Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dish Network Wireline DSL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone have experience with this? I'm looking to move and the new house only has access through them. They offer a 40 Mbps download with a 5 Mbps upload which should be fine.

We use Netflix a lot and I game online a lot as well, by the numbers it seems like it should be fine, but I've never had DSL before.
My ex GF had DSL's
Quote:My ex GF had DSL's

Dick sucking lips?
This is why we don't want to be seen with your guys in public.
Quote:Anyone have experience with this? I'm looking to move and the new house only has access through them. They offer a 40 Mbps download with a 5 Mbps upload which should be fine.

We use Netflix a lot and I game online a lot as well, by the numbers it seems like it should be fine, but I've never had DSL before.

This is the first time I've heard of it.  40 mbps would be finefor Netflix, but if it's over satellite you may have issues with games.   And I doubt you'll actually get 40mbps speed.  Their webpage says $59.99 a month, but there is an asterisk and virtually no information on the plan.  My guess is it's the asterisk of death (modem fees, introductory prices, mandatory bundling, taxes, animal sacrifice ...).  Then you have to worry about data limits.  The truth is these companies don't want you using Netflix.  They want you on their TV service and offer you side internet so you can look at the occasional cat pic.  This is their ideal customer. It all sounds sketchy to me. 
Quote:This is the first time I've heard of it.  40 mbps would be finefor Netflix, but if it's over satellite you may have issues with games.   And I doubt you'll actually get 40mbps speed.  Their webpage says $59.99 a month, but there is an asterisk and virtually no information on the plan.  My guess is it's the asterisk of death (modem fees, introductory prices, mandatory bundling, taxes, animal sacrifice ...).  Then you have to worry about data limits.  The truth is these companies don't want you using Netflix
.  They want you on their TV service and offer you side internet so you can look at the occasional cat pic.  This is their ideal customer. It all sounds sketchy to me. 
Not true! Dish paid my netflix for an entire year when I came back to them
Quote:Not true! Dish paid my netflix for an entire year when I came back to them

Do you have their tv service?  

Either way, I honestly never had satellite, so I don't have a clue.  But the reality is that satellite companies are designed for television.  That's how they make their money.  It's the same thing with cable companies, who actually are more capable of offering internet.  If you pay for internet + tv they make more money than if you just pay for internet and use Netflix on the side.  Simple math.  If you have their TV service, they likely don't care if you use Netflix, even if you never watch the tv service at all.   So you're right about that.  But the problem is that Netflix is a driving force behind them losing tv customers.
Yeah, after seeing the house in person, they are able to get BVU Optinet which is offered through the local utility company. The electric companies here offer tv, internet, and phone service which is weird but convenient.

Optinet is a normal cable ISP like Brighthouse, Comcast, etc. So I'll be going with them. Their $60 plan is 150 down, 20 up which would be great.
Quote:Yeah, after seeing the house in person, they are able to get BVU Optinet which is offered through the local utility company. The electric companies here offer tv, internet, and phone service which is weird but convenient.

Optinet is a normal cable ISP like Brighthouse, Comcast, etc. So I'll be going with them. Their $60 plan is 150 down, 20 up which would be great.

Damn that's a lot better than what I get for $80 lol
Can I borrow some of that internet speed.
Quote:Do you have their tv service?  

Either way, I honestly never had satellite, so I don't have a clue.  But the reality is that satellite companies are designed for television.  That's how they make their money.  It's the same thing with cable companies, who actually are more capable of offering internet.  If you pay for internet + tv they make more money than if you just pay for internet and use Netflix on the side.  Simple math.  If you have their TV service, they likely don't care if you use Netflix, even if you never watch the tv service at all.   So you're right about that.  But the problem is that Netflix is a driving force behind them losing tv customers.
Yes I had their service for a few years then we discontinued using Dish for a few months and when we went back to them they paid my netflix for 12 months...

" ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH today became the first major pay-TV provider in the U.S. to integrate the Netflix app into its set-top box. Available on DISH’s second-generation Hopper, the app gives customers the ability to instantly stream Netflix movies and TV shows, including “House of Cards” and “Orange is the New Black,” from the same platform used to access their linear television channels. The Netflix app will rollout to DISH customers throughout the day." http://about.dish.com/press-release/prod...te-netflix
Just saw a commercial on TV that Comcast has Gig speed coming soon..
Quote:Just saw a commercial on TV that Comcast has Gig speed coming soon..
faster than computers can handle probably 
Quote:faster than computers can handle probably

I have no idea what I have now. I have Blast internet from comcast and it's pretty fast for my standards.. I mean, it loads video and pages quicker than a blink.. I can't understand why faster than that is so beneficial
Quote:Yes I had their service for a few years then we discontinued using Dish for a few months and when we went back to them they paid my netflix for 12 months...

" ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH today became the first major pay-TV provider in the U.S. to integrate the Netflix app into its set-top box. Available on DISH’s second-generation Hopper, the app gives customers the ability to instantly stream Netflix movies and TV shows, including “House of Cards” and “Orange is the New Black,” from the same platform used to access their linear television channels. The Netflix app will rollout to DISH customers throughout the day." http://about.dish.com/press-release/prod...te-netflix

That's interesting.  It's almost like they integrated Netflix into their on demand service.  I guess it's a way to retain customers who prefer Netflix over traditional pay tv.
Quote:That's interesting.  It's almost like they integrated Netflix into their on demand service.  I guess it's a way to retain customers who prefer Netflix over traditional pay tv.
I think they realized the potential of netflix and decided to integrate it into their system...Once people get through with the free one year of netflix then they just pay their netflix through dish, and use dish's equipment...I wouldn't be surprised if they are getting some kind of kick back...Maybe they will go into partnership
Quote:Just saw a commercial on TV that Comcast has Gig speed coming soon..

BVU offers a gig.

1gig down/50 up for $270. Ridiculous.

I currently pay $50 for 60/5 and get about 64/6

[Image: Screenshot_20170222_183710.png]
Quote:I have no idea what I have now. I have Blast internet from comcast and it's pretty fast for my standards.. I mean, it loads video and pages quicker than a blink.. I can't understand why faster than that is so beneficial

Faster upload is essential for gaming, video chatting, etc. Generally most people won't need above 5, but I have multiple devices connected at all times so I prefer a higher upload package
Chances are you won't see gig Internet for a few years.
Quote:Chances are you won't see gig Internet for a few years.

It's available now...
Pages: 1 2