Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Skuta and the NY Giants
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw Skuta on the field during the 3rd quarter. Thought he was a starter and was surprised to see him in there at that point of the game.

Earlier in the week, Jaguar radio shows (Prisco, Boselli, Lags) didn't speak of him.

Any word on Skuta, his play tonight, anything?
We were running a different package trying to counter the Giants. He wouldn't fit in the one we were running, so he had limited playing time.

He was playing Leo late in the game. I don't blame the coaches for giving him a go at Leo as when currently have none on the roster that can give us any pressure.
He played decent tonight. His biggest bust happened when he got sealed off by the LT on one of their longer running plays. He did manage to generate some pressure in a handful of plays he was asked to rush the passer.
Thanks for the explanations.

I started drinking much more heavilly after Bottles sat down because at that point didn't really give a rat's tookus to watch the back ups but that caught my eye.
We haven't really heard much out of any of our linebackers this preseason.

Quote:He played decent tonight. His biggest bust happened when he got sealed off by the LT on one of their longer running plays. He did manage to generate some pressure in a handful of plays he was asked to rush the passer.

Same thing that happened on Bell's long run last week. Sealed off easily- big hole.
Quote:Same thing that happened on Bell's long run last week. Sealed off easily- big hole.

To be fair the other LBs aren't exactly flying around to fill those holes either. A 250 pound man vs a 300 pound man will normally lose the battle head to head. All that's being asked of Skuta is to occupy that tackle long enough so the other guys can get over to make the play. That's not happening enough.
Last week Gus mentioned that they're trying to give Skuta extra reps as he's still learning the Otto position.

Quote:To be fair the other LBs aren't exactly flying around to fill those holes either. A 250 pound man vs a 300 pound man will normally lose the battle head to head. All that's being asked of Skuta is to occupy that tackle long enough so the other guys can get over to make the play. That's not happening enough.

Precisely, him getting sealed off may not be an indictment on him, a lot of times the OLB's job is to set the edge by taking on the block to bounce the play inside to the MLB to make the play/tackle and fill the whole once the edge is sealed. like knarnn said i didn't really see a ton of flow from the LB's or anyone flying around making plays. I was at the game and can attest that Skuta didn't look bad in the slightest but by the same token wasn't eye popping.
Quote:Thanks for the explanations.

I started drinking much more heavilly after Bottles sat down because at that point didn't really give a rat's tookus to watch the back ups but that caught my eye.

That's funny !!