Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles' Week 3 performance grades out as A-...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...according to Bucky Brooks, NFL.Com analyst (and former Jaguars scout).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-dominates

In relevant part...

Quote: 

<b>GRADE: A-</b>

<i><b>Strengths:</b></i> Bortles is an athletic quarterback with impressive physical tools. He has the arm talent and range to capably make every throw in the book. Most impressively, Bortles has shown better accuracy and ball placement with his throws at intermediate and deep range, as confirmed with his feathery 13-yard touch-pass to Allen Hurns for a touchdown against the Lions on Friday. With Bortles also improving his timing and anticipation on several intermediate throws (check out a few of his tosses to Marcedes Lewis, Nic Jacobs and Clay Harbor on seam routes), the Jaguars should feel good about the progress of the second-year pro.

<i><b>Weaknesses:</b></i> Bortles, who was plagued by turnovers as a rookie (17 picks, one fumble lost), remains a work in progress as a decision maker. He didn't put the ball in harm's way against the Lions, but ball security is an issue he must manage for the Jaguars to improve in 2015.

<i><b>What he needs to work on:</b></i> Bortles has improved dramatically as a playmaker and leader for the Jaguars. He appears to have learned the importance of stringing together completions to sustain drives, though he'll still push the ball downfield when opportunities arise. If Bortles can continue to improve his ability to manage risk, he could spark a surprising resurgence in Jacksonville.

Not to be too touchy feely with this, but I saw everything that I needed to from Bortles and I really couldn't care about his numbers. He seemed like he had a grasp on what was going on out on the field and he consistently moved the team. He made throws when he needed them and he ran when there was an opportunity. I don't even think I need to put a number / qualitative grade on his performance other than that.

Quote:Not to be too touchy feely with this, but I saw everything that I needed to from Bortles and I really couldn't care about his numbers. He seemed like he had a grasp on what was going on out on the field and he consistently moved the team. He made throws when he needed them and he ran when there was an opportunity. I don't even think I need to put a number / qualitative grade on his performance other than that.

Well said.  :yes:
Quote:Not to be too touchy feely with this, but I saw everything that I needed to from Bortles and I really couldn't care about his numbers. He seemed like he had a grasp on what was going on out on the field and he consistently moved the team. He made throws when he needed them and he ran when there was an opportunity. I don't even think I need to put a number / qualitative grade on his performance other than that.
I agree with you as a general rule.

However, I often will examine outside perspectives as a hedge against homerism, or in some cases a boost of homerism....and in still more cases...a good laugh.

I didn't need confirmation of what I saw Friday from Bortles.  But I value Brooks' opinion on these matters.
A++

Bortles makes Luck look like Gabbert
Quote:A++

I really hope Luck fizzles out, and Bortles shows him up.  Also, I hope Bortles brings home a Super Bowl before the caveman as well.
Quote:A++

Lol that is a bit delusional at this point. 

Bortles in 2015 so far makes Bortles in 2014 look like Gabbert.
Quote:I agree with you as a general rule.

However, I often will examine outside perspectives as a hedge against homerism, or in some cases a boost of homerism....and in still more cases...a good laugh.

I didn't need confirmation of what I saw Friday from Bortles. But I value Brooks' opinion on these matters.

And I understand why you read those articles, especially since I do the same thing myself.

I guess what I was trying to relay was that to me I had a better "feeling" about Bortles' performance than a grade.

And you are right, Brooks is a good read on football.
I feel very good about Blake going into this season. I hope his line protects him/keeps him healthy but I also hope his weapons stay healthy as well. I really hope his int go way down this season.

Quote:And I understand why you read those articles, especially since I do the same thing myself.

I guess what I was trying to relay was that to me I had a better "feeling" about Bortles' performance than a grade.

And you are right, Brooks is a good read on football.

What do you know? You're from VA. That guy in BW3 seemed to know what he was talking about though, even if he was a litle dum.
Quote:What do you know? You're from VA. That guy in BW3 seemed to know what he was talking about though, even if he was a litle dum.

You can't trust guys that go to chain type bars though. They probably even order Fried with their wings.

But maybe all the rain affected how I saw the game.