Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles Mechanics et al
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Disappointing loss yesterday, but it is only temporary.  I'm much more interested in Bortles development as a long term asset for this team.  I haven't watched the game in it's entirety, so how did Bortles mechanics look?  The few passes that I've seen in highlights look  pretty good with tight spirals and decent accuracy.  If he can maintain these corrections he implemented this offseason, and start to work on the mental side of his game (better progressions, eye discipline) then we can see the improvement we were all hoping for this season.  What did you see?

Quote:Disappointing loss yesterday, but it is only temporary. I'm much more interested in Bortles development as a long term asset for this team. I haven't watched the game in it's entirety, so how did Bortles mechanics look? The few passes that I've seen in highlights look pretty good with tight spirals and decent accuracy. If he can maintain these corrections he implemented this offseason, and start to work on the mental side of his game (better progressions, eye discipline) then we can see the improvement we were all hoping for this season. What did you see?

The only positive is Bortles is as clutch as Tom Brady with 2 minutes remaining. It's the other 28 he showed nothing.
He looked decent. He did telegraph a pick six though on an out route pass intended for Yeldon. To me, that was a mistake to begin with. Yeldon wasn't really running that route convincingly and I think Norman was able to see that early and that's why the ball went the other way. The 2nd INT wasn't really his fault. The ball was tipped and it honestly should have been called back after a blatant hands to the face call was missed by the refs on Sam Young. It was so blatant the commentators were in disbelief they missed it.

Outside of that. His numbers could have been better. Hurns, Robinson and Greene dropped some solid passes that could have potentially put his numbers over 250 and eliminated those INT's. The offensive line was yet again a concern giving up four sacks. And the receivers dropping passes were also another concern yet again that have clearly spilled over from the pre-season. He'll improve if they can improve around him. Bortles can't do it all on his on. Though he tries. With that said, it's not like Carolina has a slouch defense. But the pass protection MUST improve and the drops MUST go away for him to succeed. I know, it's common sense by now. But as far as his delivery, mechanics and release. He's good.

I disagree with you CS. He hit Greene inside the 5 yard line that was dropped on the money. He hit Robinson twice for 20+ yards that he dropped and killed our momentum with. Hurns also dropped a 30+ yard pass that killed a drive. His receivers dropped four passes in that game that could have resulted in another 70 -100 yards on the day with more plays for him to potentially score again. Outside of that ugly pick six he threw. He didn't look terrible. I am holding his pass blockers and receivers more accountable. And the play calling. Four bubble screens out of the slot? No tight-end plays down the seam?

Quote:I disagree with you CS. He hit Greene inside the 5 yard line that was dropped on the money. He hit Robinson twice for 20+ yards that he dropped and killed our momentum with. Hurns also dropped a 30+ yard pass that killed a drive. His receivers dropped four passes in that game that could have resulted in another 70 -100 yards on the day with more plays for him to potentially score again. Outside of that ugly pick six he threw. He didn't look terrible. I am holding his pass blockers and receivers more accountable. And the play calling. Four bubble screens out of the slot? No tight-end plays down the seam?

The 3 and outs and over throws concerned me. I think it was nerves. Then he caught his stride then our crappy WRs happened. I agree with you. The only good drive was that final 1 in the first half. IMO.
The pick 6 is the main reason I'm not happy with Bortles after this game.  He planned decent but these horrendous pick 6's at the worst times are becoming way to often.

The pick didn't bother me. Go back and look at week one. Virtually every elite QB threw a pick or two or a pick six outside of Brady and Rodgers. No one is perfect. He's going to make mistakes. I thought the play call was bad. Yeldon wasn't running that out route good enough and Norman has enough experience to see that. Terrible play call. Terrible decision. I still think if you eliminate the drops that INT may not even happen.

Quote:The pick didn't bother me. Go back and look at week one. Virtually every elite QB threw a pick or two or a pick six outside of Brady and Rodgers. No one is perfect. He's going to make mistakes. I thought the play call was bad. Yeldon wasn't running that out route good enough and Norman has enough experience to see that. Terrible play call. Terrible decision. I still think if you eliminate the drops that INT may not even happen.

And Olson's play calling. ..
Quote:Disappointing loss yesterday, but it is only temporary.  I'm much more interested in Bortles development as a long term asset for this team.  I haven't watched the game in it's entirety, so how did Bortles mechanics look?  The few passes that I've seen in highlights look  pretty good with tight spirals and decent accuracy.  If he can maintain these corrections he implemented this offseason, and start to work on the mental side of his game (better progressions, eye discipline) then we can see the improvement we were all hoping for this season.  What did you see?

Bortles has to be more accurate. I felt like he missed a lot of passes downfield but he also didn't get any help from his line and receivers. The final drive before half however gives he hope of what he could become.
Mechanics look much improved still.  He made his share of mistakes but he really needs our WRs to step up and also not have a revolving door at LT.

Quote:The pick didn't bother me. Go back and look at week one. Virtually every elite QB threw a pick or two or a pick six outside of Brady and Rodgers. No one is perfect. He's going to make mistakes. I thought the play call was bad. Yeldon wasn't running that out route good enough and Norman has enough experience to see that. Terrible play call. Terrible decision. I still think if you eliminate the drops that INT may not even happen.

I can't help but state that his is an understated aspect of week one play across the league that is being somewhat overlooked. I don't remember the last time there were so many pick sixes thrown in a single weekend of football. I swear it seemed like practically every game had one. I think the key here is that, while you're right about people making mistakes, our team simply isn't good enough to overcome them yet which automatically magnifies the severity of any given error exponentially.

I will say this...if we are forced to start Sam Young Doom of Samdos (for you Silmarillion fans out there) for any length of time at LT it is going to have very serious/negative consequences for us long term. I try not to hate on players....I know playing football isn't easy, but this guy has no business on an NFL roster. He's that bad and sadly, I really don't think help is on the way.

I'm tired of corners sitting on really short routes and we throw it anyways. Otherwise, I would have liked to see Blake take off a bit more it seemed there was plenty of room to run especially without Kueckly in the middle and we weren't able to even exploit that at all. Blake went into a shell late in the game and took a statue sack when he had plenty of time to get rid of the ball. Tough day.

Blake seemed to play well. The wideouts and Olsen did him no favors though 

Quote:The pick 6 is the main reason I'm not happy with Bortles after this game. He planned decent but these horrendous pick 6's at the worst times are becoming way to often.
I hear you on this but I'm a firm believer in those little out routes to the sideline like 2 yards deep is asking for a pick 6. You see it happen a lot. If the corner is playing press it's almost a guarantee walk in. I really want to see the stats on something like this. How often it works to how often it fails/pick 6.
Quote:I hear you on this but I'm a firm believer in those little out routes to the sideline like 2 yards deep is asking for a pick 6. You see it happen a lot. If the corner is playing press it's almost a guarantee walk in. I really want to see the stats on something like this. How often it works to how often it fails/pick 6.

An offense has to be able to throw behind defenses in order for the quick passes to work. Quick passes draw the DB's up and throws down the field back DB's off. They go hand in hand.

Because the Jags have nobody to get deep defenses will squat on everything short. Lee should be that guy but we all know what he's been about.
Quote:I hear you on this but I'm a firm believer in those little out routes to the sideline like 2 yards deep is asking for a pick 6. You see it happen a lot. If the corner is playing press it's almost a guarantee walk in. I really want to see the stats on something like this. How often it works to how often it fails/pick 6.

I said the same in another post. Between the play and the field position that should have never been called.

It reminded me of the constant pick-6 throws from Matt Schaub during his meltdown in houston.

Our very own Rashean Mathis has done this in the past against pitt. Asante samuel made a career out of it and ive almost never seen that route thrown against revis. Most decent OCs know its a death bell.
Quote:The only positive is Bortles is as clutch as Tom Brady with 2 minutes remaining. It's the other 28 he showed nothing.

I'm not sure I'd go that far....
Quote:I said the same in another post. Between the play and the field position that should have never been called.

It reminded me of the constant pick-6 throws from Matt Schaub during his meltdown in houston.

Our very own Rashean Mathis has done this in the past against pitt. Asante samuel made a career out of it and ive almost never seen that route thrown against revis. Most decent OCs know its a death bell.

Agreed, if the defender is playing press that route needs to be "hotted" to a out and up or a sluggo, you have to make defenders pay for being overly aggressive with double moves.
Quote:I disagree with you CS. He hit Greene inside the 5 yard line that was dropped on the money. He hit Robinson twice for 20+ yards that he dropped and killed our momentum with. Hurns also dropped a 30+ yard pass that killed a drive. His receivers dropped four passes in that game that could have resulted in another 70 -100 yards on the day with more plays for him to potentially score again. Outside of that ugly pick six he threw. He didn't look terrible. I am holding his pass blockers and receivers more accountable. And the play calling. Four bubble screens out of the slot? No tight-end plays down the seam?

Drops are gonna happen... The good ones dont suddenly stop taking shots downfield because of them. You gotta stay confident. That said, you have to start mixing in guys who can catch.
What's the sack breakdown, line analysts? How many did he walk into? I saw a couple. Who allowed what? Kindly specify. Thanks.
Pages: 1 2