Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 6,500 jobs in North Carolina. Privileged Americans don't want them. Bring the jobs back!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...57c1e29ebc

That data is interesting, because it describes the labor market before any immigrant workers are recruited. That, as Clemens says, "allows us to assess the willingness of native workers to take farm jobs before they can even be offered to foreign workers, meaning that this study does not miss any impact caused by people who self-select out of an area or occupation because of competition with foreign workers."

That willingness, he finds, is basically nonexistent. Every year from 1998 to 2012, at least 130,000 North Carolinians were unemployed. Of those, the number who asked to be referred to NCGA was never above 268 (and that number was only reached in 2011, when 489,095 North Carolinians were unemployed). The share of unemployed asking for referrals never breached 0.09 percent.
Yeah, hungry people will work though.
Eat the poor!

Quote:Eat the poor!

The best social program ever devised is a job.
Quote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...57c1e29ebc

That data is interesting, because it describes the labor market before any immigrant workers are recruited. That, as Clemens says, "allows us to assess the willingness of native workers to take farm jobs before they can even be offered to foreign workers, meaning that this study does not miss any impact caused by people who self-select out of an area or occupation because of competition with foreign workers."

That willingness, he finds, is basically nonexistent. Every year from 1998 to 2012, at least 130,000 North Carolinians were unemployed. Of those, the number who asked to be referred to NCGA was never above 268 (and that number was only reached in 2011, when 489,095 North Carolinians were unemployed). The share of unemployed asking for referrals never breached 0.09 percent.

Are you really that clueless? Sure, US citizens won't take farm jobs at the sub-minimum wage pay level illegals get. The problem is not that citizens won't do the work, it's that illegals are drastically lowering the wage scale.

Quote:Are you really that clueless? Sure, US citizens won't take farm jobs at the sub-minimum wage pay level illegals get. The problem is not that citizens won't do the work, it's that illegals are drastically lowering the wage scale.
THIS^^ in farm work anyway... 
Harvesting tobacco was a perennial source of work for local men in Kentucky. It is now completely reliant upon migrant labor. It was paid as piece work, and probably still is, but most likely at a much cheaper scale.

The same goes for cutting black cane out of milo fields in Kansas. I earned good money as a boy doing that. I don't know this for a fact, but I bet it's all migrant labor now.

Who do you think was doing these jobs before immigration stopped being enforced? Cheap migrant labor has completely undercut local work forces.
Also the new laws about not letting children do farm work. 

Quote:Also the new laws about not letting children do farm work.

If conservatives had their way we'd still have separate but equal everything.
Quote:If conservatives had their way we'd still have separate but equal everything.

You're 3/5ths right.
Quote:Harvesting tobacco was a perennial source of work for local men in Kentucky. It is now completely reliant upon migrant labor. It was paid as piece work, and probably still is, but most likely at a much cheaper scale.

The same goes for cutting black cane out of milo fields in Kansas. I earned good money as a boy doing that. I don't know this for a fact, but I bet it's all migrant labor now.

Who do you think was doing these jobs before immigration stopped being enforced? Cheap migrant labor has completely undercut local work forces.

Before cheap migrant labor, it was cheap slave labor. The former is propping up major areas of the American economy, the latter laid the ground work. Let's not pretend cheap labor hasn't been an integral part of the American story.
Quote:Before cheap migrant labor, it was cheap slave labor. The former is propping up major areas of the American economy, the latter laid the ground work. Let's not pretend cheap labor hasn't been an integral part of the American story.
actually farming was a family thing...farmers had lots of kids who helped in the fields...as farmers started having less kids or kids went to school, they began to farm less acres...then the teenage kids all needed summer jobs and they worked the farms and did the picking and hard work including bucking hay which I have done many times( going through the fields after the hay was cut dried and bailed and throwing the bales on either a truck or trailer and taken to a certain place and made a haystack)...as towns grew bigger there were more jobs for teenage kids to do, fast food, grocery store baggers etc so there became a shortage of farm workers...The teenagers weren't paid much to begin with but that's pretty much what the standard was for the market and the "seasonal workers came" and were more than happy to be paid 50 cents per bale of hay they bucked or row of beets they thinned...They were making more money doing that than were in Mexico and still do...IDK what the pay is now but both sides of my grandparents were farmers 

Quote:Before cheap migrant labor, it was cheap slave labor. The former is propping up major areas of the American economy, the latter laid the ground work. Let's not pretend cheap labor hasn't been an integral part of the American story.

So all those Kentucky rednecks out there harvesting tobacco were slaves? I guess that makes me and all the other kids chopping cane in milo fields slaves too. Huh. I learn something new everyday. 
Quote:So all those Kentucky rednecks out there harvesting tobacco were slaves? I guess that makes me and all the other kids chopping cane in milo fields slaves too. Huh. I learn something new everyday.

Deport them so you can get your job back.
Where I currently live in TN has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state. It was one of the few areas that decreased in population from 2000 to 2010. It used to be a huge tobacco farming area 30+ years ago. The smoke sheds are still up. I am glad tabacco isn't what it used to be in this country, but no doubt that its loss has hurt Americans.

Quote:Deport them so you can get your job back.

You're making absolutely no sense.
Quote:You're making absolutely no sense.

Business as usual.
Quote:You're making absolutely no sense.
Does he ever? I have yet to read a single coherent statement from him to this day.
Quote:So all those Kentucky rednecks out there harvesting tobacco were slaves? I guess that makes me and all the other kids chopping cane in milo fields slaves too. Huh. I learn something new everyday. 

I bailed hay for $2.00 an hour.  Maybe we can get reparations?
Ain't a damn thing wrong with us Rednecks..
Pages: 1 2