Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ramblings of a Hopeful Fan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[quote] This has been our vision,” Caldwell said. “We’re going to make mistakes. We have to continue to build, get better players and I think our coaching staff can lead us where we want to go.”

<p style="color:rgb(234,234,234);font-family:'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif;">Caldwell added that he didn’t expect significantly better results in his first two seasons, and that Jaguars Owner Shad Khan understood the situation from the beginning. He said the team was more competitive against playoff teams this season, an indication of on-field progress.

<p style="color:rgb(234,234,234);font-family:'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif;">“I didn’t have grandiose expectations in these first two years, to be quite honest with you,” Caldwell said. “We may have won more games than I anticipated when I first took the job over this two-year period.”

<p style="color:rgb(234,234,234);font-family:'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif;">Caldwell said he believed entering the season the Jaguars would have a chance to win between four and seven games this season.

<p style="color:rgb(234,234,234);font-family:'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif;">“I think we had that (chance),” he said. “We didn’t capitalize on some of the opportunities. The NFL’s a highly competitive league. I’m proud of the way our players played.”

Caldwell said he feels better about the roster than the record indicates. [quote]

As frustrated as I am I remember that 2012 roster. I know people get tired of hear that or think that is an excuse and say "But Caldwell has made this roster and its his people". I get all that but using perspective, I don't think Caldwell and Gus would have taken on the task of rebuilding this roster if they were not give ample time and a guarantee by Khan to stay for a while. This team was bad. Like really bad. Like outside of Daryl Smith nobody from that roster is is playing at a high level (Mathis is playing like a solid veteran). We are not talking about Caldwell and Gus inheriting Matt Ryan, Julio Jone, Roddy White like Dan Quinn did. This team had nothing in terms of game changers. Rex Ryan went to a team that has arguable a top 5 defense prior to his arrival. 

Again I know it's a dead horse and has been beaten to mush and fertilizer but the reality is anyone who is making any contribution right now has most likely been acquired in the last 2 years. That a bad sign for the level of talent that was here in the beginning. I think they need to play better and believe the team will play better and believe Gus will get the team together but with all the football I have watched; I have a hard time trying to think of a team as bad as the 2012 jags. Even those old Lions team had Barry Sanders. Maybe the early 2000 San Fran teams with Tim Rattay and all those street free agents. Thats as bad as this team was. 

Gus just came to a bad situation. I think the fact that these guys are even listening to him at this point is a testament to his ability as a coach. He is here to help stabilize the franchise. We cannot turn into a team that rotates coaches every year or two. Prior to Caldwell and Gus' arrival this team was headed into a spiral of irrelevance that had the potential to span a decade plus. These two are creating a new culture and a new roster. That takes time. The anxiety fans had about needing to win now because the team may leave should be over. This team is here to stay and Khan is in it for the long haul and so should we. 

Call me an apologist or a blind fan or whatever. The raider have been bad since 2002. Tampa has been bad since 2002. San Fran was bad for 10 plus years. We have to stop the spiral and then build. I believe these two will be the catalyst for this new era (as they already have). I think Khan sees the vision. He understand these things just don't happen over night. 

Fans who hate the losing are fully justified in their feelings. I hate it too. I want this team to win. But the talent just isn't their yet. I just ask to let the thing play out. It is week 2 of year 3. Maybe some of us need to temper expectations right now and look at this for what is really happening. A complete rebuilding of every thing that has been jaguars prior to Khan. I do see a light at the end of the tunnel. We are just still walking through the tunnel.