Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From the Giants Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We all felt good about the way the team was progressing after the win against Pittsburgh last week.  But we wondered could we, to use Gus Bradley's terminology, stack a couple of wins together on the road against the G-Men?  Unfortunately we didn't, but there is much to discuss about the game.  Let's get to it.  Of course, all of my views are subject to further review and revision.

1.  Rotoworld did a hatchet job on Bortles last night, indicating he was panicking in the pocket when there was pressure.  I now realize where retired Pravda writers go and do with their time, because that bit of propaganda would have done them proud.  Bortles was fine last night.  Last preseason, there was an urgency and an arrogance to the way he played.  This year thus far, the abiding sense I get from him is one of control.  Last night he moved the team effectively on all of his possessions.  Every throw seemed to find an open guy, and his misses were not misses by much.  One was a case of miscommunication (and both receivers in the area were open).  A couple of other plays could have been as much a matter of timing as accuracy.  Again he was victimized by some drops, including the one time he threw into double coverage.  Hurns got behind the double coverage and Bortles hit him in the hands with the ball on a deep pass.  Hurns dropped it. Brunell critiqued Bortles on the play by not hitting Clay Harbor who was breaking wide open underneath Hurns towards the right sidelines.  I cannot dream of saying I know more about QB than Brunell.  But given that Hurns got behind the coverage and given the throw was accurate, I, speaking solely as a fan, cannot find much fault with Bortles on the play.  There were no plays where Bortles threw and I was left wondering what in the world was he thinking.  By all accounts thus far, Bortles is progressing nicely.  We are hearing it from the coaching staff and the media members who are attending practices.  We saw it when we went to the practices and the scrimmage.  We are now seeing it unfold before our eyes in the preseason.  He isn't a hall of famer yet, but it appears he will give us at least competent QB play for the first time in years.

2.  Continuing on the Rotoworld "critique," they said he panicked under pressure.  Now perhaps their definition of pressure is different from mine, but I only recall one play that Bortles faced any real pressure, and that was the fumble.  That is a testament to the play of the offensive line.  I thought the first team OL did a very good job in the game.  I thought this year's pariah, Joeckel, played well.  He was flagged for holding, but from the replay angles, that looked like a questionable call.  I felt Wiz did quite well in his start, and I noticed movement in the running game on his blocks, which is a good thing.  The running game as a whole continued its solid play.  Robinson and Gerhart were getting good gains.  The first team OL deserves praise for the second week in a row.

3.  It really stinks to see McCray and George Reynolds go down on back to back plays with apparent knee injuries.  Both walked off and put weight on their legs.  Hopefully, neither player is seriously injured.

4.  It was good to see Odrick and Miller return from injuries.  Unfortunately, that did not translate into stoutness against the run or pressure on Manning.  The Giants running game gashed us a couple of times when the first teams were in, and Manning had time to throw and throw deep on us, even though he didn't complete many passes.

5.  I would like to think Manning's early struggles came against a defense with a talented secondary who shut down the Giant receivers.  You could say it happened, but Cruz and Randle didn't play.  OBJ really didn't do much of anything, beside give a frustrated shot to Sergio Brown that should have been flagged.  

6.  IIRC, Hurns dropped a couple of passes last night, including the bomb.  It doesn't do any good for him to beat coverage if he can't catch the ball when delivered reasonably to him.  Robinson, on the other hand, showed why so many here are excited about the receiver he could become.  His catch and run was a thing of beauty.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.  Dante Fowler-IR; DNP

B.  T.J. Yeldon-DNP

C.  A.J. Cann-last week, I remarked that Cann did not get much movement in the running game, but tended to provide a pristine pocket from inside.  He continued his good pass protection from what I saw, but there were times he dominated his guy in the running game, at one point folding his guy over on a double team.

D.  James Sample-DNP

E.  Rashad Greene-had a nice punt return, though it was not as good as the one last week.  Also had a fumbled return that he fortunately recovered himself.  He played early with the first team in the slot, and had 2-3 catches as I recall.  Good game overall, but he has to correct the fumbled punt.

F.  Michael Bennett-Did not stand out to me, but I wasn't focused on him.  I definitely have to go back and review the game to comment intelligently here.  If anyone else has some insight as to his performance, I welcome the input.

G.  Neal Sterling-DNP.  He'd better get healthy fast.

H.  Ben Koyack-Did not stand out to me.

I.  Cap Capi-Did not seem to flash the pass rush ability he showed last week, though I was impressed with his hustle in pursuit on a running play.

J.  Corey Grant-showed good speed on a kick return.  Has a shot at making this roster.  Will be a difficult cut.

K.  Nick Marshall-was off sides on a FG attempt but did not seem to stand out.  Another player that requires additional review from me.

8.  I thought Armbrister was all over the place last night.  Even though he had that PI penalty, I thought he was in excellent position on the play, just like he was on that wheel route in practice.  He looks like he can be a very good nickel backer for us because he seems really good in coverage downfield.

9.  Scobee looked good on his kickoff and long FG attempt (which nets those who registered a free Firehouse sub!!!!!).  Myers had a very good performance last night. 

10.  Bottom line:  While the Jaguars lost the game, once again there were a lot of encouraging signs to take from the game.  Bortles seemingly showed a command of the offense and of opposing defenses, making good decisions and avoiding bad decisions.  He needs to continue honing his timing down with the receivers, and maybe adjusting a throw here or there, but he appears on the right track.  The running game and the OL once again showed improvement and competency, and this is without Yeldon.  I am still worried about the defensive line stopping the run and pressuring the passer, and I am hoping the injured guys are not seriously injured and will return soon to the lineup.  But I like a lot of what I am seeing.   

I didn't notice George having gone down, but nobody has even mentioned his name with regard to injury so he's fine. McCray suffered a right knee contusion so he'll be fine certainly by the start of the season, but I'm guessing he plays the last preseason game. Forte is getting an MRI so we should know more soon.

Marshall is sticking with his guy but needs more work on making plays on the ball and tackling. He's just not ready yet and needs some seasoning on the PS. I see some long-term potential in the guy, but he's ready to take the field in an NFL game.

Grant simply has to make the roster or I'm going to Seattle and jumping off the space needle.

Myers continues to show off his strong leg. I'd love to see if we could trade Scobee for a decent pick or a speedy WR.

Cap didn't do much in this game, but then again the only DEs I saw getting any pressure were Chris Smith and Ryan Davis.

I think the most important aspect we've seen so far is Blake is being protected well. This will allow him to continue to use those skills he worked on in the offseason and hopefully they'll stick through the entire season. How long has it been since we've seen a QB with more than a nano second in the pocket before it collapses. The lions will be a good test to see if that holds, but it already looks worlds better than the last several years.
The Jaguars did okay last night, they led when the starters played, though I doubt Eli and the Giants would have looked so lackadaisical in a game that mattered in the standings. That said it's nice to see they finally found a good use for Alualu and it's good that the offensive line seems to be less offensive than its been in years past. The defense looks set for struggle without Marks to force the opposing offense to account for someone and last night's success was more about the Giants looking bad than the Jaguars looking like they were doing something to throw the Giants off of their game. Still I hope the defense can do better in the regular season. Finally I think the Jaguars probably would have scored a TD at some point last night if Julius Thomas were in the game and Hurns dropping passes just seems to be what he does. Even last year on long passes he'd often bobble them and end up getting tackled or having it knocked away instead of scoring a TD like he would be able to if he caught it cleanly.

There is no way I expose Marshall to the practice squad at this point.

Quote:The Jaguars did okay last night, they led when the starters played, though I doubt Eli and the Giants would have looked so lackadaisical in a game that mattered in the standings. That said it's nice to see they finally found a good use for Alualu and it's good that the offensive line seems to be less offensive than its been in years past. The defense looks set for struggle without Marks to force the opposing offense to account for someone and last night's success was more about the Giants looking bad than the Jaguars looking like they were doing something to throw the Giants off of their game. Still I hope the defense can do better in the regular season. Finally I think the Jaguars probably would have scored a TD at some point last night if Julius Thomas were in the game and Hurns dropping passes just seems to be what he does. Even last year on long passes he'd often bobble them and end up getting tackled or having it knocked away instead of scoring a TD like he would be able to if he caught it cleanly.

Troy Williamson 2.0

Blake fit that ball in their perfectly in his chest between 2 defenders.  I'm loving Blake more each time he steps out on game day.  We might finally have a franchise QB Jacksonville, which I have never claimed after Brunnell.  That dude works the pocket like no other.  It's a shock to see a Jags QB do it because we've never seen it.  Last night Bortles climbed the pocket, side stepped pressure, and then delivered beautiful throws that ended of dropped.
Correction:  It was LaRoy Reynolds that went down after McCray, not George.

I can see some comparisons between Brunell and Bortles. They both have an innate ability to sense pressure and can throw on the run when needed, and they both have the ability to convert the clutch third down plays. I recall when Brunell was in there that even when it was third and long they had a good chance of converting the down with his arm. With Garrard you were counting on his legs to convert a third down.

Quote:Correction:  It was LaRoy Reynolds that went down after McCray, not George.

Oh yeah. Reynolds is a MCL sprain which I'm thinking is a 3-week injury. He probably misses week one.

Quote:I can see some comparisons between Brunell and Bortles. They both have an innate ability to sense pressure and can throw on the run when needed, and they both have the ability to convert the clutch third down plays. I recall when Brunell was in there that even when it was third and long they had a good chance of converting the down with his arm. With Garrard you were counting on his legs to convert a third down.

My father described it as "not being scared to win." Some QBs seem to crap their pants when they have to throw a ball to or past the first down marker or into the end zone for some reason as if they're scared to do something that would bring success, and some guys are always looking to throw that winning pass. Brunell later in his career seemed to regress and the gatorade cooler became his favorite target on third and long, but right now Bortles is still bold enough to throw the ball 20 yards on third and 20.
Quote:I can see some comparisons between Brunell and Bortles. They both have an innate ability to sense pressure and can throw on the run when needed, and they both have the ability to convert the clutch third down plays. I recall when Brunell was in there that even when it was third and long they had a good chance of converting the down with his arm. With Garrard you were counting on his legs to convert a third down.
Agreed.  Bortles shoots for sticks 90% of the time.  Henne says "let me find the check down."  It's so refreshing to have a good QB for once.
Quote:My father described it as "not being scared to win." Some QBs seem to crap their pants when they have to throw a ball to or past the first down marker or into the end zone for some reason as if they're scared to do something that would bring success, and some guys are always looking to throw that winning pass. Brunell later in his career seemed to regress and the gatorade cooler became his favorite target on third and long, but right now Bortles is still bold enough to throw the ball 20 yards on third and 20.
Also the throw to Hurns he chose not to throw it to a wide open Harbor.  He wanted the TD, and a real starting WR would have hauled that in for a TD.
Quote:Also the throw to Hurns he chose not to throw it to a wide open Harbor.  He wanted the TD, and a real starting WR would have hauled that in for a TD.

Exactly. Some guys are always looking for the win and some guys are always looking for the outlet pass. Bortles is the former right now, and I want it to stay that way. If it were Thomas instead of Harbor (or whatever TE was the underneath on that play) then maybe he looks there first due to the quality of the target, but I have no problem with him throwing a great pass to Hurns when Harbor dropped a perfect pass last week.
Bortles has really impressed me.

Hands down the most talented QB we've had since Mark Brunell and arguably the most talented QB we've ever had.  This is from a pure talent standpoint, not stats or production as he's only starting year two obviously.  The talent shows more and more each time he steps onto the field.

He has that quality about him, the aggressiveness, to go for the win.  The Rotoworld crap about him being panicked is a joke.

Gabbert was panicked.  Gabbert curling into the fetal position when pressured is panic.

Bottles is poised, strong, and aggressive.  He's got pocket presence and awareness that our previous QBs never had.

A few comments:

1. I don't see the Jags putting Grant on the PS. He's earned the job as the KR.

2. Hurns has sure been disappointing this preseason. He needs to spend a few days with a jugs machine. He does get open deep, which is something the Jags need, but it does no good if he can't catch the pass.

3. Marshall will be safe as a practice squad player, but he also might be the Jags 5th best CB by default. After Gratz the depth is that bad.

4. The Jags defense would have been toasted had Eli been anywhere near accurate and Beckham not pulled a Hurns. Their receivers were open all game. One of the 'tipped passes' was actually a pass that bounced of a Giants lineman's helmet.

5. I agree the whole starting OL looked good. It's been a long time since I've seen that. We also have good depth in the interior OL.

6. Cap Capi didn't get a sack but he played well for a 2nd week.

7. I watched Bennett a few plays. He did nothing. maybe there's a reason he lasted until the 6th round.

8. Bortles wasn't as accurate as last week, but he made the right decisions and didn't have any glaringly bad passes.

9. Henne had a bad game, even for Henne.

Quote: A few comments:

8. Bortles wasn't as accurate as last week, but he made the right decisions and didn't have any glaringly bad passes.

Bortles was a tiny bit off on a few passes, that being said, everything was definitely very catchable besides the one miscommunication play.
75% of Bortles throws were on the money.  He did throw a couple off point but the majority of the incomplete was on the receivers.
The pass to Hurns was a thing of beauty.
Quote:There is no way I expose Marshall to the practice squad at this point.

He should be safe there. You see, if another team were to sign him off the PS they'd have to immediately play him, and as I mentioned, he's not ready to play.

Quote: A few comments:

1. I don't see the Jags putting Grant on the PS. He's earned the job as the KR.

I have to think he's a roster lock at this point. Should he continue to be the best KR, there's no doubt he'll make it.

2. Hurns has sure been disappointing this preseason. He needs to spend a few days with a jugs machine. He does get open deep, which is something the Jags need, but it does no good if he can't catch the pass.

I'm reminded of when Brunell said that Alvis Whitted couldn't catch a cold in the winter. Fortunately, his hands are nowhere near as bad as Whitted's. With Whitted's 4.22 speed, he'd have been a perennial pro bowler if only he could catch the ball. I always thought they should move him to CB.

3. Marshall will be safe as a practice squad player, but he also might be the Jags 5th best CB by default. After Gratz the depth is that bad.

Rashaad Reynolds is our 5th best CB. He's starting to ball out there.

4. The Jags defense would have been toasted had Eli been anywhere near accurate and Beckham not pulled a Hurns. Their receivers were open all game. One of the 'tipped passes' was actually a pass that bounced of a Giants lineman's helmet.

At least early on I thought the coverage looked alright. Still they can use some INTs, but guys were batting down passes out there.

5. I agree the whole starting OL looked good. It's been a long time since I've seen that. We also have good depth in the interior OL.

Linder makes me giddy inside.

6. Cap Capi didn't get a sack but he played well for a 2nd week.

He's certainly a strong candidate for the PS.

7. I watched Bennett a few plays. He did nothing. maybe there's a reason he lasted until the 6th round.

Judging a player on a few plays is what rotoworld just did with Bortles. Looking at his entire body of work, Bennett is doing fine.

He's yet to have a glaringly bad pass this preseason. What's incredible is that he doesn't throw the ball away and he doesn't just throw to a safe spot. On every throw he's putting it right where a Jaguars WR can catch it. VIrtually every incomplete is a drop.

9. Henne had a bad game, even for Henne.

He's had worse. They should probably put a picture of him next to the term "inconsistent" in the dictionary.
Pages: 1 2