Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: BREAKING NEWS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Carson Tinker signs 4 year extension. Can you say..........CHAMPIONSHIP
Guess they felt like tinkering with his contract now instead of later.

Is a dedicated long snapper truly worth a roster spot?

Quote:Is a dedicated long snapper truly worth a roster spot?

What team doesn't have one?
irrelevant addition.... there will be no punting of FG's this year... only TD's!!!!

Yes.

[Image: 827771717.gif]
Well, when you had the money on the table for Aldon you gotta use it somewhere when he rejected it.

Cool, I like his name.

Carson Tinker= tinker on cars.....SEE WHAT I DID THAR?!? I'M ON FIIIYAAAAHHHH
The less football publicity a Long Snapper gets, the better..  Other than when they sign a new contract,   the only time they usually get publicity for their play is when they screw up a snap.

When you don't have one, it is really noticeable.
We should've signed that ex-military guy so we could fill the stands and get people to games. Maybe even sign Tebow for a side-line decoration... He could interact with fans during the game and sign footballs!

Quote:We should've signed that ex-military guy so we could fill the stands and get people to games. Maybe even sign Tebow for a side-line decoration... He could interact with fans during the game and sign footballs!

Wouldn't that devalue the football?
Quote:Wouldn't that devalue the football?
You're right, no signing footballs. Just throw them into the crowd, and everyone has a fair chance to catch it with how wild his throws are.
Wonder if he gets on a billboard now like Zelenka did.

Quote:Wonder if he gets on a billboard now like Zelenka did.
Joey Z wasn't just a long snapper. I'm not sure if you knew this, but he was kind of a big deal
A good one is. David Binn played for the Chargers for 16 years and Zak DeOssie is going on 8 years for the Giants.

As a Bama guy, and knowing Tinker's story, it's been a small highlight each year to see he's still "the guy" at the least thought-of position. While it is comical that LS is still a dedicated position for most teams after all these years and the evolution of football, I couldn't be happier for him. Just one of those good people who's worked hard for everything. If you don't know his story regarding Tuscaloosa's tornado a few years back, look it up.

Quote:What team doesn't have one?

A few teams have players at other positions who also longsnap for their team. I don't know of any particular teams this year where this is the case, but over the past decade I've heard of this being the case.

Most teams also have a player at some other position who they can utilize as an emergency longsnapper just in case. I don't know who might hold this role for the Jaguars, but back in the day Double D was the Jaguars emergency longsnapper.

Quote:Joey Z wasn't just a long snapper. I'm not sure if you knew this, but he was kind of a big deal

Joey Z was also listed at TE, but I don't recall ever seeing him take a snap as a TE. That said, he was a Special Teams stud in more ways than one. I'm thining he played in all the units in some capacity.