Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Good, Bad and the Ugly for Pre Wk 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
AMAZING - Blake Bortles

GOOD - Allen Hurns, Pass protection, Marcedes, Myers, Alualu, Brown, House, Walters, George, Bennett, Jacobs

BAD - Defensive line in the running and passing game (especially Branch/Odrick), Roy Miller, Allen Robinson, Stephen Morris, Colvin, Gratz

UGLY - Running game outside of Bortles (mostly the blocking), Henne, Starting defense as a unit.

Good Bortles and pass protection

Bad Pass rush

Ugly Henne and the inability to stop the lions with 95 yards of field to go (after a 60+ yard TD)
Good: BB5, Pass Protections, Marcedes Lewis, Allen Hurns

Bad: Running Game, Run Blocking

Ugly: AR15, Pass Rush, Tackling (Henne doesn't count, we know he belongs shining helmets)

Good - Bortles

Bad - Zenner

Ugly - Pylon Infatuation
We've seen some decent stuff with the starting defense like last week against Beckham Jr. but what worries me is no one has really made a big play at all. Very pedestrian and passive defense just reacting to whatever it is we give up instead of causing problems like we were able to do at least in spurts last year which with this offense we've seen in preseason is plenty good. Hopefully they get their act together when it counts. Carolina seems to be a team on the downswing and we are on the upswing (I think).

Good - Bortles, Hurns and the TEs

Bad - run blocking, ARob and defense

Ugly - Henne

Everything has been said already, but Colvin had a bad game. I hope that isn't a normal thing as the season goes on... Can't give up 60 yard TD bombs.

Quote:Everything has been said already, but Colvin had a bad game. I hope that isn't a normal thing as the season goes on... Can't give up 60 yard TD bombs.

Tate and Stafford is a really good combo in this league. I can't think of 10 more deadly combos.
Quote:Tate and Stafford is a really good combo in this league. I can't think of 10 more deadly combos.

And a great CB breaks up those passes regardless of who's throwing or catching the ball.
Quote:Tate and Stafford is a really good combo in this league. I can't think of 10 more deadly combos.

Once they get Calvin Johnson back on the field Detroit's passing game is going to be dangerous.
Bernand Pierce did well in pass protection. He picked up one late and stopped Bortles from getting hit and allowed him to run for a first down.

Quote:<div>
And a great CB breaks up those passes regardless of who's throwing or catching the ball.

I'd argue that Colvin isn't "great" yet, he's only played like 6 NFL games. These young players are going to get beaten once in a while by very good veteran players, it happens. If it happens more than once in a game we should worry but as long as they're improving it's ok.
</div>

Look at Blake last year, he'd throw some really nice passes but then he'd stare down a receiver and throw it into triple coverage, young players will make mistakes.

Quote:Bernand Pierce did well in pass protection. He picked up one late and stopped Bortles from getting hit and allowed him to run for a first down.

<div> 

<div> 
I'd argue that Colvin isn't "great" yet, he's only played like 6 NFL games. These young players are going to get beaten once in a while by very good veteran players, it happens. If it happens more than once in a game we should worry but as long as they're improving it's ok.
</div>

Look at Blake last year, he'd throw some really nice passes but then he'd stare down a receiver and throw it into triple coverage, young players will make mistakes.

</div>
the Tate matchup was a tough one, but the 60 yard bomb he had pretty good coverage.  Stride for stride with a hand out to hit the ball 40+ yards down the field is tough that was a great throw.
Good - Bortles, offense continuing to move the ball

bad - Yeldon, run blocking, receiver drops

ugly - run defense, Joekel, Beadles

I feel like we're sleeping on Hurns. He's one of the better route runners not just on the team, but in the league. While Rashean Mathis has always had issues with biting on the double move, very rarely will you see someone cause a veteran CB go flat-footed on a double move, let alone one of the top CBs of the past decade.

We may not even have to worry about Hurns' learning to catch with his hands if he gets open like that all the time. Body catch away, brother.

Quote:the Tate matchup was a tough one, but the 60 yard bomb he had pretty good coverage.  Stride for stride with a hand out to hit the ball 40+ yards down the field is tough that was a great throw.
Colvin got caught looking, and then when he tried to whip himself back around to Tate, he stumbled and was 2-3 strides behind him by the point.
Quote:I feel like we're sleeping on Hurns. He's one of the better route runners not just on the team, but in the league. While Rashean Mathis has always had issues with biting on the double move, very rarely will you see someone cause a veteran CB go flat-footed on a double move, let alone one of the top CBs of the past decade.

We may not even have to worry about Hurns' learning to catch with his hands if he gets open like that all the time. Body catch away, brother.

Great route runner, and he seams to make himself always open.  The problem is we hold our breath when the ball is thrown his way.  The drops by the WHOLE WR corps needs to stop, like last night.
Quote:Everything has been said already, but Colvin had a bad game. I hope that isn't a normal thing as the season goes on... Can't give up 60 yard TD bombs.

I can't really blame Colvin for that one, he was in position that was just a case of sensational pass by a pretty good quarterback.  Hey, their guys get paid too.

I don't get the "hate" for Chad Henne.  I thought that he did pretty well in the role that he is in, that being the backup quarterback.  Sure Blake Bortles is clearly better, but should he go down for some reason, I don't think that Chad Henne is going to lose games for you.

The Good was Bortles and the TEs, best TE game we've had in a while. Can't wait for Thomas to be back in the lineup.

The Bad was the defense, they were fortunate early on that the lions didn't score but they really put up very little resistance, going back to the fact that the defensive line has no pash rushing ability at all right now.

The Ugly was Yeldon in his first action. About a yard per carry and got a big break on his goal line TD that was really a fumble. I know a lot of people here were ready to crown him, but I'm just not seeing it. So-so speed, so-so size, and a fumbler. The worst part is that rushing the ball should be the easiest transition from college to NFL, Joeckel might be the worse pick due to the draft position, but I can actually understand why Joeckel was taken so high. He plays a premium position and had the measureables and game film. The Yeldon pick just seems like a desperation need reach when Caldwell thought all the backs were going off of the board. Someone should have told him RB isn't a premium position and to sit tight.

I'm getting worried about the defense.  Big Ben torched them on his only drive.  The Giants would have had a lot more big plays if Eli would have thrown it anywhere near his receivers and Stafford had a 150 QB rating last night.

Pages: 1 2 3