Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 30 Cadets are injured in a West Point "Pillow Fight".
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

http://news.yahoo.com/30-military-cadets...55865.html

...And to think that these are our next generation of military "leaders"...

They've been doing this for years no big deal.
Quote:They've been doing this for years no big deal.
They have been having the pillow fight for years but to the best of my knowledge they have not loaded the cases with heavy objects in the past.  What were they thinking?

Quote:They have been having the pillow fight for years but to the best of my knowledge they have not loaded the cases with heavy objects in the past.  What were they thinking?
It seems that the academies nowadays are only vetting for cadets that can contribute to their sports teams; and not necessarily for intelligence, or leadership potential. The military would be better off filling in their officer corps with enlisted personnel, who have proven combat and leadership experience, and not with young 21 year old's fresh out of college. Education is, and should be very important when it comes to officership, but it shouldn't be the only factor. Heck, George Washington never even went to college, and George Patton was a terrible student academically, but they made up for it with their charisma, and ability to lead others into battle.
Quote:It seems that the academies nowadays are only vetting for cadets that can contribute to their sports teams; and not necessarily for intelligence, or leadership potential. The military would be better off filling in their officer corps with enlisted personnel, who have proven combat and leadership experience, and not with young 21 year old's fresh out of college. Education is, and should be very important when it comes to officership, but it shouldn't be the only factor. Heck, George Washington never even went to college, and George Patton was a terrible student academically, but they made up for it with their charisma, and ability to lead others into battle.

Actually, having worked with and/or served with both academy grads as well as officers that graduated from a traditional college, I can honestly say that academy grads (from any service) are pretty much dumber than those officers that came from a traditional school.  That doesn't say much on the surface until you actually have to work with these kids.
Quote:Actually, having worked with and/or served with both academy grads as well as officers that graduated from a traditional college, I can honestly say that academy grads (from any service) are pretty much dumber than those officers that came from a traditional school.  That doesn't say much on the surface until you actually have to work with these kids.
I don't think dumber is the word you are looking for.  Worldly IMO is a better option.  You have to be extremely intelligent to get into any of the academy's and have a senator in your daddy's back pocket.  My experience was they were lacking in common sense.
that explains a lot......

[Image: last_stand.jpg]

Something tells me the injured cadets will never live it down.

Quote:I don't think dumber is the word you are looking for.  Worldly IMO is a better option.  You have to be extremely intelligent to get into any of the academy's and have a senator in your daddy's back pocket.  My experience was they were lacking in common sense.

Actually, my use of the term "dumb" is my "nice way" of saying stupid.
Quote:Something tells me the injured cadets will never live it down.

They'll be fine.  Today's PC military is not what it was a few years ago.
Quote:They'll be fine.  Today's PC military is not what it was a few years ago.

Which was what, homophobic and misogynistic?

Quote:Which was what, homophobic and misogynistic?
It must be tiring carrying around all that hate.
Quote:It must be tiring carrying around all that hate.

What does hate have to do with it?
Don't ask don't tell.
Quote:Don't ask don't tell.
Why?
Quote:Why?

Thems the rules.
Quote:Thems the rules.
The correct answer would have been, "Not telling," but I'll accept that as well.
Quote:They have been having the pillow fight for years but to the best of my knowledge they have not loaded the cases with heavy objects in the past. What were they thinking?

No if you do some googling you can find they've been loading soap bars and hard objects in pillow cases for a while it was on a documentary a few years back
Quote:Actually, having worked with and/or served with both academy grads as well as officers that graduated from a traditional college, I can honestly say that academy grads (from any service) are pretty much dumber than those officers that came from a traditional school.  That doesn't say much on the surface until you actually have to work with these kids.

I can honestly state that the O-4 Academy grad that I worked under made, on a consistent basis, the dumbest decisions I have witnessed. Also, the few people that I knew that got accepted into the Service Academies were not what I would refer to as "savvy". I'm not saying that they are all like that, but that has been my experience.
Quote:I can honestly state that the O-4 Academy grad that I worked under made, on a consistent basis, the dumbest decisions I have witnessed. Also, the few people that I knew that got accepted into the Service Academies were not what I would refer to as "savvy". I'm not saying that they are all like that, but that has been my experience.
Anyone smart enough to be a great soldier is also smart enough not to join the military.