Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: We're Number 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Finally, first at something.

Not surprising.  About a week ago I almost hit a young black male wearing dark clothing walking in the street in my neighborhood in the very early morning hours.  If I had not been awake and alert I could have easily hit him.  Mind you, it was dark outside and there was some fog, but he wasn't even walking on the side of the road, he was walking in a vehicle travel lane.

I have also seen people walking on the pavement on Roosevelt Blvd. (U.S. 17) near NAS Jax.  Granted the area doesn't have sidewalks, but there is plenty of grass area for walking on both sides of the road.

Quote:Not surprising. About a week ago I almost hit a young black male wearing dark clothing walking in the street in my neighborhood in the very early morning hours. If I had not been awake and alert I could have easily hit him. Mind you, it was dark outside and there was some fog, but he wasn't even walking on the side of the road, he was walking in a vehicle travel lane.

I have also seen people walking on the pavement on Roosevelt Blvd. (U.S. 17) near NAS Jax. Granted the area doesn't have sidewalks, but there is plenty of grass area for walking on both sides of the road.

It isn't always the pedestrian. I can't tell you how many times I've almost been hit in the morning by someone in a hurry to get somewhere and not paying attention.
I see people crossing Beach Blvd in the area west of the 295 junction very frequently.  

They'll cross 8 lanes of traffic (sometimes with kids/strollers) with no attempt to use the crosswalks at the intersections that are often within 100 yards of them.  
Quote:It isn't always the pedestrian. I can't tell you how many times I've almost been hit in the morning by someone in a hurry to get somewhere and not paying attention.

True, but the pedestrian is also a factor when it comes to the problem.  Where people choose to walk is one thing.  My guess is that another part of the problem is that people are too distracted.  That goes for drivers and walkers.

The bottom line is, PUT THE DAMN PHONE DOWN!  I watched a stupid girl go up over a curb because she wasn't paying attention to her primary task (driving) and was looking at her cell phone.  I watched as her car drifted right just enough to catch a curb around and entrance/exit area of a parking lot.  It blew her tire out and bent the rim on her car.  Luckily she wasn't going fast enough to make it to the sidewalk.  I stopped to she if she was alright, and her main concern was texting about her "accident".  I just left her there to figure out her problem on her own.

Here's an interesting experiment.  When you stop at a red light, look around and count the number of people on their cell phones.  They're pretty easy to see and pick out.  If you're in an area with a bunch of pedestrians, count the number of them that are looking at their cell phones rather than watching where they are going.

The girl that I watched screw up her car was in a supposedly "safe zone" since it was on a military base and the speed limit was "only" 35 MPH.

Just guessing, I would bet that at least half of pedestrian deaths are because of idiot people on their phones either driving or walking and not paying attention.
Quote:True, but the pedestrian is also a factor when it comes to the problem. Where people choose to walk is one thing. My guess is that another part of the problem is that people are too distracted. That goes for drivers and walkers.

The bottom line is, PUT THE DAMN PHONE DOWN! I watched a stupid girl go up over a curb because she wasn't paying attention to her primary task (driving) and was looking at her cell phone. I watched as her car drifted right just enough to catch a curb around and entrance/exit area of a parking lot. It blew her tire out and bent the rim on her car. Luckily she wasn't going fast enough to make it to the sidewalk. I stopped to she if she was alright, and her main concern was texting about her "accident". I just left her there to figure out her problem on her own.

Here's an interesting experiment. When you stop at a red light, look around and count the number of people on their cell phones. They're pretty easy to see and pick out. If you're in an area with a bunch of pedestrians, count the number of them that are looking at their cell phones rather than watching where they are going.

The girl that I watched screw up her car was in a supposedly "safe zone" since it was on a military base and the speed limit was "only" 35 MPH.

Just guessing, I would bet that at least half of pedestrian deaths are because of idiot people on their phones either driving or walking and not paying attention.

She probably took a selfie with the tire and posted it on Facebook before you were out of sight.
Hey..

You're Welcome.
Quote:She probably took a selfie with the tire and posted it on Facebook before you were out of sight.

Facebook is for old people there gramps.
Quote:Facebook is for old people there gramps.

Really? I don't do social media so I have no idea what is trending nowadays.
I never want to leave my house.

Thanks, message board.