Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Post Giants Presser Snippets (Bradley)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here are O'Hallorans quick takes from Bradley's conference call with media today:

(notables include expected preseason action from Sample and Yeldon in week 3)

Quote:*WR Arrelious Benn will have surgery for a broken collarbone sustained in the game.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">*WR Greg Jenkins was added to the injury report with a high ankle sprain.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">*FS James Sample will be available to play Friday against Detroit.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">*RB T.J. Yeldon will take the red non-contact jersey off and play against Detroit. Bradley said Yeldon’s reps will “mostly be with the 1s.”

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">*Bradley said having C Stefen Wisniewski and C Luke Bowanko split reps with the starters on Friday, “could still happen.”

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">*Bradley said the Jaguars had six drops. “We have to continue to clean that up … and (catches) they make every day on the practice field. Surely, we recognize it and we have to clean up those drops.”

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">*Bradley said the Jaguars had 11 men on the field for every special teams snap, unlike last week against Pittsburgh, when they had 10 men on the field for four snaps.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">*Bradley on the first-team run game: “We ran the ball in critical times when we needed it.”

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">*As for the other injuries, the Jaguars didn’t put timetables on returns for CB Demetrius McCray, LB Khairi Fortt, LB LaRoy Reynolds and LT Josh Wells.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">*Bradley on WR/PR Rashad Greene: “You can feel the team gaining confidence in him [as a returner]. The one he muffed, he felt like he could have gained a lot of yards on.”

Could this be Wells' ticket to Double Secret Injured Reserve?

Quote:Could this be Wells' ticket to Double Secret Injured Reserve?
If his injury is season ending I think it helps the teams decision on which guys to keep. Sam Young didn't look to bad at LT so he may be the swing OT if Wells is out.

I would expect Joeckel, Parnell, and Young as the OT's. Beadles, Linder, Cann, as the OG's and Bow, Wiz, and Shatley as the C's.
Quote:I would expect Joeckel, Parnell, and Young as the OT's. Beadles, Linder, Cann, as the OG's and Bow, Wiz, and Shatley as the C's.
I think they'd keep four tackles and five interior linemen vs. three tackles and six on the inside.
Quote:I think they'd keep four tackles and five interior linemen vs. three tackles and six on the inside.

You're probably right and that seems like the right thing to do. I would just hope that the team would not keep a fourth OT that is clearly inferior as a player than one of the six interior guys just for the sake of having the correct numbers. If the backup OT's are PS type talents and the interior guys are clearly better then wouldn't you keep the six better interior guys? Sam Young can be the swing tackle on Sundays and if the worse happens (losing two OT's during one game) you bump out Linder or Bow, who to my knowledge both had some experience at OT in college, to finish off the game and sign one of the PS OT's during the week.

That's just what my thinking is of course. I have know idea how the teams feels about the other OT's on the roster or even how serious Wells injury is.

Like I said though, your reasoning seems more likely to happen.
Quote:You're probably right and that seems like the right thing to do. I would just hope that the team would not keep a fourth OT that is clearly inferior as a player than one of the six interior guys just for the sake of having the correct numbers. If the backup OT's are PS type talents and the interior guys are clearly better then wouldn't you keep the six better interior guys? Sam Young can be the swing tackle on Sundays and if the worse happens (losing two OT's during one game) you bump out Linder or Bow, who to my knowledge both had some experience at OT in college, to finish off the game and sign one of the PS OT's during the week.
Remember how awful Sam Young was at RT last year? I wouldn't want him to be the only backup option. If all of your backup tackles are practice squad-caliber, you need to invest in some new backup tackles.

Something else to keep in mind: Linder and Bowanko (and Beadles, for that matter) have experience at tackle in college, but haven't so much as sniffed the position in the pros. If you flip, say, Linder outside to right tackle, you're hurting two positions: right guard, where Linder had been playing at a high level and is now replaced by a lower-tier player, and right tackle, where Linder hasn't taken a live snap since college. Some position flips can work. Parnell has NFL game experience at both tackle spots, and if Joeckel went down, I believe he could slide over to the left side and play at a high level with a backup tackle taking over on the less-important right side, but generally speaking, having your backup plan be a shuffle of the offensive line does more harm than good. Swing guys are great to have, but you generally want those guys to be your backups, not your starters.
Wells injury shouldn't impact him all that much as a backup OT. I just can't imagine the team parting ways with him as much as he's been progressing. There are only so many big guys his size capable of manning the LT position, and he may have a future there. If keeping Wells means parting with a guy like Shatley or Pasztor, then so be it.

Quote:Wells injury shouldn't impact him all that much as a backup OT. I just can't imagine the team parting ways with him as much as he's been progressing. There are only so many big guys his size capable of manning the LT position, and he may have a future there. If keeping Wells means parting with a guy like Shatley or Pasztor, then so be it.
Each of the past two years, the Jaguars have gone with four tackles and five interior linemen as their typical roster configuration (adjusting for injuries). They'll almost certainly do the same this year, and Wells is probably one of those four.

Given the uncertainty surrounding Joeckel, I'm all in favor of hanging on to anyone that shows potential at left tackle just in case Joeckel doesn't make it to 2016.
The Jaguars WR talent depth is weak in my opinion, so why not bench Allen Robinson against the Lions or very limited play & the following week to avoid him being injured prior to the season opener?

Quote:The Jaguars WR talent depth is weak in my opinion, so why not bench Allen Robinson against the Lions or very limited play & the following week to avoid him being injured prior to the season opener?
Why not bench him week 1. He could get injured then too...
Quote:The Jaguars WR talent depth is weak in my opinion, so why not bench Allen Robinson against the Lions or very limited play & the following week to avoid him being injured prior to the season opener?

No
The third preseason game is the dress rehearsal for the starting units. It's a critical game for everyone that hasn't seen much action since last December to get up to speed, and even more important this year because of the new offensive scheme. Robinson might sit out the fourth game entirely if he's banged up, but he will spend a lot of time on the field this week with the rest of the ones.