Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: TJ Yeldon vs Ameer Abdullah
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Before the draft I kept clamoring for Ameer Abdullah in the second round. Caldwell ultimately went against my sound advice by selecting TJ Yeldon. On Friday we should get a good chance to see who has the better eye for talent... moi or Caldwell.

I hope it's Caldwell, but I'm rarely wrong about these things. Wink

I don't think one preseason game will decide who has the better eye for talent.

Quote:Before the draft I kept clamoring for Ameer Abdullah in the second round. Caldwell ultimately went against my sound advice by selecting TJ Yeldon. On Friday we should get a good chance to see who has the better eye for talent... moi or Caldwell.

I think at least part of what transpires relates to what the respective teams were looking for in the draft.   The Jaguars had great interest in signing Cowboys UFA RB DeMarco Murray.   Once Murray elected to sign with the Eagles,   I think the draft was where the Jags would look to find the closest thing to Murray in the 2nd Round on. 

For the Lions,  finding the piece to compliment Joique Bell was a priority.   Jahvid Best's career was cut short because of concussions and his replacement,  then UFA Reggie Bush couldn't stay healthy long enough.    So far,  Ameer Abdullah is even better than the Lions expected because of what he's offered as a receiver.   It's early but I'm very optimistic that Abdullah is going to be the playmaker the team has been seeking for a long, long time.   
Patting me self on the back much?

Use the eye lucratively, get a scouting gig...
I pick TJ because he is a Jaguar.
Cant wait to see TJ in action
I think It'll be tough to say who will be better because they are two different runners. Abdullah looks great with Detroit because Joique Bell is a beast inside, and without Bell Abdullah would probably suffer the same fate as Jahvid Best. Tj is a bigger back, not crazy explosive, but shifty with great vision. I think both will do well in the league. If our line can win than I think TJ has the ability to be a great back for us. 

Quote:I don't think one preseason game will decide who has the better eye for talent.
This. Along with both could end up working out for their teams in different ways/styles. However all I care about is TJ working out for us in the long run.
Quote:I don't think one preseason game will decide who has the better eye for talent.
this
Going to laff when Yeldon has 7 carries for 5 yards while Ameer racks up 7 ypc.

God I hope I am wrong.

Quote:Going to laff when Yeldon has 7 carries for 5 yards while Ameer racks up 7 ypc.

God I hope I am wrong.

Why would you "laff" at that?
Oh, from the thread title I thought maybe they were having a MMA match or something.
I also was pulling for Ameer in the second.

Quote:Before the draft I kept clamoring for Ameer Abdullah in the second round. Caldwell ultimately went against my sound advice by selecting TJ Yeldon. On Friday we should get a good chance to see who has the better eye for talent... moi or Caldwell.

Abdullah was also my guy in the draft after the big two. Here's hoping Yeldon can prove me wrong, since Ameer is getting rave reviews.
I thought for sure during the draft that we would be taking Ameer. Prior to the draft I was watching highlights of this kid and loved his quickness and jukes. Not to knock Yeldon, but I wonder what it was that the coaching staff didn't like in Ameer to pass him over? Was the main reason because TJ is a bigger body and would do better at pass protection?
Quote:I also was pulling for Ameer in the second.

Agree.
Quote:I thought for sure during the draft that we would be taking Ameer. Prior to the draft I was watching highlights of this kid and loved his quickness and jukes. Not to knock Yeldon, but I wonder what it was that the coaching staff didn't like in Ameer to pass him over? Was the main reason because TJ is a bigger body and would do better at pass protection?
Think they wanted a workhorse 3 down back which Yeldon fit better than Ameer
Yeldon is going to be a good RB for the Jags. He can make guys miss.
Quote:Why would you "laff" at that?

Because he's a dope
Sometimes rookie RBs look fantastic right from the start. Some look terrific early and stay terrific. Some look terrific early but start to struggle as the season progresses.

Other times, rookie RBs don't look like they're going to amount to much, but start looking terrific later in the season. Jeremy Hill was this way last year. Hill didn't get much time early last season. He struggled with fumbles and protection. Halfway through the season it really started clicking for him.

You never know about these things.

Hopefully for the Jags and Lions, both these rookie RBs are legitimate playmakers for a long time.
Pages: 1 2 3