Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles getting good press from Gil Brandt NFL.COM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

raweyejag

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">THE BRANT REPORT NFL.COM

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">The first few weeks of preseason action are in the books, as is my annual training camp tour -- which means it's time to present this year's list of training camp risers.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Below, you'll find 10 players, arranged in alphabetical order, who have been trending upward through camps and the initial portion of the preseason slate. As with last year's group, these players all either stood out to me in person, on tape or via the heat their names have been gathering. Expect all of these guys to make a significant impact on the 2015 season.

Blake Bortles, QB, Jacksonville Jaguars
<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Bortles has a new quarterbacks coach in Nathaniel Hackett and a new coordinator in Greg Olson, and his offensive line should provide better play up front, with free agents Stefen Wisniewski and Jermey Parnell coming aboard. Thus far, Bortles looks night-and-day different from what he was as a rookie. He's improved his mechanics and has a much better understanding of NFL coverages and the speed of the game; it looks to me like he's firmed his body up. More than anything, I like the weapons around him.Allen Robinson, whose rookie season ended when he was placed on injured reserve last November, looks like he's in for an excellent campaign.

I mean...yea
Mhm

But Rotoworld said...

But he plays scared in the pocket....

Quote:But he plays scared in the pocket....

And struggles with the deep ball
I had an exchange with a Vikings fan telling me how much better Teddy is than Bortles. He had a good point that Teddy has better stats this preseason across the board, but I was trying to explain that the Vikings have more weapons, etc. I can only imagine how well Bortles would do in that Vikings offense. While I think Bridgewater is working out fine, when I watch him in games I'm just not as impressed as when I watch Bortles. Just from my eyes perspective, I really feel that Blake is the better qb even if he's not quite putting up such gaudy stats.

So glad Fisch isn't here to screw this kid up.

Quote:I had an exchange with a Vikings fan telling me how much better Teddy is than Bortles. He had a good point that Teddy has better stats this preseason across the board, but I was trying to explain that the Vikings have more weapons, etc. I can only imagine how well Bortles would do in that Vikings offense. While I think Bridgewater is working out fine, when I watch him in games I'm just not as impressed as when I watch Bortles. Just from my eyes perspective, I really feel that Blake is the better qb even if he's not quite puttingu
It's the chicken legs skewing your vision. lol

Quote:I had an exchange with a Vikings fan telling me how much better Teddy is than Bortles. He had a good point that Teddy has better stats this preseason across the board, but I was trying to explain that the Vikings have more weapons, etc. I can only imagine how well Bortles would do in that Vikings offense. While I think Bridgewater is working out fine, when I watch him in games I'm just not as impressed as when I watch Bortles. Just from my eyes perspective, I really feel that Blake is the better qb even if he's not quite putting up such gaudy stats.
Teddy is a fine QB, but it was Bortles ceiling that made him a more desirable prospect.
Quote:I had an exchange with a Vikings fan telling me how much better Teddy is than Bortles. He had a good point that Teddy has better stats this preseason across the board, but I was trying to explain that the Vikings have more weapons, etc. I can only imagine how well Bortles would do in that Vikings offense. While I think Bridgewater is working out fine, when I watch him in games I'm just not as impressed as when I watch Bortles. Just from my eyes perspective, I really feel that Blake is the better qb even if he's not quite putting up such gaudy stats.

I feel like Bridgewater has a lower ceiling than Bortles.  I think he was really good at reading defenses when he got to the NFL, but physically Blake is better.  If Blake can read defense, work on his release, etc, I think he will be a much better qb.

Does Teddy really have more weapons this preseason? Rudolph can play, sure. But I'd take Allen Robinson over Mike Wallace in a heartbeat. If Teddy has an advantage, it's Norv Turner. And obviously once Adrian Peterson plays, that's another.

But I think Bortles too will have some weapons at his disposal in A-Rob and Julius Thomas, as well as an unknown commodity in Yeldon.

I think both Bridgewater and Bortles will blossom into franchise qb's, even if it takes Bortles a bit longer to do so (he was more of a "project" coming into the NFL anyway). Both have great presence in the pocket, both can read a defense. Teddy, I think, can see the field a bit better at this juncture in their careers, but Blake has the physical tools you can't teach. I think both will make their fanbases very happy over the next 10-15 years.

As much as Vikings Offensive Coordinator Norv Turner understandably likes Teddy Bridgewater,   I can imagine how much Turner would enjoy coaching Blake Bortles in his vertical Offense.
Quote:Does Teddy really have more weapons this preseason? Rudolph can play, sure. But I'd take Allen Robinson over Mike Wallace in a heartbeat. If Teddy has an advantage, it's Norv Turner. And obviously once Adrian Peterson plays, that's another.

But I think Bortles too will have some weapons at his disposal in A-Rob and Julius Thomas, as well as an unknown commodity in Yeldon.

I think both Bridgewater and Bortles will blossom into franchise qb's, even if it takes Bortles a bit longer to do so (he was more of a "project" coming into the NFL anyway). Both have great presence in the pocket, both can read a defense. Teddy, I think, can see the field a bit better at this juncture in their careers, but Blake has the physical tools you can't teach. I think both will make their fanbases very happy over the next 10-15 years.

Whoa! Common sense - now you cut that out!

It seems that some Jags fans take it as a personal affront to think that Bridgewater might turn out to be good. Like that somehow diminishes Bortles' abilities. They are allowed to both be good, or mediocre for that matter.
Quote:Whoa! Common sense - now you cut that out!

It seems that some Jags fans take it as a personal affront to think that Bridgewater might turn out to be good. Like that somehow diminishes Bortles' abilities. They are allowed to both be good, or mediocre for that matter.

I don't think we don't want to say Teddy isn't/won't be good. Just that we feel there's a real reason to believe Blake will be better.

If Bortles/Bridgewater have the next Manning/Brady rivalry, especially after Bortles beat him in college, that would be awesome
Quote:So glad Fisch isn't here to screw this kid up.

Outside of maybe Trestman, we couldn't have picked a better "QB guru" than Olson
At the very least, he's worked hard in the weight room.  He is supposedly lighter but looks like he's put on about 15 lbs of muscle and looks more like a linebacker than ever.  Here's to him steam rolling an occasional safety.  (Not to often though, lol.)

Love seeing good press when it comes to the Jags. It seems to be rare however when it happens it makes my day that much better!

As far as Teddy/Blake I hope both work out well. I also would love to see Blake be in the Manning/Brady feud in the future. As well as a Teddy/Blake Super Bowl showdown! I can dream :thumbsup: