Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who is our slot receiver ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Rashad Greene and Bryan Walters have both shown good hands and good awareness in the preseason, and you could make an argument for either to play the slot receiver position.

This seems like a similar battle to Bowanko vs Wis - potential vs experience...  but who wins ?  Or is there someone else in the running ?

I don't even think Walters will be on the roster after cuts so I'll say Greene wins in a landslide.
I don't see who could possibly beat out Walters for #5 WR

IMO both will see plenty of passes coming their way
Quote:Rashad Greene and Bryan Walters have both shown good hands and good awareness in the preseason, and you could make an argument for either to play the slot receiver position.

This seems like a similar battle to Bowanko vs Wis - potential vs experience...  but who wins ?  Or is there someone else in the running ?

From Rotoworld

With Marqise Lee (always?) injured, Greene was the Jaguars' slot receiver to open the game, working between Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns on the first-team offense. Greene had a clutch third-down catch from Blake Bortles midway through the first half. The Jags plan to primarily run two-tight end sets this year, so Greene will be a rotational player if he holds off Lee. Aug 28 - 10:56 PM

--------------

Yeah its not really even close, though Bryan Walters has been making a lot of great catches in PreSeason.
He's like 5 slots above Bryan Walters on the Depth Chart, he should beat out WR Washington (he was a bit disapointing), Closs, and maybe WR Neal Sterling.

Link to transactions by CBS

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/trans...le-jaguars
Greene should be out there in the slot whenever the Albino Tiger is napping in his cage.
Too funny hopefully it puts a spark behind Lee and gets him out on the field.

https://twitter.com/samkouvaris/status/6...8945089536

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/samkouvaris'>Sam Kouvaris ‏@<b>samkouvaris</b> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/samkouvaris/status/638763978945089536'>17h17 hours ago</a>

<p class="">Bradley says " When we go three wide Rashad Greene will be the starter. (Slot)" <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/jaguars?src=hash'>#<b>jaguars</b></a>

I didn't see Walters in the Lions game (which is the only preseason game of the Jags I've been able to watch) maybe because I stopped watching once Henne came in. Idk if Walters was out there with the 1s or not but I liked what I saw from Greene. Though it is nice to finally have competition to make the roster for WRs. Remember in like 2011-2012 when we were pulling guys off practice squads and no one outside the team and message boards new our receivers names? Jason Hill,Chastin West, and Kevin Elliott(who I hear now is a good receiver in the CFL). OH and don't forget the Mike Sims-Walker double experiment
It should be Greene.

The impression I've gotten watching these preseason games is that Greene already has Bortles' confidence.

On several third down situations, Bortles threw to Greene.

That lets me know several things:

1.  Greene runs accurate routes and that he is where he is supposed to be-or at the very least views the coverages similarly to Bortles.

2.  He gets himself open.

3.  He has reliable enough hands.

Quote:Rashad Greene and Bryan Walters have both shown good hands and good awareness in the preseason, and you could make an argument for either to play the slot receiver position.

This seems like a similar battle to Bowanko vs Wis
- potential vs experience... but who wins ? Or is there someone else in the running ?
Not really. One guy is fighting for playing time. (Greene) The other is fighting for a roster spot. (Walters)
Rashad Green this is the sole reason why we dbrought him here
Greene then Lee. Walters seems like a good possession receiver who is going to be on the PS this year. He may be called up if we keep facing injuries to WR.
The Jags found Hurns last year and Green this year. Green is even better due to his intangible value and willingness few mentioned: his blocking ability. Time to time again, Green put his body out there to help his teammate receivers getting more yards. That is invaluable. The question is if this coaching staff comfortable enough to start a rookie along side very young WR corp?
Quote:I don't even think Walters will be on the roster after cuts so I'll say Greene wins in a landslide.

All indications are Walters is on the roster
Here's how I see it:

WR corps sucked. Big time. Shorts was our "best" receiver, outside of an oft-suspended Blackmon.

They drafted looking to replace. They got Lee and Arob as future outside receivers, and got Hurnsy as a guy familiar with Jedd's book, who just so happened to perform better than most UDFAs.

Still looking to solidify his place though, he needs to clean up the drops. Though coach speak will tell you, they still think Lee is a stud to play on the outside, while most fans seem to think Lee would/is/will be relegated to slot after a strong showing from Hurns as an outside guy.

Greene was drafted to play the slot role, a role they tried to address in free agency going after Cobb. 

If Lee is healthy, they want him as an outside guy. 

But if Hurns simply starts outplaying him even when healthy, Lee and Greene will split time at slot, with both guys being inside in some 4 wide sets.

Walters (by play and by injury to Benn) seemingly has #5 locked up as a utility and backup WR...

do they keep 6? My gut says no... not enough talent on the back end to warrant a real roster spot...

I'd venture they keep 5 TEs before 6 WRs...

Walters made the roster with his play. Greene and Walters both played very well.

Greene #4 Walters #5.  Sterling on the PS.

Rashad Greene is gonna be an awesome player for the Jags. 

Quote:Greene #4 Walters #5.  Sterling on the PS.

Rashad Greene is gonna be an awesome player for the Jags. 
I actually have Greene ahead of Lee already.

The best ability is availability.

AR15 and Hurns on the outside, Greene in the slot, and Lee riding pine for now. Maybe he gets healthy and maybe he entrenches himself back into our #2 role.

But I'm not so sure... this guy has hammy issues for life written all over him.

Which is not so big of a let down when our 5th round rookie has looked very promising.

And last years UDFA is learning to catch more consistently.
..the one in the middle. That was easy.
Pages: 1 2