Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gus building the next Legion of Boom
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Look at our corners. All young guys who can press up in your face and aggravate WR's.

McCray was a 7th round pick in 2013 out of App State and has gone against the best in the league. He has rarely given up a big play and virtually shut downs #1 receivers, including Antonio Brown last year.

Colvin should've been a day 2 pick but because of his ACL we got a 4th round steal. He has shown he can play inside and outside and is probably the most athletic and exciting to watch.

House was brought in to be our #1 corner and so far has shown he can be that guy. He only gave up one big play in pre-season because he slipped and fell.

I'd go as far as to say that right now our corner situation is EASILY better than Seattle as a group.
I have concerns about House.

He was billed as a CB who could hold up well against big, physical receivers.  However, Benn beat him deep in practice, and Bryant definitely out muscled  him on that deep TD.

Nevertheless, I still think House is going to help us and improve our secondary play from last year.  I think right now, CB is the strength of the defense.  We are still a couple of stud safeties away from being even close to LOB status.

Maybe if Sample can be the free safety and Cyp can spend more time in the box, then our secondary could be considered complete.

Again, I wouldn't put them in LOB category yet, but they are certainly trending in the right direction.

BTW, with their physical style of play, wouldn't they have fit in great with the might getcha era JDR defense?  Man the possibilities...

I thought about spaghetti for lunch tomorrow, but I think tacos would be the better choice.

What's for dinner?

Oh ya, we good at CB, maybe, shall see...
I thought Alan Ball was a good corner in this defense, House is going to have to play really well to be an "upgrade" here
Really, journeyman Ball is House's standard?
This secondary is no where near LOB. On paper they look good. But lets see them in action
Quote:This secondary is no where near LOB. On paper they look good. But lets see them in action

Have you seen the LOB lately? One of them is holding out, 2 went to Philly and their best CB behind Sherman is that bum Cary Williams who is already 30. They've become the Legion of Nyquil. They can't afford to keep anyone anymore.

I remember listening to the broadcasters during the Cowboys-Jags game in London last year, and the commentators noted some similarities between McCray and Richard Sherman according to Gus Bradley.

Sherm gets INTs tho, and the Jaguars don't have anyone near their Safeties.

Quote:I have concerns about House.

He was billed as a CB who could hold up well against big, physical receivers. However, Benn beat him deep in practice, and Bryant definitely out muscled him on that deep TD.

Nevertheless, I still think House is going to help us and improve our secondary play from last year. I think right now, CB is the strength of the defense. We are still a couple of stud safeties away from being even close to LOB status.

Maybe if Sample can be the free safety and Cyp can spend more time in the box, then our secondary could be considered complete.

Again, I wouldn't put them in LOB category yet, but they are certainly trending in the right direction.

BTW, with their physical style of play, wouldn't they have fit in great with the might getcha era JDR defense? Man the possibilities...

House isn't a finished product, he played limited snaps behind Sam Shields, Casey Heyward, and Tramon Williams in Green Bay, but flashed big time talent in those limited snaps, usually against elite #1 bigger receivers. I think the Jags signed him knowing he's a solid player right now, but ultimately can be an elite corner with some coaching, he's our most athletic corner with elite size for that position. It wouldn't surprise me if House is our best corner by seasons end, the Jaguars (like the Seahawks) know how to develop corners in this system.
I kind of wonder if House was truly the best CB option for this team considering we had an emphasis on increasing INTs, and that's not one of his strong suits.

Quote:because he slipped and fell.

He didn't slip and fall. He got flagged for holding and Bryant roasted him for a TD.
Quote:He didn't slip and fall. He got flagged for holding and Bryant roasted him for a TD.
Looks like he fell to me. He tried to jam, took a hand to the face and fell. That is the only reason Bryant was so wide open. Flag should not have been thrown on the Jags.

https://youtu.be/0Xc-3YAoRDc
unfortunately there was no replay on the TD play where house slipped, but there was also a cheap shot delievered by Bryant. So no one gets to talk about the true play! But House made up the rest of the times he was in there. If you still have it on DVR, watch the play from the beginning and you will get only a glimse of the contact. don't get distracted by the annoucers 

Quote:unfortunately there was no replay on the TD play where house slipped, but there was also a cheap shot delievered by Bryant. So no one gets to talk about the true play! But House made up the rest of the times he was in there. If you still have it on DVR, watch the play from the beginning and you will get only a glimse of the contact. don't get distracted by the annoucers

Bryant palmed him to the ground, I've watched it multiple times, saw no hold. If anything it's closer to offensive PI but was within 5 yards so it's legal
Quote:Bryant palmed him to the ground, I've watched it multiple times, saw no hold. If anything it's closer to offensive PI but was within 5 yards so it's legal

This.

Bryant pretty much stiff armed him to the ground legally.
Quote:This.

Bryant pretty much stiff armed him to the ground legally.

Yup. And I swear I heard somewhere that House was trying a new press technique on that play also. Apparently it didn't work well lol