Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Documentaries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just did some binging on NetFlix Documentaries

Excellent 

Auschwitz - The Nazis and the Final Solution 

A Propaganda Game - North Korea

Hiroshima - WW II first atomic bomb

Last Days Vietnam

Have any of you seen any of the above documentaries?  Pretty impactful.

I'm currently watching "The Untold History of the USA" series.

I'll put those on the list though, been on a big war documentary buzz the last few weeks.

Planet Earth II is rockin pretty hard.
Planet Earth II is really good. 

For history buffs, I saw a wonderful documentary called "After Hitler."   It was all about what happened in Europe in the 2 years following the surrender of the Nazis.   Really eye-opening.   Most people just think, hey, we won the war!  Peace!  But actually, there was a lot of ethnic cleansing and revenge killing.   This documentary pulled no punches. 

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YjchArg_CQ

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEK-klq7l6g
Quote:Planet Earth II is really good. 

For history buffs, I saw a wonderful documentary called "After Hitler."   It was all about what happened in Europe in the 2 years following the surrender of the Nazis.   Really eye-opening.   Most people just think, hey, we won the war!  Peace!  But actually, there was a lot of ethnic cleansing and revenge killing.   This documentary pulled no punches. 

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YjchArg_CQ

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEK-klq7l6g

I saw part of this when it was broadcast. The scene showing the line of German immigrants along a road in Czechoslovakia being shot down and then driven over with a truck was pretty disturbing. I knew there was bitter animosity towards Germans after the war, but I didn't realize it rose to this level.
Quote:I saw part of this when it was broadcast. The scene showing the line of German immigrants along a road in Czechoslovakia being shot down and then driven over with a truck was pretty disturbing. I knew there was bitter animosity towards Germans after the war, but I didn't realize it rose to this level.

This is why I laugh when people compare Iraq and its aftermath to "how easy it was" after WW2. It was painful, bloody, expensive and long lasting.
Something many people don't know is that American space launches (current commercial enterprises excepted) have relied heavily, and still do, on Russian rocket engines since the 90s. Here is a fascinating documentary about it.

Btw, I've stated on here before that the Brits make the best documentaries, and preeminent among all documentarians is James Burke.

I watched a miniseries called The Heavy Water War on Netflix a couple of weeks back. Evidently during WW2 the Germans tasked some scientists to make uranium in order to build an atom bomb. Two groups of Norwegians were sent in to destroy the plant that was producing heavy water, or D2O, for the production of uranium. If it hadn't been for them the world would be a very different place. Fascinating stuff.
Quote:I watched a miniseries called The Heavy Water War on Netflix a couple of weeks back. Evidently during WW2 the Germans tasked some scientists to make uranium in order to build an atom bomb. Two groups of Norwegians were sent in to destroy the plant that was producing heavy water, or D2O, for the production of uranium. If it hadn't been for them the world would be a very different place. Fascinating stuff.

Did they mention the supply pod that was hidden by a local Norwegian until the mid-70s? That always fascinated me and I was hoping to see it when I was a kid.
Quote:Did they mention the supply pod that was hidden by a local Norwegian until the mid-70s? That always fascinated me and I was hoping to see it when I was a kid.
I don't believe so but I was having to read subtitles while watching the movie, and because it was a series with Norwegians and Germans I was reading a lot of subtitles while hearing two different languages. I was always glad with the scenes with the Brits who were helping the Norwegians because then everyone was speaking english. Lol. 
Quote:I don't believe so but I was having to read subtitles while watching the movie, and because it was a series with Norwegians and Germans I was reading a lot of subtitles while hearing two different languages. I was always glad with the scenes with the Brits who were helping the Norwegians because then everyone was speaking english. Lol.

Well, something akin to English anyway!
Hoop Dreams is still a favorite documentary of mine.

Some good ones listed on here. I am a big fan of a good documentary.

Quote:Well, something akin to English anyway!

Indeed. Lol