Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: In-Depth Perspective Of The 2013 And 2014 Draft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I could go even more in-depth and go further back, but I'd rather stick to the most recent years. I'll only put down the rounds 1-3, because that's where these picks actually matter and should be with your team for many years to come. Of course no one had knowledge of who would actually be good or not, but this is still fun to think about who your team could've drafted. You guys decide and see if our picks were actually good, or fails. I'll list the top players that have proven themselves in Rounds 1-3. I've probably missed a few players that are worth mentioning, but oh well. Out of these rounds and players, who would you have liked to pick? Or would you still keep our picks?

2013 NFL Draft

Everyone says it was a weak draft, but there were was a lot of good talent, but here's what we could've ended up with:

<b>Round 1:</b>

<b>Luke Joeckel (Jaguars)</b>

1.  Ezekiel Ansah (Lions)

2. Tavon Austin (Rams)

3. Chance Warmack (Titans)

4. Sheldon Richardson (Jets)

5. Star Lotulelei (Panthers

6. Kenny Vacarro (Saints)

7. Eric Reid (49ers)

8. Kyle Long (Bears)

9. Tyler Eifert (Bengals)

10. Desmond Trufant (Falcons)

11. Xavier Rhodes (Vikings)

12. DeAndre Hopkins (Texans)

13. Cordarrelle Patterson (Vikings)

14. Alec Ogletree (Rams)

<b>Round 2:</b>

This round was pretty weak. Still Very talented players available nonetheless.

<b>Jonathan Cyprien (Jaguars)</b>

<b>1. Justin Hunter (Titans)</b>

<b>2. Zach Ertz (Eagles)</b>

<b>3. Giovani Bernard (Bengals)</b>

<b>4. Kiko Alonso (Bills)</b>

<b>5. Le'Veon Bell (Steelers)</b>

<b>6. Jonathan Bostic (Bears)</b>

<b>7. Jamie Collins (Patriots)</b>

<b>8. Eddie Lacy (Packers)</b>

<b>Round 3:</b>

This is where the talent level dropped significantly

Dwayne Gratz (Jaguars)

1. Tyrann Mathieu

2. T.J. McDonald (Rams)

3. Terrance Williams (Cowboys)

4. Kennan Allen (Chargers)

5. Marquise Goodwin (Bills)

6. Markus Weaton (Steelers)

<b>7. J.J. Wilcox (Cowboys)</b>

<b>8. Jordan Reed (Redskins)</b>

2014 NFL Draft:

Round 1:

<b>Blake Bortles (Jaguars)</b>

1. Sammy Watkins (Bills)

2. Khalil Mack (Raiders)

<b>3. Mike Evans (Bucs)</b>

<b>4. Anthony Barr (Vikings)</b>

<b>5. Eric Ebron (Lions)</b>

<b>6. Odell Becham Jr. (Giants)</b>

<b>7. Aaron Donald (Rams)</b>

<b>8. Kyle Fuller (Bears)</b>

<b>9. Ryan Shazier (Steelers)</b>

<b>10. Zack Martin (Cowboys)</b>

<b>11. C.J. Mosley (Ravens)</b>

<b>12. Calvin Pryor (Jets)</b>

<b>13. Brandin Cooks (Saints)</b>

<b>14. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (Packers)</b>

<b>15. Jason Verrett (Chargers)</b>

<b>16. Deone Bucannon (Cardinals)</b>

<b>17. Kelvin Benjamin (Panthers)</b>

<b>18. Bradley Roby (Broncos)</b>

<b>19. Teddy Bridgewater (Vikings)</b>

Round 2:

Marqise Lee (Jaguars)

Allen Robinson (Jaguars)

1. Jordan Matthews (Eagles)

2. Bishop Sankey (Titans)

3. Jeremy Hill (Bengals)

4. Carlos Hyde (49ers)

5. Jarvis Landry (Dolphins)

Round 3:

Brandon Linder (Jaguars)

1. Chris Borland (49ers lol)

2.  Khyri Thornton (Packers)

3. Donte Moncrief (Colts)

4. John Brown (Cardinals)

<b>5. Dri Archer (Steelers)</b>
I'm confused. Why are you not listing Eagles RT Lane Johnson as a possibility in 2013? We'd have a rather decent OL right now if we had Lane at RT and Eugene at LT.

Meh, another 20/20 hindsight post.

Bortles could still turn out to be the best choice in 2014, you can't write off a player after one season plus one game, especially at a position where development is crucial. Can the Jags coaching staff develop players?

As far as 2013, the pick of Joeckel was reasonable at that slot. He was the #1 pick on most boards, #2 on the rest. We still don't know how much Joeckel's broken leg set back his career. Maybe he was worth it and only reached a shadow of his potential so far because of the injury.

I personally thought it was a mistake to draft a LT in 2013, it was one of the few positions where the Jags had a solid young starter (and yeah yeah, Monroe stinks with the Ravens, but he was the Jags best young player in 2012 besides Blackmon). Caldwell is not one to aggressively seek a trade down, but Miami traded up for the very next pick. IMO the Jags should have made that trade instead.

Its not 20/20 when the boards mock better than Caldwell drafts.
Sosa,  regarding the 2013 Draft,  while I have no idea if the Jaguars were even seriously interested in these players,   both CB Darius Slay ( Round 2 ) and G Larry Warford ( Round 3 ) when relatively healthy have outperformed many players on the list you provided.   Slay struggled as a rookie but was a top 20 NFL CB last season.   Warford shpuld have been Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2013 but Guards never win that award.  

As for Eric Ebron,  he's cleared improved from his rookie season.   But even earlier today,  the pick was criticized because the Lions passed up DT Aaron Donald.  Not to mention previous criticism for passing up Odell Beckham Jr. ,  among others. 

It usually takes at least into the 3rd season of a player before one really knows if the player is going to live up to his draft billing.   Sometimes,  it takes even longer. 

Quote:Sosa,  regarding the 2013 Draft,  while I have no idea if the Jaguars were even seriously interested in these players,   both CB Darius Slay ( Round 2 ) and G Larry Warford ( Round 3 ) when relatively healthy have outperformed many players on the list you provided.   Slay struggled as a rookie but was a top 20 NFL CB last season.   Warford shpuld have been Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2013 but Guards never win that award.  

As for Eric Ebron,  he's cleared improved from his rookie season.   But even earlier today,  the pick was criticized because the Lions passed up DT Aaron Donald.  Not to mention previous criticism for passing up Odell Beckham Jr. ,  among others. 

It usually takes at least into the 3rd season of a player before one really knows if the player is going to live up to his draft billing.   Sometimes,  it takes even longer. 
Yeah I knew I missed quite a bit of players, but these are just the top rated players that are well known. It was just to show some of the players we could've gotten instead.
It's all hindsight. And consider the slots we had in those two years. 2nd and 3rd overall choices right? Listen, if Caldwell got those selections wrong than so did the rest of the league and the scouting personnel across the board. All of those players were highly rated. Especially Joeckel and Cyprien the years they were taken respectively. They just haven't panned out. Nothing more, nothing less. Is it due to talent or coaching or lack of talent around them though? Those are the questions you also have to ask in fairness. And you can't say we could have had this player or that player because those very same players you're saying we missed on may or may not have been the player they are today if they were in our uniform and visce versa.

Quote:It's all hindsight. And consider the slots we had in those two years. 2nd and 3rd overall choices right? Listen, if Caldwell got those selections wrong than so did the rest of the league and the scouting personnel across the board. All of those players were highly rated. Especially Joeckel and Cyprien the years they were taken respectively. They just haven't panned out. Nothing more, nothing less. Is it due to talent or coaching or lack of talent around them though? Those are the questions you also have to ask in fairness. And you can't say we could have had this player or that player because those very same players you're saying we missed on may or may not have been the player they are today if they were in our uniform and visce versa.

No no, the narrative is that Caldwell can't draft. You can't have any other mitigating factors, you must remain on point.
True. LOL. I've tried avoiding the "what if" and "what could have been" theories for awhile now. It's a waste of time. Time doesn't go backwards, it only moves forward. With or without you. And for every scenario that people try to lay the ground work for you can have an argument or two that I've proposed that makes it even more of a challenge to think about.

But that's the right approach. It's similar to how to ESPN does that segment of The "IFL" based on the same scenarios Sosa came up with. They mentioned if Luck would have elected to come out of college his Jr. year that he may have ended up a Panther, etc. Or had Eli stayed in San Diego and Phillip Rivers stayed in New York, etc. My argument will always be that you can't ignore the very many variables that play a role in their development today.

For example. Would Luck be the same QB he is today in Indianapolis had he missed that extra year at Stanford and ended up a Panther instead? You can't really answer that. Because that's a HUGE variable that can't be overlooked. Maybe he has a certain drive and expectation that seldom gets mentioned about being the successor of Peyton Manning as a Colt. Would he be more laidback in Carolina, etc?