Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Revisiting 2014: Week One: Jags Vs Eagles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I had this odd idea to subscribe to NFL Network and rewatch all the regular season games before the start of this years season. 

Here are my findings. If this is extremely silly, I won't keep doing it but I was bored and waiting to go back to work. 

IF this does come across as an interesting concept, give me the pros and cons and what I should do while rewatching week 2's game. One thing I'm thinking is I should maybe include the negatives as well? 

Week 1: Jags Vs Eagles

Does anyone remember how much Philly was booing to begin the game in only week 1? Wow. I watched the game at a friends house with a bunch of people so we weren't hearing much of the audio.

Also, I completely forgot that Allen Hurns played with Jedd Fisch in Miami. Will not having Fisch there hurt Hurns at all? I'd think no, but any thoughts? 

1st Quarter: (One of the best quarters of football I've seen the Jags play in awhile)

Chris Clemons forces a fumble on Nick Foles

Senderrick Marks stops McCoy behind the LOS

Allen Hurns first two catches and both TD's

Andre Branch has a nasty hit on Foles to cause a fumble

Chris Clemons nearly causes a 2nd fumble on Foles but it's an incomplete pass

Posluzny literally tackles Maclin & McCoy at the same time (LOL)

Allen Hurns 3rd catch is a 46 yard catch (wow) from the 1 yard line.

Gerhart injured by Fletcher Cox (looked like a horse collar at first, but nah just a violent tackle, is this good or bad?)

2nd Quarter: (Overall probably one of the best halves of football by the Jags in awhile, and this is with Henne at the helm)

Scobee hits a 49 yard FG. (missed a 50 yard attempt later, obv turning point of the game, good thing we got rid of this menace. LOL jk)

Ryan Davis sack on Nick Foles (announcer says Jags are looking like the unexpecting super bowl contender at this point)

Camera guy gets laid out on near TD catch by Riley Cooper

Alan Ball picks off Nick Foles in the endzone!!!! (3rd turnover by Foles)

Jags cause the second encroachment penalty from Philly

Marquise Lee yells "$%@!" after missing catch from Chad Henne (shows heart, unlike this year?)

Geno Hayes layes out McCoy at LOS.

Ryan Davis & Andre Branch lay a nasty hit on Foles on the holding penalty to Alan Ball

Senderrick Marks 1st sack of the season!!!

Beautiful pass breakup on Maclin by Cyprien (as he smashes his head into the ground and probable concussion... laid out on the ground motionless for several minutes, good effort tho baby)

Josh Evans on a beautiful no call from an offensive pushoff from Maclin in the endzone

2nd Quarter is over (Philly boos like crazy)

3rd Quarter: (Ouch, no positives on Offense)

Poz makes a stop behind the line on McCoy (Injured?)

JT Thomas lays out Darren Sproles on a screen pass (Ugh Sproles got a TD next play lol)

Telvin Smith tackle on Celek 2.5 yards behind LOS

Andre Branch 3 yard loss tackle on McCoy (Amazing play)

Chris Prosinski 3 yard loss tackle to Sproles (pains me to type this)

Winston Guy destruction to Sproles on a dump off. 

4th Quarter:

I'm blank... most painful thing to watch ever? 

Jags 17 Eagles 34

Obvious afterthoughts:

*I'm thinking I should definitely include the negatives of the game after seeing several in this game (Yes, several is an understatement). Thoughts?

*Possibly a timestamp at what time I saw each play maybe??

Quote:Week 1: Jags Vs Eagles

Ryan Davis & Andre Branch lay a nasty hit on Foles on the holding penalty to Alan Ball

Interseting. Looking at it like this, Branch really started out like a terror. Wander if he'll ever reach a level of consistency making plays?
Why make us relive the pain? Biggest high and biggest downer in one week.

Quote:Interseting. Looking at it like this, Branch really started out like a terror. Wander if he'll ever reach a level of consistency making plays?

I thought Branch was finally going to live up to his expectations after this.

Quote:Interseting. Looking at it like this, Branch really started out like a terror. Wander if he'll ever reach a level of consistency making plays?

You know, seeing the plays Branch was involved in during this game really was a good factor in me continuing this. I was seeing 90 quite a bit this game and thinking, what happened? 
The Jaguars gave up 34 unanswered points that week didn't they?

That is the most embarrassing thing of the Caldwell/Bradley era so far, IMO. But they partially redeemed themselves with the 21 point comeback later in the year, but not entirely.

I remember texting my friend saying check out my jags! and he didnt reply until the end and said "oh yeah they played like the jags" I replied saying well played....

Quote:The Jaguars gave up 34 unanswered points that week didn't they?

That is the most embarrassing thing of the Caldwell/Bradley era so far, IMO. But they partially redeemed themselves with the 21 point comeback later in the year, but not entirely.

They sure did, which prompted my wanting to show the negatives as well since there were just as many negatives if not more than positives. 
The game was basically Gus' welcome to the NFL moment. The Jaguars were doing so well at halftime he just said, "great job...keep it going." Meanwhile, the Eagles were doing a textbook job of halftime adjustments.

A
ll season I kept hoping that the first half of the game would be a glimpse of things to come, but that never transpired.

Interesting concept.

I think it would be a great concept if you could provide analysis how this year's additions might have made a difference in that game.

For instance, with a bigger and more experienced C with Wiz and a better RT in Parnell, would the team have been able to run the ball more effectively than last year, milking more of the clock and winning the game?

That game hurt so much.

Every offseason I (and most others) get excited. "This is the year we turn it around!" I though, and the first half was sooooo good. Hurns was going to be the GOAT, Henne was going to have a great year and we could trade him away for a good pick at the end of the year when Bortles was ready. Everything was great.

And then that second half happened. I was numb - I'm usually pretty chill when the Jags lose (I've been a fan since '07, we've sucked pretty much ever since I started following the sport). That loss really stung.

Sad

Quote:Interesting concept.

I think it would be a great concept if you could provide analysis how this year's additions might have made a difference in that game.

For instance, with a bigger and more experienced C with Wiz and a better RT in Parnell, would the team have been able to run the ball more effectively than last year, milking more of the clock and winning the game?

I love this idea. I do love football, and take pride in my knowledge, but I don't think I'm good enough to be able to say if we plugged in x player on this play, it would have been way better. I can kind of do that by listing the negatives, and people that know more than I do would maybe kind of plug in someone in their head, but yeah I don't think I could actually say a certain situation would be better with someone different. 

I will say I saw some plays by Poz that I really forget he had in him. 
Quote:That game hurt so much.

Every offseason I (and most others) get excited. "This is the year we turn it around!" I though, and the first half was sooooo good. Hurns was going to be the GOAT, Henne was going to have a great year and we could trade him away for a good pick at the end of the year when Bortles was ready. Everything was great.

And then that second half happened. I was numb - I'm usually pretty chill when the Jags lose (I've been a fan since '07, we've sucked pretty much ever since I started following the sport). That loss really stung.

Sad

Is it sad that I preface that phrase by saying "I say this every year, but..." to friends/co-workers?
Quote:So, I had this odd idea to subscribe to NFL Network and rewatch all the regular season games before the start of this years season. 

Here are my findings. If this is extremely silly, I won't keep doing it but I was bored and waiting to go back to work. 

IF this does come across as an interesting concept, give me the pros and cons and what I should do while rewatching week 2's game. One thing I'm thinking is I should maybe include the negatives as well? 

Week 1: Jags Vs Eagles

Does anyone remember how much Philly was booing to begin the game in only week 1? Wow. I watched the game at a friends house with a bunch of people so we weren't hearing much of the audio.

Also, I completely forgot that Allen Hurns played with Jedd Fisch in Miami. Will not having Fisch there hurt Hurns at all? I'd think no, but any thoughts? 

1st Quarter: (One of the best quarters of football I've seen the Jags play in awhile)

Chris Clemons forces a fumble on Nick Foles

Senderrick Marks stops McCoy behind the LOS

Allen Hurns first two catches and both TD's

Chris Clemons nearly causes a 2nd fumble on Foles but it's an incomplete pass

Posluzny literally tackles Maclin & McCoy at the same time (LOL)

Allen Hurns 3rd catch is a 46 yard catch (wow) from the 1 yard line.

Gerhart injured by Fletcher Cox (looked like a horse collar at first, but nah just a violent tackle, is this good or bad?)

2nd Quarter: (Overall probably one of the best halves of football by the Jags in awhile, and this is with Henne at the helm)

Scobee hits a 49 yard FG. (missed a 50 yard attempt later, obv turning point of the game, good thing we got rid of this menace. LOL jk)

Ryan Davis sack on Nick Foles (announcer says Jags are looking like the unexpecting super bowl contender at this point)

Camera guy gets laid out on near TD catch by Riley Cooper

Alan Ball picks off Nick Foles in the endzone!!!! (3rd turnover by Foles)

Jags cause the second encroachment penalty from Philly

Marquise Lee yells "$%@!" after missing catch from Chad Henne (shows heart, unlike this year?)

Geno Hayes layes out McCoy at LOS.

Senderrick Marks 1st sack of the season!!!

Beautiful pass breakup on Maclin by Cyprien (as he smashes his head into the ground and probable concussion... laid out on the ground motionless for several minutes, good effort tho baby)

Josh Evans on a beautiful no call from an offensive pushoff from Maclin in the endzone

2nd Quarter is over (Philly boos like crazy)

3rd Quarter: (Ouch, no positives on Offense)

Poz makes a stop behind the line on McCoy (Injured?)

JT Thomas lays out Darren Sproles on a screen pass (Ugh Sproles got a TD next play lol)

Telvin Smith tackle on Celek 2.5 yards behind LOS

Chris Prosinski 3 yard loss tackle to Sproles (pains me to type this)

Winston Guy destruction to Sproles on a dump off. 

4th Quarter:

I'm blank... most painful thing to watch ever? 

Jags 17 Eagles 34

Obvious afterthoughts:

*I'm thinking I should definitely include the negatives of the game after seeing several in this game (Yes, several is an understatement). Thoughts?

*Possibly a timestamp at what time I saw each play maybe??

I never understood the hate some fans have towards Poz, because I always felt he was an above average MLB (went to the ProBowl as a Jaguar-alternate) and he is what Gus Bradley wants the team to be TOUGH!

I have read many fans comments stating that WR Allen Hurns only made it up the depth chart and played well because of his previous knowledge of the OC Fisch's playbook to which I think is a bit obsurd.  I mean he had to fight to get a roster spot, and then proved his way during PreSeason & even during this Eagles game that he was worth at least a WR #3 spot.   If the Jaguars cut Hurns today he would be picked up by another team tomorrow and given a legit shot at one of their top WR spots.  Look he's only in his 2nd year and has a lot to continue to work on especially not dropping the ball, but he has serious potential & opportunities this year based on Marquise Lee constant injuries.

The bold big font was the feeling of most Jaguar fans after watching that first half.  I know I was like WOW this team is legit, and then the 2nd half happened, which I felt SS Jonathan Cyprien injury marked the turning point.
Quote:Interesting concept.

All the Jags had to do to win that game was for Henne to NOT turn back into Henne, but alas that was too much to ask, like we all didn't know that already.

It was the exact same thing in the Texans game a couple of years ago when Henne played so well the Jags were maintaining a 2 TD lead for most of the game, but once again, Henne turned back into the Henne we all know so well and the Texans won in OT.

As you can see from those 2 games, Henne is actually capable (at times) of playing some great football, but those times are very very very rare (even more rare then an albino tiger sighting) and even when he does manage to go into unbelievably good Henne mode, he still can't find a way to win the game.
I was in Alaska opening day last year.  My brother found a sports bar in Fairbanks where at 9:00am a bunch of folks gathered to watch NFL football. It was a surreal experience!

Met the only Jags fan in Fairbanks that day.  He showed up in a Jags jersey!

Man, I remember this and it pains me so badly. We came out woopin' that ***!! I was like, yes!! We're back!! Then the let down after halftime and I wanted to jump off a bridge.....

GO JAGS!!

Quote:All the Jags had to do to win that game was for Henne to NOT turn back into Henne, but alas that was too much to ask, like we all didn't know that already.

It was the exact same thing in the Texans game a couple of years ago when Henne played so well the Jags were maintaining a 2 TD lead for most of the game, but once again, Henne turned back into the Henne we all know so well and the Texans won in OT.

As you can see from those 2 games, Henne is actually capable (at times) of playing some great football, but those times are very very very rare (even more rare then an albino tiger sighting) and even when he does manage to go into unbelievably good Henne mode, he still can't find a way to win the game.

Exactly! Is it too much to ask for Chenne to play good for an entire sixty minutes?  Yes...yes it is. As I've said several times before, Chenne is a beacon of inconsistency.