Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: TEAL COLORED GLASSES AND TEAL KOOL-AIDE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

raweyejag

Jags only added two PROVEN NFL starters from last years 3-13 team. An 0-4 start this season should not be a surprise because of that. Could we win 1 or more of those 4 games sure...it happens every week in the NFL but not with all the basic football mistakes(missed assignments, missed tackles, missed blocks, penalties, turnovers, etc).This is the over exuberance that I have thought Jag fans continue to have especially those who feel strongly we can beat teams who have more experienced talent. Could we win absolutely, but Dolphins, Patriots, and Colts are better than Jags and continuing to make these basic mistakes will lead to a loss everytime unless opposing team makes more than Jags.

DC/GB agreed on a strategy and Kahn approved that strategy.The strategy was cutting many starting veterans before they were replaced by a younger player who was playing at least a level of an average NFL veteran. It is going to be difficult to be good quickly because you need a veteran presence to WIN while you are building. The NFL realized this after the 1976 NFL expansion, those two teams struggled for many years with a draft only model. The DC/GB strategy was more agressive than the Pete Carroll Seahawks model but it is now clear this will be a longer process than DC/DB thought after yesterdays game. I do not think they anticipated the level of basic football mistakes in game 1 of year 3. 

Jags are better but not as much as most thought we were. Being a fan means being honest about your team and not expecting more than what your roster can deliver. I don't know why anyone would expect anything more than 5 or 6 wins this year for a team with so few proven NFL starters on the roster. The players will improve and the wins will come but not this year. I have been a STH for 18 years and am not happy paying week after week year after year to see the basic football mistakes all throughout the game. However, I will not over react to the obvious unless Jags start to make mistakes like in the past during the GS/SH era.

Kahn is a wise business man as evident by 500 million/50% increase in his investment on NFL Jaguars in 2 1/2 years.http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

Even if team starts 0-4 IMO Kahn will continue to observe throughout the season before over reacting as we fans should too. Go Jags
I agree and this post makes too much sense. Surprised the pitchfork crew hasn't pooed all over yet!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Jacks...ars_season

The 2013 Roster at the start of GM Dave Caldwell & HC Gus Bradley's tenure in their third season.....

After three years you cant use the roster as an excuse (most teams dont gut the entire roster)

despite GM Gene messing things up, by the 3rd year with Cap not being a problem

the roster shouldnt be so bad as to not break .500

raweyejag

Quote:I agree and this post makes too much sense. Surprised the pitchfork crew hasn't pooed all over yet!

Yes I was surprised too maybe it made too much sense. Maybe they have not viewed it yet.
Quote:Yes I was surprised too maybe it made too much sense. Maybe they have not viewed it yet.

TL;DR is the usual answer. Those guys don't have the patience for such a post.
Oh you Troll how dare you question anything the Jags do all is well its just 1 game. They will be fine this week against the Dolphins I'm sure the offense will figure it out  :thumbsup:

Eagles have probably done just as much roster turnover as the Jaguars and I think it has turned out OK for them.  I think it was arrogant to think that they could just overturn the whole roster and throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Let's get rid of any player that can be useful to us in the hopes that we can find someone younger and better. 

Quote:I think it was arrogant to think that they could just overturn the whole roster and throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Arrogant? That's a new one.
Quote:TL;DR is the usual answer. Those guys don't have the patience for such a post.
I read it and have said similar things.  I'm not going to dismiss other fans that don't agree 100% with what I post.  This is a sports message board sometimes trolling is going to happen.

Please keep in mind that the fans aren't the ones pointing to year three.  This is not some magic year.  The 2013 draft, you know the one following the decision to blow up the team was talent starved.  What a great year to have top selections.  I think that putrid draft wipes out one of the seasons and instead of preaching more patience, the organization is rah rahing that this is the team they've been shooting for.... hardly.  This team has unproven talent and limited cohesion.

And I'll be honest I don't know if our LT has the feet to hold up to the NFL.  It would sure explain his inconsistent play.
Quote:Arrogant? That's a new one.

They decided to gut the roster like no other team had done before...get rid of EVERYONE, and think that they could completely overhaul it into something that wasn't crap?  Pretty arrogant.  No one else has done it this way...I'm smarter so I think I can.  Arrogance can be good if it works...problem is that it hasn't worked.  Now we just look like idiots.
Quote:Arrogant? That's a new one.

They picked a bad year to blow it up.  Poor draft year and no spending in free agency.  Kinda of destroyed year one.
Quote:They picked a bad year to blow it up.  Poor draft year and no spending in free agency.  Kinda of destroyed year one.

Here are the teams that had top 10 picks in 2013 (before trades)

Chiefs

Jaguars

Raiders

Eagles

Lions

Browns

Cardinals

Rams

Jets

Titans

You have some perennial cellar dwellers, but you also have multiple playoff teams.  You can't just throw out year 1 because of a bad draft class.  Every other team has the exact same talent pool to draw from.  It's an excuse that I'm getting tired of hearing.

raweyejag

FYI this post was in regards to a lot of people thinking we were going to be much better. What has happened has happened we are who we are. This can work but it will take longer like 1976 expansion. Bucs-4 years to go to playoffs and SeaHawks-8 years to make it to playoffs. Anyone who thinks Kahn is going to overreact when it has been proven to do it this way will take a minimum of 4 years. I actually would not be surprised if DC didn't actually talk about the 1976 expansion teams when interviewed. If you read between the lines Kahn has not indicated he is unhappy with process but he has said the obvious we need to win but their was no threat implied. IMO the team will continue to improve but I don't expect it to happen this year in the win column. DC will add more FA next year and there will be additional draft picks. Technically next year we will have 2 1st round picks because Dante Fowler will be back. IMO there will be expected improvement next year as long as they stop the basic football mistakes. Blake is better but he has to stop forcing things when even he knows the risk is not worth the chance, That is his competitive nature and I actually think he will decrease the mistakes as the year goes by. IMO Gus does need to go back to the SeaHawks Gus which is being more of a disciplinarian in his attitude when there are basic football mistakes.

All I heard when Gus and Caldwell arrived on this board was that 2015 was the year. This was said by many. Well so far not so good. Now people are saying 2016.
Quote:All I heard when Gus and Caldwell arrived on this board was that 2015 was the year. This was said by many. Well so far not so good. Now people are saying 2016.

Part of being a Jaguar. Always one year away.

raweyejag

Quote:All I heard when Gus and Caldwell arrived on this board was that 2015 was the year. This was said by many. Well so far not so good. Now people are saying 2016.

This forum doesn't make the decisions Kahn does and I don't recall him saying that or even saying anything last year about high expectations this year. His comment I believe was "do we need to win of course we need to win. But this team is better than last year and I it will continue to improve next year" paraphrased. Not for additional excuses because I only expect 6 wins this year but  2 starters on offence and 1 on defense Thomas, Marks and Lee out doesn't help either.
Yeah 2016 will be the year we clean house and repeat this same old rebuild process...
Quote:Yeah 2016 will be the year we clean house and repeat this same old rebuild process...

If it continues this downward trend it's more than likely.
Quote:Yeah 2016 will be the year we clean house and repeat this same old rebuild process...

Even if we finish Sub. 300 this year I don't think the roster is in need of a complete overhaul. Good coaches get the best out of the players they are given. Let a coach work with what we got and build off of it.
Week one. 

Premature as always.
Pages: 1 2