Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cutdown from 75 to 53
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's see if we can figure out who the next 22 cuts are.

I'll start with the easy cuts...

DT Richard Ash

WR Casey Closs

G Will Corbin

S Matt Daniels

<strong>LDE Ikponmwosa Igbinosun</strong>

RB Storm Johnson

WR Erik Lora

QB Stephen Morris

G Chris Reed

LB Todd Thomas

CB Peyton Thompson

That's 11 players. We know they'll release one of their two kickers...

K Josh Scobee

K Jason Meyers

So that's 12 players, but there's still another 10 to go.

Next up I'll list the players that I feel are safe and have secured a roster spot this preseason...

OLB Thurston Armbrister

DT Michael Bennett

MLB Jeremiah George

RB Corey Grant

TE Nic Jacobs

WR Bryan Walters

G Tyler Shatley

DE Chris Smith

Now I'll list all the remaining bubble players to choose from...

DE Andre Branch (he should only be out a month with the MCL, so they'd have to keep him on the active roster)

DE Cap Capi

S Josh Evans

CB Jeremy Harris

DT Ziggy Hood

TE Ben Koyack

S Craig Loston

OLB John Lotulelei

CB Nick Marshall

OT Austin Pasztor

RB Bernard Pierce

OLB LaRoy Reynolds

CB Rashaad Reynolds

WR Neal Sterling

WR Tony Washington

OT Sam Young

That's 16 names, but they can only keep 6. What 10 players do you cut?

I'm thinking Evans, Koyack, Sterling, Washington and Young for starters, but that leaves five more to cut.

<strong>With Evans and Young cut they'll need to keep Loston and Pasztor for depth.
</strong>

Among the three CBs in Rashaad Reynolds, Nick Marshall and Jeremey Harris, I'm cutting two of them although I don't know yet which two. <strong>That leaves 3 more to cut with the following names to choose from...
</strong>

DE Andre Branch

DE Cap Capi

DT Ziggy Hood

LB John Lotulelei

RB Bernard Pierce

LB LaRoy Reynolds

3 of these 6 have to go.

They probably want a 6th LB, so I need to cut either LaRoy Reynolds or John Lotulelei. I'm leaning towards cutting Lotulelei, although he was making some impressive tackles this preseason and I'm still deciding. But one of the two is cut so that leaves two more.

I'd like to keep Pierce as a 5th RB as he's the only other power back aside from Gerhart.

This means the last two to cut are on the DL between Branch, Capi and Hood. At LEO they still have Clemons, Chris Smith and Ryan Davis, but at DT behind Marks they only have Bennett along with Alualu and Odrick able to move over to the spot if needed. This is too tough for me to call at present.

At any rate, these are my thoughts. Let me know what 22 players you cut, or if you agree with my first 12, what remaining 10 players do you cut?

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">I actually think Bernard Pierce has earned a spot on the roster and I think Shatley is on the bubble. I'm not buying into the hype with him, no matter how much Boselli praises him. If he was that good, he'd be starting. I don't think he's worth keeping, just my opinion. Also, Josh Evans and Loston are pretty close in comparison, so I don't really know who they'll pick. I'm going to go ahead and say they'll pick Evans because of experience. Also, what is going on with Gratz. I haven't heard anything about him and haven't seen him play. Was I just not noticing him on the field these past three weeks? How do we know he is for sure staying on the roster? I liked him last year and thought he played okay, but he's been a ghost.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Safe:

<div>Andre Branch
Ziggy Hood
Josh Evans
Nick Marshall
Austin Pasztor
LaRoy Reynolds
</div>

Cut:

<div>Tyler Shatley
Cap capi
Craig Loston
Jeremy Harris
Ben Koyack
John Lotulelei
Rashaad Reynolds
Neal Sterling
Tony Washington
Sam Young
</div>
I haven't noticed Gratz much either, but he's clearly the 4th best CB on the roster so I see him as a roster lock. Behind him I'm really not all that sold on any of the CBs. Early in the preseason I noticed Rashaad make a nice pass breakup plus he's showed up a bit on STs, but he was getting beat a few times vs the Lions. Jeremy Harris has had a few nice pass breakups this preseason, but he's also had his fair share of plays where he's either beat or making mistakes. Marshall is impressive with his speed, but he can't tackle worth a crap and doesn't even try to make plays on the ball. I'd almost rather see them bring in an 5th CB or just keep 4. I think Marshall is best served on the PS, and I really don't buy the hype that he'll get claimed as other teams should quickly realize he's not quite ready to take the field.

Quote:I haven't noticed Gratz much either, but he's clearly the 4th best CB on the roster so I see him as a roster lock. Behind him I'm really not all that sold on any of the CBs. Early in the preseason I noticed Rashaad make a nice pass breakup plus he's showed up a bit on STs, but he was getting beat a few times vs the Lions. Jeremy Harris has had a few nice pass breakups this preseason, but he's also had his fair share of plays where he's either beat or making mistakes. Marshall is impressive with his speed, but he can't tackle worth a crap and doesn't even try to make plays on the ball. I'd almost rather see them bring in an 5th CB or just keep 4. I think Marshall is best served on the PS, and I really don't buy the hype that he'll get claimed as other teams should quickly realize he's not quite ready to take the field.
I agree completely about Marshall. Hasn't done anything worth noting as a CB, and I think Reynolds and Harris have outperformed him. The coaches clearly favor him though and talked highly of his performances in practice, but he hasn't translated that to live games. They might keep him for ST's, but he can't tackle like you said. They might just sign him and help him develop if they see potential, but I don't see him doing anything but punt returns this year lol.
I don't think Shatley makes the final cut

Beadles, Linder, Cann, Pasztor and Wiz can play guard if needed
No way you can say Pierce is not safe but Grant is

Quote:No way you can say Pierce is not safe but Grant is

When it comes to guys like #4 RBs at the bottom of your roster, you want them to play ST as well. Pierce doesn't.

Quote:When it comes to guys like #4 RBs at the bottom of your roster, you want them to play ST as well. Pierce doesn't.

I think he does actually. Just not as a returner.

Please correct me if I'm confused.
Quote:When it comes to guys like #4 RBs at the bottom of your roster, you want them to play ST as well. Pierce doesn't.

What does Grant do besides return?
Quote:What does Grant do besides return?

He was a gunner the other night
Quote:What does Grant do besides return?

They'll probably come up with a gadget play or two for him on offense to pull out at crucial moments, too.
Quote:They'll probably come up with a gadget play or two for him on offense to pull out at crucial moments, too.

I doubt he would even be on the 45 man roster unless Denard were injured.
Quote: 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">I actually think Bernard Pierce has earned a spot on the roster and I think Shatley is on the bubble. I'm not buying into the hype with him, no matter how much Boselli praises him. If he was that good, he'd be starting. I don't think he's worth keeping, just my opinion. Also, Josh Evans and Loston are pretty close in comparison, so I don't really know who they'll pick. I'm going to go ahead and say they'll pick Evans because of experience. Also, what is going on with Gratz. I haven't heard anything about him and haven't seen him play. Was I just not noticing him on the field these past three weeks? How do we know he is for sure staying on the roster? I liked him last year and thought he played okay, but he's been a ghost.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Safe:

<div>
<div>Andre Branch
Ziggy Hood
Josh Evans
Nick Marshall
Austin Pasztor
LaRoy Reynolds
</div>

Cut:

<div>Tyler Shatley
Cap capi
Craig Loston
Jeremy Harris
Ben Koyack
John Lotulelei
Rashaad Reynolds
Neal Sterling
Tony Washington
Sam Young
</div>

</div>
I would flip Evans and Loston, and Pasztor and Young, although I could see going with Pasztor for relative youth. If Loston's injury is more than what 1010 said, I would keep Evans instead of Loston, I suppose. I would cut Marshall, and keep Shatley. Not sure between Hood and Capi, I might just keep Capi. There are some close calls for me, I am glad to finally see it. I really would like to keep Sterling, but can't justify it.