Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jacksonville leading the League in Strength and Conditioning?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to College Strength and Conditioning Boyd Epley they are. Excerpts from the article where Epley was interviewed about his previous student and current Chip Kelly's Sports Science guy, Shaun Huls follows:

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"...You mentioned before that he's on the cutting edge of what he does. How so?

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">'He's on the cutting edge by utilizing the latest in technology. He's not only learning and looking for new and improved ways to develop athletes, he's smart enough to understand what he's looking at. Not everyone has that ability to understand what they're seeing, but Shaun does. There are a lot of NFL teams trying to copy what he's doing. He is, in a lot of ways, ahead of most them. Of course, they're each pretty secretive, but there's probably only a handful that'd be in the same league as him.'

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">In what ways is he ahead of other NFL teams?

<p style="margin-left:40px;">'The Jacksonville Jaguars are also in that same league. There may be a couple of others that I'm not familiar with, but certainly those two are leading the pack that I'm aware of for the NFL. They're using sports science to evaluate how to put the best talent on the field.
'..."

I'm assuming the GPS are a part of that. I forgot where I heard this but I thought it was interesting...

Besides tracking the workload on a player, those GPS units are also able to track things like speed and acceleration for each rep of each player.

It allows you to evaluate on an individual basis how many reps player x can run his routes before he loses efficiency or a guys acceleration in and out of his breaks. Pretty cool.
I wonder if they're applying sports science to figure out ideal matchups versus their opponents.

Quote:I'm assuming the GPS are a part of that. I forgot where I heard this but I thought it was interesting...

Besides tracking the workload on a player, those GPS units are also able to track things like speed and acceleration for each rep of each player.

It allows you to evaluate on an individual basis how many reps player x can run his routes before he loses efficiency or a guys acceleration in and out of his breaks. Pretty cool.

That may have been part of the Marqise Lee story when he got a day off early in camp.
I think it's called The "Nord Board"?? It's the thing they use to test how much wear they can take on their hamstrings, or something like that. It may be also tied in to the GPS deal as well. Of course it's only a tool and not a way to physically prevent hamstring injuries as we WELL KNOW (Lee), but it's another tool.

Khan is a new fangled type of owner. I think he spares no expense to get the latest and greatest if it gives our team one iota of a leg up. I love it!

Myslinski uses things like heart rate variability monitoring (HRV)  This allows him to gauge whether a player is overtrained or not.

This team has been desperate for a genuine S&C coach and not another recycled buddy hire that dominates the whole league.

Looks like we got ourselves a great catch 
Quote:Myslinski uses things like heart rate variability monitoring (HRV)  This allows him to gauge whether a player is overtrained or not.

This team has been desperate for a genuine S&C coach and not another recycled buddy hire that dominates the whole league.

Looks like we got ourselves a great catch 

Man, I hope you're right. If the S & C department can put players on the field in optimum shape, that'll go a long way towards helping the team.
But we have the most injuries in all of sports!!