Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 3 Weeks to go till the start of the regular season. What are the major concerns?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pass Rush should be close to the top of everyone's list.  I have seen very little of it so far. (cap capi will not make a difference against starters)  It's hard to say what kind of shape Marks will come in and does old man clemons still have it?  It's a concern

Receiver Reliability.  Lee cannot stay healthy, Hurns is a crapshoot to make the catch, while the rest of the group outside of Robinson are unproven. 

Protecting the QB: Two weeks in a row the starting oline made a stupid mistake and gave a Dlineman a free run at the QB.  This simply cannot happen. IF Bortles goes down cause of poor oline play you might as well write  the season off right now.
Pass rush definitely. Clemons will be good for another 7-8 sacks but after that it's a problem. Marks won't be himself til probably midseason (see Geno Atkins). I had hopes for Branch, Smith and Davis but the have looked unimpressive so far. Maybe when we start game planning things will change but it's a concern right now.

Hurns is in his own head right now. And the Benn injury hurts.

And yeah we can't let these monsters get free shots on Blake come regular season. That whiff by Toby was probably a miscommunication between blocking assignments but that can't happen. We play Watt 2x and that Buffalo line is scary.
Pass rush worst I've seen right now and I have seen nearly all of the preseason games. Granted it is just preseason. But we really need senderrick and Clemons to return to form.

Not as worried about the WRs since I think the TE's will be more involved once the season arrives. But yes they do need to become more consistent.

Still not sold on safety play or house yet..

Next week against Detroit may scare many of us who are looking to see something more out of our d.
Pass rush

Pass rush

Pass rush

I don't think Clemons fixes it.
We are a heavy scheming team when it comes to pass rush. We don't scheme during the pre-season, but its sad that we can't get sacks or pressure without it. Expect the same stuff from last year. High sack numbers, but bottom of the league in pressures. Sen'Derrick, Bennett, Odrick and Miller will stop the run, I have no doubt about that. Ryan Davis, Branch, Clemons, and Skuta will have to scheme blitzes constantly to make up for the low pressures. Just like last year, and we were suppose to change this by having Fowler, but you know how that went...

injuries

This team is missing Clemons and Marks more than we know apparently. I'm not majorly concerned with the pass rush. I'm confident Gus will figure out what's going on there. That has always been a strength of ours since he came in. I expected more from Chris Smith and Andre Branch this preseason. I'm always concerned with our safeties and our linebackers in coverage. Other then that it's just injuries. One thing you don't want is for a regular season contributor getting sidelined from a preseason incident. With Benn out now I hope Lee can come back soon.

What concerns me a bit is that Caldwell clearly was a bit unsettled still at WR, or he never would have gone after Cobb. Cobb's a special talent, but I was surprised we didnt do more to address the position once we missed out on him. There are just too many unknowns at the position going into a critical year for the regime and the quarterback.
Scoring points.

Red zone efficiency has been poor.
Chris Smith or Ryan Davis should start leo
LB depth.....lost 2 guys tonight that are 2nd string lbers.
Quote:What concerns me a bit is that Caldwell clearly was a bit unsettled still at WR, or he never would have gone after Cobb. Cobb's a special talent, but I was surprised we didnt do more to address the position once we missed out on him. There are just too many unknowns at the position going into a critical year for the regime and the quarterback.

A veteran WR was needed after Shorts' departure indeed. They tried to get Jennings after the Cobb miss. We don't know what happened there. Did he decide to choose Miami instead? Any other viable vets lurking? With Benn now clavicled, something is amiss. We may see some moves after cuts.
Yeah the defense in general worries me.

Offensively, it's the offensive line and the drops that worry me.
I am concerned about the fact that gus bradly is still the head coach mostly

This guys a motivator, not a coach

No DFJ. That's going to be the difference between two to three wins
The defense doesn't concern me yet.  Once they start scheming heavily I think we'll see different results.

Not having Dante Fowler Jr does hurt though.  

Putting points on the board is a bit of a concern.  The offense needs to get into the end zone more but it's only week 2 of the preseason and it's a new offense with a few new pieces.  We're also missing our biggest FA in Thomas and 2nd round RB in Yeldon so it's a bit tough to judge.
Gus Bradley... JK

Consistent pass rush has been the problem. As stated above our sacks come from schemes rather than brute strength or finesse.

Pass rush and dropped passes are the glaring deficiencies at the moment.
Quote:What concerns me a bit is that Caldwell clearly was a bit unsettled still at WR, or he never would have gone after Cobb. Cobb's a special talent, but I was surprised we didnt do more to address the position once we missed out on him. There are just too many unknowns at the position going into a critical year for the regime and the quarterback.
Caldwell did the best he could with the talent willing to go to a losing team. When and if we become a .500+ team it will be a bit easier to attract much better talent. That said, with the addition of JT, and with our returning WRs as well as an emphases on improving our running game, which along with our other 2 good TEs, will overall improve our offense over last year.
Concerns would be game preparation, x's and o's, adjustments during the game, which describes our head coach. This team has more talent than last seasons team. Another less than 5 win season is unacceptable that is if no major key players get season ending injuries.
Pages: 1 2