards to his thoughts on black-on-black crime—Sherman didn't hold back.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">You can watch the beginning of his press conference here:"

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">The video isn't that long and there's a transcription below it of what he said. 

I think that he's right.  Thank you for sharing the video.
I am interested to see how this plays in the media, but i have to tip my cap to the guy.  It would have been a lot easier on him to just cast it aside and i think that he was spot on with no axe to grind.

Quote:I am interested to see how this plays in the media, but i have to tip my cap to the guy.  It would have been a lot easier on him to just cast it aside and i think that he was spot on with no axe to grind.
He is a pretty well spoken man when he wants to be and I am really happy he took this opportunity to show it.  I wish we had more leaders like him in the movement.  There is an issue and it does need to be fixed but the way many have gone about trying to change that has been incorrect.
I agree with a lot of what he has to say. The biggest disagreement I would have is the notion that black people have to clean up their own house, so to speak, before addressing interracial issues. I think both can (and should) be addressed at the same time. It would be akin to an NFL coach saying that he wanted his team to learn how to score points before trying to build a defense that can stop others from doing so. A statement like that wouldn't fly. He'd be eaten alive by the press and by fans for saying that you shouldn't or can't address both sides of the ball at the same time.

Aside from that, I have a minor disagreement here or there, but otherwise think it's a very well thought-out statement from someone that, based upon the Erin Andrews interview, you might not expect to pop out many of those.

Quote:I agree with a lot of what he has to say. The biggest disagreement I would have is the notion that black people have to clean up their own house, so to speak, before addressing interracial issues. I think both can (and should) be addressed at the same time. It would be akin to an NFL coach saying that he wanted his team to learn how to score points before trying to build a defense that can stop others from doing so. A statement like that wouldn't fly. He'd be eaten alive by the press and by fans for saying that you shouldn't or can't address both sides of the ball at the same time.

Aside from that, I have a minor disagreement here or there, but otherwise think it's a very well thought-out statement from someone that, based upon the Erin Andrews interview, you might not expect to pop out many of those.

I haven't clicked on the link, nor do I care to, but the biggest myth is that Sherman is an idiot. He was accepted to and graduated from Stanford, something most in the US probably couldn't do.If you have ever heard him speak on a serious topic, he sounds incredibly intelligent.

That interview with Erin Andrews was all an act to enhance his brand. It made him a household name all across America, including non football fans, which is near impossible for a CB to do. It probably brought him tons of endorsement money.
Quote:I haven't clicked on the link, nor do I care to, but the biggest myth is that Sherman is an idiot. He was accepted to and graduated from Stanford, something most in the US probably couldn't do.If you have ever heard him speak on a serious topic, he sounds incredibly intelligent.

That interview with Erin Andrews was all an act to enhance his brand. It made him a household name all across America, including non football fans, which is near impossible for a CB to do. It probably brought him tons of endorsement money.
Oh, I'm not saying he was an idiot. A degree from Stanford is not something that an idiot gets. Just that it would seem surprising to those who only knew him from the Erin Andrews interview to see how articulate and intelligent he really is.
Quote:I haven't clicked on the link, nor do I care to, but the biggest myth is that Sherman is an idiot. He was accepted to and graduated from Stanford, something most in the US probably couldn't do.If you have ever heard him speak on a serious topic, he sounds incredibly intelligent.

Just curious why you wouldn't care to click on the link. As you pointed out and TJ agreed, a lot of people see Sherman as his 'brand' instead of the person seen here. The intelligent one who grew up in the 'hood and graduated from Stanford. 

I personally didn't care to see any of his post-game appearances because of his 'brand' and the ride the media takes on it until I saw a documentary thing he did that showed who he really is. That's who I would watch in interviews. 
Black lives matter. criminal lives are still up for debate.
There's no question he is correct.

Quote:Black lives matter. criminal lives are still up for debate.
Disgusting. Not a surprising position but disgusting none the less.
Quote:Black lives matter. VIOLENT criminal lives are still up for debate.

Quote:Disgusting. Not a surprising position but disgusting none the less.
fixed*?
Quote:fixed*?

Sure but that's not what he meant. He doesn't mince words. He means what he says.
Quote:Sure but that's not what he meant. He doesn't mince words. He means what he says.
ya probably right

lives matter.

my opinion is violent criminals lives don't matter (rapists, pedos, murderers, and the semi controversial one anyone who thinks its alright to assault someone which)  The reason I add assault is you never know if that assault is going to lead to brain damage, a permanent physical or mental disability or death.

you wanna sell some weed or drugs and have an altercation with a cop.. surrender deal with the consequences of your actions don't give any officer any reason to step up their force.

joining cop hate groups and threatening blue lives does nothing but put a cop on more of an edge an increases the chance of something bad happening.

Quote:Disgusting. Not a surprising position but disgusting none the less.

Just because you want to coddle the lawbreakers doesnt mean we all do. Do the crime, do the time.
Quote:Just because you want to coddle the lawbreakers doesnt mean we all do. Do the crime, do the time.

Just because I don't want people being killed without trials (though that's another topic by itself) doesn't mean I want to coddle them. I don't know why that's hard to understand.
Quote:Just because I don't want people being killed without trials (though that's another topic by itself) doesn't mean I want to coddle them. I don't know why that's hard to understand.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? I didn't say anything about not giving criminals a trial. 
Quote:Why are you putting words in my mouth? I didn't say anything about not giving criminals a trial.

If you don't want to be misconstrued, choose your words better. I still think I interpreted your statement correctly.
Good for Richard Sherman. It is about time someone in his position took a stance against black-on-black violence.

[Image: Y3EbTi0.jpg]

Quote:If you don't want to be misconstrued, choose your words better. I still think I interpreted your statement correctly.

Would you care to elaborate on what you thought I said that was so disgusting?
Pages: 1 2