Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: RELAX, Don't do it! (tantrum)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
After one game into the season and a lot of fans want to throw in the towel.  I've been reading threads and polls about which head coach to hire after Gus is fired and whether or not to fire GM Dave Caldwell & the entire roster.  Are you kidding me?  It was one game the team could win all the rest and win the Super Bowl (not my prediction, but anything is possible).  To give up on your favorite team after only one game seems simply crazy to me.  Let us first reflect on the positives of the game (from the Jaguar fans perspective).

The total net yards of both teams

Carolina 263 to Jaguars 265

-----------------------------------------

breaking it down

Rushing yards

Carolina 105 Jaguars 96

(3.0 avg to Jaguars 4.6 avg per carry)

--------------------

Passing Yards

Carolina 158 to Jaguars 169

------------------

Kickoff return

Grant 1 for 40 yards, Panthers no returns

Panthers punted 4 to Jaguars 5

-------------------------

Both teams Red Zone Efficiency 33%

--------------------------

Both teams 50% on FGs (panthers kicked 4 to Jags 2)

------------------------------

Both TJ Yeldon & D-Rob looked good rushing and catching as a good duo combo

R. Greene displayed good hands and was able to get open with 7 catches & a touchdown.

Poz had an INT, Clemons had a sack, pd, and a fg blocked, Skuta with a sack as well.

================================

Now for the real reason the team lost....

Blake Bortles with a 54.5 QB rating, 2 INTS, 22/40 183 yards 1 TD.   WR Hurns with a fumble and a couple of drops, along with Robinson dropping too many targets failing to get open.

LT Young not holding up, bad play calling by the Refs, missed extra point took out some wind from the team along with missed Fgs.

It was tough to watch in the 2nd half.  I am not sure what Gus could've done other than bench Bortles after the INT which might have only made things worse by putting in Henne whom wouldve been sacked more often and wouldve hurt Bortles confidence.

It wasnt a perfect game but it wasnt the worst one we've seen in a few years.  Let us all calm down, relax.  Step away from the keyboard before posting negative comments about moving the team to london and firing everyone... and just breathe.

If we base everything off of one game you would think its the end of the world around here.

If we based everything off of one game the titans would be playoff bound, the Seahawks are headed to the bottom of the division, and Alex Smith would be the MVP.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...in-209-win

Conor Orr wrote

Gus Bradley's defense is the closest it has been to fitting an image reminiscent of the one in Seattle. On the first drive, backed up against their own goal line, the Jags received a big sack by Chris Clemons and a big pass breakup by Poz. Posluszny also had a demoralizing pick a few drives later midway through the second quarter, which should have led to points. If their offense can catch up, look out.

Quote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...in-209-win

Conor Orr wrote

Gus Bradley's defense is the closest it has been to fitting an image reminiscent of the one in Seattle. On the first drive, backed up against their own goal line, the Jags received a big sack by Chris Clemons and a big pass breakup by Poz. Posluszny also had a demoralizing pick a few drives later midway through the second quarter, which should have led to points. If their offense can catch up, look out.
Well that is encouraging I think we will be ok and bounce back but we need to show we can play If we constantly make mistakes we will beat ourselves every time.

we left a lot of points out there today
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000529227/article/defense-carries-panthers-past-jaguars-in-209-win'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000529227/article/defense-carries-panthers-past-jaguars-in-209-win</a>

Conor Orr wrote

You know this was a bad offense they were playing against, right?
Greene sustained a concussion and was not allowed to speak to the media in the locker room.

Aaron Colvin left the game with a shoulder injury and McCray came in his absence (and played poorly).

LT Luke Joeckel had a cast on his ankle and crutches, is schedule for MRI didn't look good (young struggled in his absence).

Not making excuses but it does explain a bit as to why the 2nd half was the way it was.

Quote:You know this was a bad offense they were playing against, right?
Wait, what makes you think that?  The Panthers finished with the 5th overall Offense this PreSeason?
Even last season I checked and the Panthers finished 16th overall in the NFL.  The Panthers Defense was never great, but their Offense is hard to contain.

The Jaguars Offense only converted 25% of the time on 3rd down, allowed five sacks, three turnovers (2 INTs one WR Hurns Fumble), Bortles had a 54 QB Rating, and they focused too much on throwing to rookie WR Greene instead of running the ball after the half.

The defense played way better than expected is currently ranked 5th in the NFL after playing Carolina (whom does have a better Offense than most have stated on here, not saying they are Denver but they werent the Jaguars Offense -- oh wait I hate to compare but lets face it the team needs to make serious Offensive changes before playing Miami)!

Quote:If we base everything off of one game you would think its the end of the world around here.

If we based everything off of one game the titans would be playoff bound, the Seahawks are headed to the bottom of the division, and Alex Smith would be the MVP.
You're right, its only week 1, but it's been more then just "one game" of this for the Jags.  7-25 over Gus Bradley's time here.  Sunday looked like more of the same, a team that was sloppy and couldn't get out of it's own way, the improvement isn't as drastic as it should be in year 3 when the head coach says "we're built".  This is why fans are disgruntled.

For the Seahawks it's just one game, they've proven themselves.  The Jags haven't done that yet. 
It was good play and bad play. Dropped passes by trying to catch with their pads and not hands. Run game looked good but they seemed to stop running after halftime. We need to figure something out at left tackle or that's gonna be a problem all season. Not only against Hou. D played good even with alot of guys out. Missed FG hurt and then missed extra point. The game was even as far as stats. I was proud but we all know that there is always a time in the game when we just start losing and we don't get it back. It felt that way when it turned 10-9 and then pick 6 sealed the deal. That is what makes us mad the most. We all know that moment b/c it's been that way for a long time. We have got to change that moment or it will be a wasted season again. Then everybody will want some people gone.  

I'm reminded of the saying, "There's lies, damn lies, and statistics."  You can make stats say anything.  The problem is that the eye test they weren't that close. 

Quote:I'm reminded of the saying, "There's lies, damn lies, and statistics."  You can make stats say anything.  The problem is that the eye test they weren't that close. 
Put me in this camp.  The eye test said garbage and the Panthers left more points on the field compared to the Jaguars.
Quote:Greene sustained a concussion and was not allowed to speak to the media in the locker room.

Aaron Colvin left the game with a shoulder injury and McCray came in his absence (and played poorly).

LT Luke Joeckel had a cast on his ankle and crutches, is schedule for MRI didn't look good (young struggled in his absence).

Not making excuses but it does explain a bit as to why the 2nd half was the way it was.

That play where Greene sustained the concussion was garbage and I couldn't believe it when he made that throw.  The Panther defense was taking off lineman's helmets and jumping routes and that was a play call?  They got the kid killed.
I think Yeldon and the defense are both huge bright spots for this team. I actually think we stand a lot against Miami but Bortles and the receivers have to play a lot better.

Quote:I think Yeldon and the defense are both huge bright spots for this team. I actually think we stand a lot against Miami but Bortles and the receivers have to play a lot better.

I don't know about huge but it is something...

The one thing I'm still trying to reconcile/figure out is why did we abandon the run so soon. Among everything else that contributed to this trainwreck of a showing, I personally think this was likely the most harmful. There is no justifiable reason, at this point in time, that BB should be throwing the ball 40 times per game imo. 
Quote: 

The one thing I'm still trying to reconcile/figure out is why did we abandon the run so soon.

It was strange, they had the most success when they were able to set up the pass with the run.

Carolina's best defensive player goes out & suddenly the Jags get pass happy.  But they don't push the ball down the field, they go to screens and short passes, basically runs.  Why not just run it?  Instead, they make Sam Young pass block. 
The Panthers were in the tank and looked pretty bad that was our only saving grace in this game. The fact that we couldn't capitalize on their ineptitude really brought on that same feeling of helpless doubt that became all too familiar since about 4 years ago.

Quote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...in-209-win

Conor Orr wrote

The defense SHOULD continue to improve as they get healthy on that side of the ball.  Not having a healthy Marks out there hurts this defense significantly. 

Quote:I don't know about huge but it is something...

The one thing I'm still trying to reconcile/figure out is why did we abandon the run so soon. Among everything else that contributed to this trainwreck of a showing, I personally think this was likely the most harmful. There is no justifiable reason, at this point in time, that BB should be throwing the ball 40 times per game imo. 

The mantra all off season as that they were going to bring balance to the offense.  It almost looked like someone swapped play books from the preseason, and we were calling Jed Fisch's plays yesterday.  No TE involvement at all, and we ditched the run when the Panthers best defensive player went out with an injury.  Made zero sense.

Quote:That play where Greene sustained the concussion was garbage and I couldn't believe it when he made that throw.  The Panther defense was taking off lineman's helmets and jumping routes and that was a play call?  They got the kid killed.

Bortles hung a couple of guys out with some of his passes yesterday, and I think he had it in for Greene because there were at least 2 passes including the one that he got hurt on where he was put unnecessarily into harms way. 

Honestly, the play calling yesterday on the offense reverted.  We thought we were just getting a vanilla play book in the preseason, and that they'd open things up from a much better looking offense in the meaningless games, and instead we were treated to what you'd expect to see in the first practice game of the year.  It was bizarre.
Quote:It was good play and bad play. Dropped passes by trying to catch with their pads and not hands. Run game looked good but they seemed to stop running after halftime. We need to figure something out at left tackle or that's gonna be a problem all season. Not only against Hou. D played good even with alot of guys out. Missed FG hurt and then missed extra point. The game was even as far as stats. I was proud but we all know that there is always a time in the game when we just start losing and we don't get it back. It felt that way when it turned 10-9 and then pick 6 sealed the deal. That is what makes us mad the most. We all know that moment b/c it's been that way for a long time. We have got to change that moment or it will be a wasted season again. Then everybody will want some people gone.  
The way the play calling was adjusted for the 2nd half, you would have thought the team was down by 3 scores.
Pages: 1 2 3 4