Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Benn to IR. And other roster moves.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The Jaguars waived injured receiver Damian Copeland this morning and signed receiver Erik Lora.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">After practice, they placed receiver Arrelious Benn on injured reserve and waive-injured offensive tackle Brennan Williams. They signed linebacker Mister Alexander and offensive lineman Will Corbin.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544...ed-reserve

I feel bad for a guy like A Benn, I'm hoping he gets another shot next year.

0-16

Speaking of roster moves. When are first cuts?
Quote:Speaking of roster moves. When are first cuts?

Sept 1
I know you don't often find guys who make the team on the street towards the end of August, but Lora's intriguing. He's a little guy at 5'10" 200, ran a 4.48 at his pro day, and he was a stud in college (albeit at Eastern Illinois) with 123 receptions and 19 TDs as a senior in 2013. Looks like a "man among boys" type, which is always a good thing to see in lower-tier players. Lora's also got some experience returning kicks and punts. He's already been cut a couple of times at the NFL level, but there's definitely an opening here for someone like that.

So, we're officially going to have Cap Capi and Mister Alexander on the roster. This is starting to sound like one of those old XFL league teams.

If we sign He Hate Me, I'm out...

So who is our 5th receiver now?  And do we keep 5 TEs? 

Quote:So who is our 5th receiver now?  And do we keep 5 TEs? 

They've been talking Washington up all camp. I think he'll be in line to grab that spot, if they don't look outside the organization. And, I think Nic Jacobs will be on the outside looking in for the last TE spot. I think those will go to Thomas, Lewis, Harbor, and Koyack.
Quote:So who is our 5th receiver now?  And do we keep 5 TEs? 
I'd say the fifth receiver job is pretty wide open if Walters hasn't locked on to a return job. I doubt that the Jaguars keep five tight ends, although Thomas, Lewis, Harbor and Koyack on the roster with Hamlett (or a Sept. 6 pickup) on the practice squad is possible.
5th WR job is Walters/Washington

Sterling could nab a spot as a 6th WR and a 5th TE. 

Benn's injury opens the door for Sterling. But he needs to get on the field and play these last two games.

Washington has gotten some press, but I don't recall seeing much from him in game time. Granted these guys roles will be minimal anyway as a 5th or 6th. But if I'm guessing 2 of those 3 make it, with the other a PS player.
Sterling has not even really seen the field. I would not be surprised if he ends up an IR stash.

Quote:Sterling has not even really seen the field. I would not be surprised if he ends up an IR stash.

That's probably the plan. Sterling is raw as all get out. A full year on the practice sidelines and meeting room and a full offseason will help him a ton.
Feel bad for Ben. Looking forward to first cuts tho.

It can be confusing, I think this is how it works....

They have to have the roster down to 53 players (eight of which are practice squad players {7 if the team has 3 qbs}) to a 45 man game day roster.

If you put a player on the Practice squad any of the other teams can sign him provided he goes immediately to their 45-man active roster and as long as he isnt going to the opposing team five days or 9 for bye week.

Side note:  Players are usually only allowed to be on a team's Practice squad for up to two years (if they are on it for six weeks or more it counts as a PS year).

They can get an addtl 3rd year if the team keeps an active 53 roster at all times.

A team can cut a Practice Squad (PS) at any time without penalty.  If on PS with minimum pay they make 107k as opposed to active roster minimum is 420k, so only making a qtr of the amt is motivation for ya.

By Sept 1st prior to 4pm EST every team in the NFL must have their roster down to 75 players.

By Sept. 5 prior to 4pm EST every team must reduce their roster to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.

---------------  Update

Okay I guess I am wrong they can have 10 players on the PS according to CBS Sports link below...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...-is-sept-1
They're also allowed to keep an 11th player on the PS provided he's an international player.

Benn was definitely going to make the team as the 5th WR. We was having a great camp.

Hes got the talent to make NFL squads, just cant seem to shake the bad luck.

Doss and Walters I like more as the 5th WR then Washington, they do more on ST

Quote:Doss and Walters I like more as the 5th WR then Washington, they do more on ST

Doss does nothing more me. His 4.6-something speed keeps him from getting open, and on returns he's as bland and boring as it gets. He seems to go down instantly upon contact.  

Gremlins I tell Ya, Gremlins...

NH3...

Pages: 1 2