Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Lemmy Says the State of Rock Is ‘Pretty Poor Right Now’
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lemmy Says the State of Rock Is ‘Pretty Poor Right Now’

We can officially count Motörhead frontman Lemmy Kilmister among the rock vets who aren’t happy with the current state of the genre

“I think it’s pretty poor right now,” he argued during a new interview with Kerrang! (via Blabbermouth). “We’re waiting for something, and I’m not sure what it is. Maybe it’s for the death of rock ‘n’ roll, y’know? I really don’t know. I don’t understand what we’re waiting for at the moment, because we’ve been waiting for a long time. We deserve something, but we ain’t getting it.”

| http://ultimateclassicrock.com/lemmy-sta...ck=tsmclip

It's not just rock that is poor, it is music all around.
Quote:It's not just rock that is poor, it is music all around.

There is even more truth in this statement.

What happened to all the really good music?

Some of what I hear on today's radio when I scan around to different stations has me asking myself that same question, especially when it is on a station that is supposed to be playing "today's top songs by today's top artists".
I have not listened to the radio in years, just my CD (MP3-4) collection

there is some young talent out there in punk rock, the fest in Gainesville is a nice little place to restore some faith in music although it might not be a good scene for everyone.

Kids today would rather listen to synth and bass-heavy pop with teen idols auto-tuned into singers than talented singers in guitar-driven bands where people actually play their own instruments.

There are still some really good rock bands out there, but they're holdovers from the '70s, '80s and '90s for the most part. I believe it was Dave Grohl who said not too long ago that anyone dreaming of picking up a guitar and striking it rich these days is better off bagging groceries.

Quote:I believe it was Dave Grohl who said not too long ago that anyone dreaming of picking up a guitar and striking it rich these days is better off bagging groceries.
I think this is part of the problem. Making music in an attempt to get rich is how that crappy synth/bass/autotune is created.

Making music because you love doing it is how good music is created.
LOL! Almost every post sounds like an old guy on his porch sayin' dagnabit, things aren't as good as they used to be!

Has anyone over 35 ever said music is better now than when I was coming up? I've yet to hear it.

Quote:LOL! Almost every post sounds like an old guy on his porch sayin' dagnabit, things aren't as good as they used to be!

Has anyone over 35 ever said music is better now than when I was coming up? I've yet to hear it.
I'm under 35, and I freely admit that most of what comes through the radio today is utter crap.
Quote:LOL! Almost every post sounds like an old guy on his porch sayin' dagnabit, things aren't as good as they used to be!

You are right. Cheerleader by OMI is a modern day Stairway to Heaven.
Quote:There is even more truth in this statement.

What happened to all the really good music?

Some of what I hear on today's radio when I scan around to different stations has me asking myself that same question, especially when it is on a station that is supposed to be playing "today's top songs by today's top artists".

That's your problem right there.  Most of the better new music that's out there isn't getting airplay because they're either self published, or they're simply not getting the backing of any major labels.  The fact that the state of the music industry in general is pretty bad has a lot to do with the way corporate radio has dictated what makes the cut and what doesn't.  There was a time when you had stations that played music from across the spectrum.  Not so much these days.  There are still a few good college radio stations where you can get great music, but the list is shrinking steadily.
Quote:That's your problem right there.  Most of the better new music that's out there isn't getting airplay because they're either self published, or they're simply not getting the backing of any major labels.  The fact that the state of the music industry in general is pretty bad has a lot to do with the way corporate radio has dictated what makes the cut and what doesn't.  There was a time when you had stations that played music from across the spectrum.  Not so much these days.  There are still a few good college radio stations where you can get great music, but the list is shrinking steadily.
Asking out of genuine curiosity here, what are a few of the newer bands you like that aren't getting airplay? I'm always on the lookout for new music.
I think the Black Keys are pretty good for what they do.

What has Motörhead done to improve the state of music?

Quote:Asking out of genuine curiosity here, what are a few of the newer bands you like that aren't getting airplay? I'm always on the lookout for new music.

saw you had greenday on your top ten list

listen to MaskedIntruder kinda a pop punk band with a fun lil gimmick but they are pretty good..  lots of love songs through the eyes of a stalker/jail guy fun, funny.  Teenage bottle rocket is a good listen too.

Also I always found looking at what your favorite band wears as a shirt is a good way to find new music they tend to wear the band shirts of openers or bands they like that haven't "made it yet"
Quote:What has Motörhead done to improve the state of music?

Just listen to those Power chord, the Bass and the whole song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7-sbiGlzw
Quote:Just listen to those Power chord, the Bass and the whole song

To each his own.

Quote:To each his own.

Well using that example, what has Bob Marley done for music lately?  Or any of the bands that I like either?  Either way Lemmy is a pretty cool guy.  And he did have a pretty unique sound when he came out.  

Who would win in a fight, Lemmy or God? 
Quote:Well using that example, what has Bob Marley done for music lately?  Or any of the bands that I like either?  Either way Lemmy is a pretty cool guy.  And he did have a pretty unique sound when he came out.  

Who would win in a fight, Lemmy or God? 

Well, since Bob died 34 years ago, you may forgive his lack of influence lately. Having said that, who had more influence, Bob or Lemmy?

Motorhead Honored by Los Angeles City Council (Aug 26 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=yo...pp=desktop#

Pages: 1 2